eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
How to ascertain someone's location.

I know that there are websites that offer IP address details for free. But the problem is how to find out the ip address in the first place.

Now the person I am talking about talks to me on regular basis and sends me some files through mail too. I want to ascertain his/her/its location (he/she/it claims to be in NY). Can anyone help me in this case? Is there any software which could divulge IP details? Remember I use mac so .exe files won't work for me.

Please Help.

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to ascertain someone's location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala
I know that there are websites that offer IP address details for free. But the problem is how to find out the ip address in the first place.

Now the person I am talking about talks to me on regular basis and sends me some files through mail too. I want to ascertain his/her/its location (he/she/it claims to be in NY). Can anyone help me in this case? Is there any software which could divulge IP details? Remember I use mac so .exe files won't work for me.

Please Help.
I know how to get IP address thru gmail... open the message... next to the reply button there's an arrow pointing downwards... click on it and select "show original"... a new window pops up with all sorts of gibberish... locate "Received: From" in this and copy the IP address... go to any website which traces IP addresses (google to get a website) and get the location...

lemme know if works out... I figured this out myself... there might be other ways too... all our techie echarchans can guide you better though...
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan
I know how to get IP address thru gmail... open the message... next to the reply button there's an arrow pointing downwards... click on it and select "show original"... a new window pops up with all sorts of gibberish... locate "Received: From" in this and copy the IP address... go to any website which traces IP addresses (google to get a website) and get the location...

lemme know if works out... I figured this out myself... there might be other ways too... all our techie echarchans can guide you better though...
Thanks a lot Shakti pai...

It really worked...good discovery...At first there were a number of ip addresses amidst that gibberish. But then there was an originating ip which revealed that the person in question is in India only.

Some people have (like Dirty pai)this signature which tells you your ip address.... are they also privy to this information???

Old April 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But then there was an originating ip which revealed that the person in question is in India only.
Quote:
he/she/it claims to be in NY)
Remind me never to send you email from Jummritaiya. No intention to get personal ... just out of kewriosity ... is the person selling or courting?
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Remind me never to send you email from Jummritaiya. No intention to get personal ... just out of kewriosity ... is the person selling or courting?
Kya Tantu jee,
aap to sharminda kar rahe hain.
it is supposed to be a friend...not very old..know since a couple of months yesterday i asked where she was... and usne bola New York... I had my doubts....
kya maloom..maybe I'm wasting my time... I don't believe in net romance and things like this... sometimes you do things you dont believe in....

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i asked where she was... and usne bola New York... I had my doubts....
kya maloom..maybe I'm wasting my time... I don't believe in net romance and things like this... sometimes you do things you dont believe in....
True ... often we knowingly pursue in total contrast to our set beliefs ... which is what adds spice to life ... or else life can become too predicatable.

A woman not willing to admit her where abouts ... has lot to hide. Not worth the effort, I think. Good luck.

Old April 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

aragorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

good tip shakti pai
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks a lot Shakti pai...
It really worked...good discovery...At first there were a number of ip addresses amidst that gibberish. But then there was an originating ip which revealed that the person in question is in India only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn

good tip shakti pai
glad to know it worked for you... its just something i did in my free time last summer... I was just playing around when my friend challenged me to find his location without asking anybody... so i did...

also, if u wanna do this thru any other email then forward it to gmail and look thru the gibberish garbage...
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

May not work in all cases. What you see in mail headers is mail server (SMTP) IP adddress. I can sit in india and send my email using SMTP server in UK.

e.g. See any mail from yahoo, it shows some mailserver.yahoo.com. Infact send mail from gmail to gmail, as its on same SMTP domain, it just shows SMTP id and no IP. (atleast in cases I have seen)
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.abika.com/help/reverseemailsearch.htm

Looks like it is possible to locate a person by just an email id or even an IM id.
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kya Tantu jee,
aap to sharminda kar rahe hain.
it is supposed to be a friend...not very old..know since a couple of months yesterday i asked where she was... and usne bola New York... I had my doubts....

Duuhhhh....

OK we believe you.
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM

ok. I am sorry.

I admit it was me. I tried riting to you from India but you phoo phooed me ... paid no attention to my romanticness. 1st thing you asked (when I told you I am in NY) is if I am a citizen or gc holder or beautiful.

World has become tiny. How was I two no that you will appear at this sight of all the sights in the word.

I am so ashamed of meself ... today.

I am so sorry.

Old April 28th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Banned

Robert22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Indian Police has traced a boy from Indore in 24 hours when he sent threatning E mail to President APJ Kalam.