eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:45 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any dog owners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
she licks your face?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
yes...she likes to. I dont like it; I tolerate it because its her way to tell me she missed me.
The dog we had way back in 80s (we didnt even own it formally. it was a stray dog which stayed in our place) never licked any of us. It did like to bark and she got knocked up after 1 year. The 4 pups were quickly taken by 4 wannabe dog owners. The maintenance and liability in India is low.

Contrast that with the experience this morning. One dog saw me and started barking and running towards me. i just stopped and let the dog smell me and get over with it. The dog owner was deeply apologetic and did not catch me when i said "Barking Dogs don't bite". He was then training her not to bark. Which raised a question "It must be horrible to be a dog which cannot bark". the potential liability and maintenance in Umrika is quite high (should be in other western countries too). One lady who loves dogs (and doesnt have kids) says that a dog needs as much attention as a kid.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
The dog we had way back in 80s (we didnt even own it formally. it was a stray dog which stayed in our place) never licked any of us. It did like to bark and she got knocked up after 1 year. The 4 pups were quickly taken by 4 wannabe dog owners. The maintenance and liability in India is low.

Contrast that with the experience this morning. One dog saw me and started barking and running towards me. i just stopped and let the dog smell me and get over with it. The dog owner was deeply apologetic and did not catch me when i said "Barking Dogs don't bite". He was then training her not to bark. Which raised a question "It must be horrible to be a dog which cannot bark". the potential liability and maintenance in Umrika is quite high (should be in other western countries too). One lady who loves dogs (and doesnt have kids) says that a dog needs as much attention as a kid.
Did your dog live inside your home? Usually when the dogs become a part of the family (live inside our family rooms, have access to the kids, treats, backyard etc), they tend to display different set of emotions compared to dogs whom we just feed. I could be wrong, I am not an expert. This is a general observation.

From what I understand, he is training the dog to not bark is to make it assimilate in the main stream of living amongst humans. You teach to trust the owner that he/she will not put the dog in a harms way. When I first got mine, she used to scream bloody murder at everything and everyone. See my first post. we have come a very long way now. She no longer barks at people. She still gets very excited when she sees other dogs around but she doesnt attempt to rip my hand and take off.

We also got her 'fixed' 2 weeks ago, which, I think will help as she is now close to 9 months.

Think of it this way, kids cry and scream when a stranger comes home. You eventually train them not to do that isnt it? Same concept.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Think of it this way, kids cry and scream when a stranger comes home. You eventually train them not to do that isnt it? Same concept.
ermmm I dont understand why dog/pet owners say these things as same concept. I dont see how it is same - even concept. human brain is much more sophisticated and relies very less on animal instincts - human brain can learn, rationalise.
Dogs, not at the same level. sure you can teach them some things, their animal instincts are more.... well, animally... you cant for example teach a rabbit to be ferocious or be trackers, nor can you teach a dog to borrow in the ground to make a home/dwelling....

abilities of humans - do I need to say anything?
Old September 24th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
ermmm I dont understand why dog/pet owners say these things as same concept. I dont see how it is same - even concept. human brain is much more sophisticated and relies very less on animal instincts - human brain can learn, rationalise.
Dogs, not at the same level. sure you can teach them some things, their animal instincts are more.... well, animally... you cant for example teach a rabbit to be ferocious or be trackers, nor can you teach a dog to borrow in the ground to make a home/dwelling....

abilities of humans - do I need to say anything?
We are not trying to teach a dog to dig burrow (they are pretty good in searching for dream bones though). We are trying (actually succeeded) teach a dog not to bark.
Old September 24th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We are not trying to teach a dog to dig burrow (they are pretty good in searching for dream bones though). We are trying (actually succeeded) teach a dog not to bark.
I am saying thats not the same concept as teaching a human child not to be mannerless when a stranger comes to the house or not to shout.

am I being pendantic?
Old September 24th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I am saying thats not the same concept as teaching a human child not to be mannerless when a stranger comes to the house or not to shout.

am I being pendantic?
But it is K4. Really. Think about it, when you want a pet to be amongst you, you would expect certain kind of behaviour. You teach the pet, much like you would teach a kid. You teach a kid not to bite, scratch, be a team player etc.
Exact same thing with a pet. You teach the pet not to jump on people, bark at them, lick them etc etc

