eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
MP3 quality improvement - Please Help!

I have few MP3 files. They were recorded at different bit rates and volume levels. Also When I play some of these files I get varying output – I mean the files are not equalized. There is one more problem the files are not normalized either… the levels of equalizer settings are different. So the problem is two folds – improving the quality of each individual file and when I play them together I should not need to adjust my player presets for them – I know It can not be totally by passed but for a given bit rate the number of adjustments can be reduced (or so I hope).
One more issue – I have some very old files which were recorded from LPs … I can listen some screeching sound bits in the background like “tchh…tchh” can it be suppressed or cleaned?
Considering that the file size is not a problem – how can I improve these files?
Those who have tried there hands on this, please share information about the tools and techniques to improve the MP3s – specially these common problems!
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I have worked on MPEG-1 standard

when I was in India.

Well, the MPEG alogorithm is such that you lose information when you compress the original video or audio stream. Its a lossy compression.

So if you have a audiio stream in 128 bits you have a reasonabley good one. But if it s further compressed you have no way to regain the lost information.

Unlike a ZIP or ARJ compression which is not lossy, the MP3 standard is lossy. So, hard luck... no way of getting back lost information.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Last weekend I tried to normalize and equalize an MP3 file using a tool called MP3 Doctor. Then I played the file on MusicMatch player with DFX plug. It was not a very great improvement but I was amazed at the output - still I could not remove that lighter screetching sound. I wish there was a technique to save the file with the inhancements - I mean those inhancements which I got at the play time after adjusting the player settings! So I am sure there are tools and techniques out there - just wondering if any of our member's sulemanee did it's job at the right place! I need to know the right h/w s/w tools to revive these files - sentimental value attached to them! Are there tool available on Mac?
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
All these tools

will rearrange the bits which affect the tone - bass and treble and maybe add a few extra bits to achieve this. BUt there is no way any tool can add the lost information. The MP3 standards/algorithm is just like that!

It is largeley based on the AC3 or Adaptive Cosine compression algorithm which is a lossy compression technique.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
i use "Roxio soundstream" and it comes with all the equalizers, normalizer, sound cleaning, pop removal.
===============================
ou can apply different sound effects to your recordings.
To apply sound effects:

1. Click to open the options drawer.

2. Click Equalizer.

3. Select any of the following effects you want to apply to your recording:

Equalizer: Select the check box on the upper left of the Equalizer drawer to apply the Equalizer. The Equalizer lets you change the amplitude (volume) of selected frequencies. For example, if a baritone voice is too loud, you can lower its amplitude to make it quieter.
Working with the Equalizer is mostly trial and error unless you know the frequency of the sounds you want to modify. It is easiest to adjust the Equalizer while listening to the song. Depending on the speed of your system, there might be a slight time delay between the time you move the slider and the time you hear the effect.

Concert Hall: Select this option to add depth to the music; it can make mono sound like stereo and "widen" stereo music.
Realizer: Improve the sound of MP3 songs by adding low-frequency tones and high-frequency harmonics that are lost during MP3 compression. This effect also adds ambience to the music. Move the slider to adjust the intensity of the effect.

4. Click Effects.

5. Select any of the effects you want to apply to your recording:

Sound Cleaning Level: Move the slider right to increase the amount sound cleaning (noise filtering) applied to a song to remove extraneous noises such as tape hiss; move the slider left to decrease the amount of sound cleaning.
Pop Removal Level: Move the slider right to increase the amount of pop and click removal applied to a song; move the slider left to decrease the amount of pop removal.
Note: The quality of cleaning depends on your sound card and the music source.

Normalizer: Records all tracks at equal volume. Select this option if you are recording songs from a variety of sources that have been originally recorded at different volumes. If you do not select this option, some tracks may sound louder than others on your CD.
Note: This option requires temporary storage on your hard disk for all of the tracks you are recording. This effect only applies while the recording operation is taking place, and cannot be previewed before recording. The recording operation will take longer if you use this effect.

You can also use Sound Editor to modify WAV files stored on your hard disk.

Old October 23rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

Smile

Thanks Diplomat! ... I'll give Roxio product a shot! their easy CD creator is a good product too! ...
If rest of you guys out there have some info to share - please do! thanks in advance!
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

I visited Roxio's website - the soundstream product is now sold bundled with the Easy CD creator 5 platinum! Could not find any demo version. I'll buy it if I can do some cool stuff with it! I am buying MusicMatch 7.2 anyways - there is no noise reduction option it it though! I need to know this - can I record CDs keeping the equalizer setting of my preference? I mean If I reduce down the decible levels of the higher frequencies - the music sounds cleaner! I just want to creat files with this setting! Is it possible with sound stream?
Old October 24th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

MP3 Doctor Gives option to record music with my settings! I can see my settings made effective in the new file BUT the stupid program does not record correctly - there is a small hiccup inserted at an interval of every 3 seconds!! so my song "radhike tune bansari churaee" becomes "radhike tune ...sari churaee" but the sound is great! is my PC slow? is it my card or the program??
Old October 24th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Zen, the soundstream does what u want.
And I have had no problems using it on my 300mhz pc or 930mhz pc.

Old October 24th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Thumbs up

Cool! ...
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat,
Thanks for the suggestion!
I did buy the Easy CD creator 5 platinum! SoundStream is really a good tool! The WAV editor is good for croping those files. Effects are impressive. Rest of the fratures - MusicMatch 7.2 with DFX plug - simply Rocks! Successfully reduced the noice levels still some nasty pops and click are hard to remove ... share if you have any tricks up your sleeves!

One more thing - There is another product - Easy CD-DA converter - this is NOT a Roxio product - Rather it is a shareware! really came handy for ripping and encoding! There are some common features in all of these products but they have their different strong points too!
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

glad to know that my suggestion worked.

I used Roxio primarily to cut straight CD's from MP3's. I never did any "fingering" with the tools section. Just knew that it was there.