eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Philosophy

Notices

Philosophy To be or not to be...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Friedrich Nietzsche - Interesting Quotes

Got this in mail ...

Enjoy!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Friedrich Nietzsche - My Favorite Quotes
(German author of "Thus Spake Zarathustra" , a philosophical novel, composed in four parts between 1883 and 1885)

o I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.

o I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.

o There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.

o God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight.

o Two great European narcotics: alcohol and Christianity.

o When a hundred men stand together, each of them loses his mind and gets another one.

o What labels me, negates me.

o Become who you are!

o There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.

o At bottom, every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.

o In Christianity, neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point.

o One must not let oneself be misled: they say 'Judge not!' but they send to Hell everything that stands in their way.

o Those moralists, on the other hand, who, following in the footsteps of Socrates, offer the individual a morality of self-control and temperance as a means to his own advantage, as his personal key to happiness, are the exceptions.

o Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

o Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.

o As soon as a religion comes to dominate, it has as its opponents all those who would have been its first disciples.

o Fear is the mother of morality.

o Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.

o These people abstain, it is true: but the bitch Sensuality glares enviously out of all they do.

o The pure soul is a pure lie.

o The spiritualization of sensuality is called love: it is a great triumph over Christianity.

o The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.

o Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it is even becoming mob.

o In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

o Everything the State says is a lie; and everything it has, it has stolen.

o Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal.

o The most common lie is that which one lies to himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.

o The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.

o All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

o Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.

o After coming into contact with a religious man, I always feel I must wash my hands.

o Although the most acute judges of the witches and even the witches themselves, were convinced of the guilt of witchery, the guilt nevertheless was non-existent. It is thus with all guilt.

o Man is the cruelest animal.

o Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?

o Nothing is beautiful, only man: on this piece of naivete rests all aesthetics; it is the first truth of aesthetics. Let us immediately add its second: nothing is ugly but degenerate man. The domain of aesthetic judgment is therewith defined.

o Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

o A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.

o Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

o All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses.

o The doer alone learneth.

o At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.

o A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

o All sciences are now under the obligation to prepare the ground for the future task of the philosopher, which is to solve the problem of value, to determine the true hierarchy of values.

o A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends.

o Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit: for merit itself is offensive.

o Success has always been a great liar.

o Do whatever you will, but first be such as are able to will.

o Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.

o Every church is a stone on the grave of a god-man: it does not want him to rise up again under any circumstances.

o Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.

o Glance into the world just as though time were gone: and everything crooked will become straight to you.

o I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.

o There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends on how you use them.

o He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.

o Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.

o Whoever, at any time, has undertaken to build a new heaven has found the strength for it in his own hell...

o Being human is a complicated gig. So give that ol' dark night of the soul a hug. Howl the eternal yes!

o My dear friend, what is this our life? A boat that swims in the sea, and all one knows for certain about it is that one day it will capsize. Here we are, two good old boats that have been faithful neighbors, and above all your hand has done its best to keep me from "capsizing"! Let us then continue our voyage -- each for the other's sake, for a long time yet, a long time! We should miss each other so much! Tolerably calm seas and good winds and above all sun -- what I wish for myself, I wish for you, too, and am sorry that my gratitude can find expression only in such a wish and has no influence at all on wind or weather!

o Rejoicing in our joy, not suffering over our suffering, makes someone a friend.

o Amor Fati -- "Love Your Fate", which is in fact your life.

o The most spiritual human beings, assuming they are the most courageous, also experience by far the most painful tragedies. But it is precisely for this reason that they honor life -- because it brings against them its most formidable weapons.

o In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.

o Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child at play.

o The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

o And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

o In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

o One has to pay dearly for immortality; one has to die several times while one is still alive.

o You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame;
how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?

o One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly.

o People who have given us their complete confidence believe that they have a right to ours. The inference is false; a gift confers no rights.

o The "kingdom of Heaven" is a condition of the heart -- not something that comes "upon the earth" or "after death."

o Art is the proper task of life.

o The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

o Art is essentially the affirmation, the blessing, and the deification of existence.

o The voice of beauty speaks softly; it creeps only into the most fully awakened souls.

o A thought comes when it will, not when I will.

o For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.

o One must give value to their existence by behaving as if ones very existence were a work of art.

o The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

o No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

o What is the seal of liberation? Not to be ashamed in front of oneself.

