eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Misthi Dhoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I also had that doubt about curd helping the milk if we directly put the cold milk for baking Dolly. Usually for the milk to set we use warm milk and not heat up to 395 D F right? i agree with the warming phase. i do the same thing when making idli and it takes about 2 days to ferment.

Also, after I removed the milk from the oven, it felt like the milk was boiling over. It had a brown layer (just like Creme Brulee) and that time itself I had doubts about milk setting any further.
u used 395 D F?

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
u used 395 D F?
well, Kranti's instructions said 200 D C for 30 mins...I converted it to F and used 395.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, Kranti's instructions said 200 D C for 30 mins...I converted it to F and used 395.
heres what i wld have done, whipped it together and warmed it up at 200 F and then stirred in the yogurt and set aside for setting.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
heres what i wld have done, whipped it together and warmed it up at 200 F and then stirred in the yogurt and set aside for setting.
ok..let me try this with 1/2 liter milk. yesterday I tried full fat 1.5 liters and poured everything down the drain. But i dont think I have a 200 D F in my oven though; I think it starts at 350 F. Have to see.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
IDLE Treasurer

Quote:
ok..let me try this with 1/2 liter milk. yesterday I tried full fat 1.5 liters and poured everything down the drain. But i dont think I have a 200 D F in my oven though; I think it starts at 350 F. Have to see.
well then improvise . heat the mixture in microwave to get it warm or on the stove before whipping and skip the oven

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
well then improvise . heat the mixture in microwave to get it warm or on the stove before whipping and skip the oven
thats another way...but I guess we cant call that Mishti Dhoi anymore .
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
IDLE Treasurer

Quote:
thats another way...but I guess we cant call that Mishti Dhoi anymore .
misthi dhoi simply means sweet curds . thats not changing , now is it.

Im not a great cook by the way, this is just my logical inference

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Even 200 F is too hot to mix the yogurt. You will kill the acidophilus bacteria which will stop your yogurt from setting. Heat to 200 F, and then let cool to about 120 F before mixing all the other stuff in there. Then set in a warm place or wrap the container completely in a blanket and let sit overnight.
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
misthi dhoi simply means sweet curds . thats not changing , now is it.

Im not a great cook by the way, this is just my logical inference
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Even 200 F is too hot to mix the yogurt. You will kill the acidophilus bacteria which will stop your yogurt from setting. Heat to 200 F, and then let cool to about 120 F before mixing all the other stuff in there. Then set in a warm place or wrap the container completely in a blanket and let sit overnight.
Well if thats the case, why even bother baking up to 200 F? We might as well just boil the milk like we do on stove top, let it cool down a bit and then add the other ingredients right?
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well if thats the case, why even bother baking up to 200 F? We might as well just boil the milk like we do on stove top, let it cool down a bit and then add the other ingredients right?
Yes, you can boil - although that tends to kill ALL the bacteria (kinda like pasteurizing) which will just take the curd longer to set. Plus it starts to separate the cream from the milk which you dont want if you want a creamy curd.

Dont know exact reasons, but traditionally, you heat until its almost boiling which is about 200 F. And then you cool it down to where you can put a finger in it for a few seconds and it doesnt scald you - which is about 125.
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
IDLE Treasurer

Quote:
Yes, you can boil - although that tends to kill ALL the bacteria (kinda like pasteurizing) which will just take the curd longer to set. Plus it starts to separate the cream from the milk which you dont want if you want a creamy curd.

Dont know exact reasons, but traditionally, you heat until its almost boiling which is about 200 F. And then you cool it down to where you can put a finger in it for a few seconds and it doesnt scald you - which is about 125.
aapki rasoi knowlege bahut solid lagti hai.

Old October 4th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I told this before also Dolly he sure is Chef Ramsay .
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

Love cooking. And, of course, eating.

Only thing I dont do is presentation. Garnishes, frills etc. Cook in pot. Serve in same pot - with dhaniya being the only garnish where appropriate.
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Cook in pot. Serve in same pot - with dhaniya being the only garnish where appropriate.
thank God you dont post pictures from net.... people start to have doubts that you step into kitchen even once a month or not
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
IDLE Treasurer

Quote:

Love cooking. And, of course, eating.

Only thing I dont do is presentation. Garnishes, frills etc. Cook in pot. Serve in same pot - with dhaniya being the only garnish where appropriate.
I dont care abt frills as long as whats in the pot is scrumptious.