eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Load data in SQL server from CSV

I am absolutely new to SQL server nad I have this quick requirement of loading some CSV files (generated from 2 different data sources) into SQL server and firing some queries on loaded data to find data discrepancy.

Could somebody tell me how to bulk load CSV formatted data into SQL server ? (I want table definitions to be created dynamically if possible)

Thanks in advance.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Load data in SQL server from CSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
I am absolutely new to SQL server nad I have this quick requirement of loading some CSV files (generated from 2 different data sources) into SQL server and firing some queries on loaded data to find data discrepancy.

Could somebody tell me how to bulk load CSV formatted data into SQL server ? (I want table definitions to be created dynamically if possible)

Thanks in advance.

Its been Oracle all the way for me. Never tried SQL server. I have tried MySQL though sometime.

For some of the data migrations, I have used MS Excel to generate scripts. I found they are better then SQL Loader or using the GUI for DBs.

Steps to follow:
1. Open your file in Excel so that each element occupies one cell.
2. Insert formula (usde text concatinate) in the cell next to last element in the first row of the excel sheet. (Need to be careful of the apostopies in the text)
3. So you will be able to see your insert query for the first row. Now copy the formula for the rest of the rows.
4. And presto, the script is ready. I suggest copy the query column to a text file first and save int '.sql'. Then run the script in the db.

Sorry, you have to create your tablethough.

I found the above procedure saves a lot of time as compared to sql loader or using GUI like Toad etc..
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Okay, tumne hamaara chance maar liya tha ek baar. yaad hai ? Chalo aaj hamaara chance hai.

Assuming you are using SQL Server 2000, Open the SQL Enterprise Manager.

Create an empty database if you already don't have one.
Right click on the Database--> All tasks --> Import Data.

Rest of the steps are self-explanatory. You can choose your destination table name.

Here are some pics demonstrating the same.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks kranti ani TJ !!!

I followed TJ's method and it worked like charm !! Tusi great ho TJ I owe you one now.
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
Thanks kranti ani TJ !!!

I followed TJ's method and it worked like charm !! Tusi great ho TJ I owe you one now.

Great bhai.... do try out my method if the data is huge, and the database is located in some other part of the globe. It might save you maybe half a day of drudgery... Trust me.