o Meaning and morality of one's life come from within oneself. Healthy, strong individuals seek self-expansion by experimenting and by living dangerously. Life consists of an infinite number of possibilities, and the healthy person explores as many of them as possible. Religions that teach pity, self-contempt, humility, self-restraint and guilt are incorrect. The good life is ever-changing, challenging, devoid of regret, intense, creative and risky.

o Live dangerously.

o The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously.

o The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

o He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

o In the mountains of truth, you never climb in vain.

o How much truth can a spirit bear, how much truth can a spirit dare? ...that became for me more and more the real measure of value.

o And once you are awake, you shall remain awake eternally.

o One repays a teacher badly if one always remains nothing but a pupil.

o To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.

o I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.

o Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil.

o There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

o The greatest cure for love is still that time-honored medicine -- love returned.

o Love is a state in which a man sees things most decidedly as they are not.

o The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others.

o True, we love life, not because we are used to living, but because we are used to loving.

o Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.

o Ultimately, it is the desire, not the desired, that we love.

o The slow arrow of beauty. The most noble kind of beauty is that which does not carry us away suddenly, whose attacks are not violent or intoxicating (this kind easily awakens disgust), but rather the kind of beauty which infiltrates slowly, which we carry along with us almost unnoticed, and meet up with again in dreams; finally, after it has for a long time lain modestly in our heart, it takes complete possession of us, filling our eyes with tears, our hearts with longing. What do we long for when we see beauty? To be beautiful. We think much happiness must be connected with it. But that is an error.

o He who has attained the freedom of reason to any extent cannot, for a long time, regard himself otherwise than as a wanderer on the face of the earth -- and not even as a traveler towards a final goal, for there is no such thing. But he certainly wants to observe and keep his eyes open to whatever actually happens in the world; therefore he cannot attach his heart too firmly to anything individual; he must have in himself something wandering that takes pleasure in change and transitoriness.

o The lonely one offers his hand too quickly to whomever he encounters.

o When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory.

o It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.

o Sensuality often hastens the "Growth of Love" so much that the roots remain weak and are easily torn up.

o Invisible threads are the strongest ties.

o What do you regard as most humane? To spare someone shame.

o What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.

o That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

o A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions -- as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.

o Only idiots fail to contradict themselves three times a day.

o Remorse. --Never yield to remorse, but at once tell yourself: remorse would simply mean adding to the first act of stupidity, a second.

o A strong and well-constituted man digests his experiences (deeds and misdeeds all included) just as he digests his meats, even when he has some tough morsels to swallow.

o There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.

o Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them.

o There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe.

o Belief means not wanting to know what is true.

o Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search.

o I am too inquisitive, too skeptical, too arrogant, to let myself be satisfied with an obvious and crass solution of things. God is such an obvious and crass solution, a solution which is a sheer indelicacy to us thinkers. At bottom, he is really nothing but a coarse commandment against us: "Ye shall not think!"

o The life of the enemy... Whoever lives for the sake of combating an enemy, has an interest in the enemy's staying alive.

o Every talent must unfold itself in fighting.

o Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth.

o All I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then
I can turn the world upside down.

o The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak.

o It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.

o Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

o Faith: not wanting to know what is true.

o You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way... it does not exist.

o There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.

Sources: BrainyQuote http://www.brainyqu ote.com/quotes/ authors/f/ friedrich_ nietzsche. html and http://www.goodread s.com/author/ quotes/1938. Friedrich_ Nietzsche
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friedrich Nietzsche - Interesting Quotes

Are we on the same yahoo group
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Landyabhai , i think you have copy-pasted too many quotes

Select the best of them and post only those .
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Landyabhai , i think you have copy-pasted too many quotes

Select the best of them and post only those .
AshDoc bhau there were some for marriage and love, I wish I knew before ... would love to do that, however, my favs will be different from yours and others ... read them and forget them ... the ones that stick for long are probably more relevant to your current state of affairs ... ymmv..
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Are we on the same yahoo group
YESS!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
AshDoc bhau there were some for marriage and love, I wish I knew before ... would love to do that, however, my favs will be different from yours and others ... read them and forget them ... the ones that stick for long are probably more relevant to your current state of affairs ... ymmv..

be the raaj hans... take the milk leave the water.... type..
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Read below :
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:21 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Read below :
this one is better than the so many listed above