I dont see how this is different from teaching a kid. Eevn potty training; my little one got a treat (he got to blow a candle) everytime he went pee in potty. Spirit (my pup) got a small treat everytime she went outside (eventually she knew where to go and the treats stopped).
Old September 26th, 2018, 02:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
But it is K4. Really. Think about it, when you want a pet to be amongst you, you would expect certain kind of behaviour. You teach the pet, much like you would teach a kid. You teach a kid not to bite, scratch, be a team player etc.
Exact same thing with a pet. You teach the pet not to jump on people, bark at them, lick them etc etc

I dont see how this is different from teaching a kid. Eevn potty training; my little one got a treat (he got to blow a candle) everytime he went pee in potty. Spirit (my pup) got a small treat everytime she went outside (eventually she knew where to go and the treats stopped).

Even if you dont teach human kids, they will themselves learn as time goes by.

I think we are going to have to disagree...
Old September 26th, 2018, 06:28 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even if you dont teach human kids, they will themselves learn as time goes by.
Exactly, I said the same thing when we thought our toddler was slow to learn to chew his food. I've never seen any teenager who can't chew his food.. unless they have development issues.
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:52 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did your dog live inside your home? Usually when the dogs become a part of the family (live inside our family rooms, have access to the kids, treats, backyard etc), they tend to display different set of emotions compared to dogs whom we just feed. I could be wrong, I am not an expert. This is a general observation.

From what I understand, he is training the dog to not bark is to make it assimilate in the main stream of living amongst humans. You teach to trust the owner that he/she will not put the dog in a harms way. When I first got mine, she used to scream bloody murder at everything and everyone. See my first post. we have come a very long way now. She no longer barks at people. She still gets very excited when she sees other dogs around but she doesnt attempt to rip my hand and take off.

We also got her 'fixed' 2 weeks ago, which, I think will help as she is now close to 9 months.

It was staying in our house most of the day. We once tried to leave it far from home but it found its way back. It used to play in the evening in the ground of a nearby school and come back later.
This was in Faridabad. There some visitors used to ask why it was not barking when it was 6 months old. Contrast this to our tenants in Hyderabad who have a dog and neighbors keep complaining about it.
Old September 26th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Any dog owners here?

I love cats and dogs as pets ....

... as long as they are someone else's pets
Old September 27th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My dog loves to lick faces..... That's her way of portraying love and trust. One firm No and she will back down... But she still barks anytime someone rings a bell and that happens even if she is at our friends house. We all laugh but never train her to stop barking. isn't that what she is supposed to do .....
She also has uncanny ability of knowing someone is coming to our house even if they park their car and are sitting in the car.
Our maid comes on Saturday at 8 but my dog will start barking as soon as she has parked her car and is not even near our porch.....
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
She also has uncanny ability of knowing someone is coming to our house even if they park their car and are sitting in the car.
Our maid comes on Saturday at 8 but my dog will start barking as soon as she has parked her car and is not even near our porch.....
Thatís the smelling and hearing capabilties of canines which are much more than humans. Thatís why dogs are used by cops and anti terror folks too.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Thatís the smelling and hearing capabilties of canines which are much more than humans. Thatís why dogs are used by cops and anti terror folks too.
My dog rescued a kitten yesterday. We have a wooded area right outside our subdivision which also has a deep ditch. On his daily walks, we pass nearby that area and he heard some noise from there and wouldn't move... then he started cooing and looking at my wife.. She had to hear real close and heard a kitten meowing.. We got into the ditch and found this little fella all dirty and shivering...

he was taken to the vet and the little fella has an eye infection.. rest seems ok..
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Good work here .......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 28th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
But she still barks anytime someone rings a bell and that happens even if she is at our friends house. We all laugh but never train her to stop barking. isn't that what she is supposed to do .....
Does she bark at random people when you take her out for a walk?
That is the barking I am referring to. Not to completely take her voice out. When I let her in the backyard, she plays for a while and when she is ready to come back in, she lets out a small bark indicating it. I am not referring to those barks. I am referring to random barking at everything and everyone. She was doing this when we brought her home.

Last edited by Aashika; September 28th, 2018 at 05:31 AM.