eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

View Poll Results: Is it ok to take up your hobby as a profession?
Yes, why not? Make money and enjoy making it too. 7 53.85%
yes, but As a part time or optional income 2 15.38%
No. It takes fun out of something meant for timepass only. 5 38.46%
Any other (detailed answer please) 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Making money from your hobby - ? Good idea

We all have some hobbies. Most of us are casual about it (reading, watching movies, music, hiking etc). But there are people who not only take their hobby seriously, but are even as good as professionals about it. We have Shring who is a good writer, Dolly and Pratiksha have shown us their drawing skills. Rakhi, I am sure, is a good cook. Of course we indulge in the hobby for personal pleasure.

Now, if you could make money out of your hobby, would you take it up as a full time profession? As a part time profession? As an additional source of income? Many of us would have even tried "make money from internet" kind of thing.

I personally think that it's not a good idea to take up your hobby as a profession (unless you are already in a profession that you always wanted to be in). Why? Why because once you start considering it as a source of income, the pleasure goes out. It becomes work. Then all the laws of business management have to be applied to make it work well.

What do you think about it?

Thread awarded Crown of the Week
- Winner of Crown of the week!
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Last edited by sunnykode; February 24th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making money from your hobby - ? Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
We all have some hobbies. Most of us are casual about it (reading, watching movies, music, hiking etc). But there are people who not only take their hobby seriously, but are even as good as professionals about it. We have Shring who is a good writer, Dolly and Pratiksha have shown us their drawing skills. Rakhi, I am sure, is a good cook. Of course we indulge in the hobby for personal pleasure.

Now, if you could make money out of your hobby, would you take it up as a full time profession? As a part time profession? As an additional source of income? Many of us would have even tried "make money from internet" kind of thing.

I personally think that it's not a good idea to take up your hobby as a profession (unless you are already in a profession that you always wanted to be in). Why? Why because once you start considering it as a source of income, the pleasure goes out. It becomes work. Then all the laws of business management have to be applied to make it work well.

What do you think about it?

The fundamental aspect of harbouring and nurturing any hobby is maintaining the freedom 'to do so'...... Once Money gets into the equation, you are likely to lose the freedom cos you have to 'perform' to meet the expectations of 'That Money'...... And it means, sacrificing you freedom...... Now I am sure, there's nothing like a 'Serious Hobby'......
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

As long as its the secondary income I think it would be fine to let the hobby make money. RR, there are many ways to make decent cash in India, hobby or not. Quite a lot of people just do not get enough ideas.

I have one such idea, if anyone is interested in making extra Rs.100 or Rs200 a day, i can share that with you all. I know its not a lot of money, but something is better than nothing right?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
As long as its the secondary income I think it would be fine to let the hobby make money. RR, there are many ways to make decent cash in India, hobby or not. Quite a lot of people just do not get enough ideas.

I have one such idea, if anyone is interested in making extra Rs.100 or Rs200 a day, i can share that with you all. I know its not a lot of money, but something is better than nothing right?
Interested of course !! PM or tell us all, as you wish.

But Rakhi, suppose you had 2 hrs extra time everyday and enough opportunity to nurture your hobby of, say cooking or gardening or beautifying your house or reading, would you like to convert it to cash, if there was an opportunity?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interested of course !! PM or tell us all, as you wish.

But Rakhi, suppose you had 2 hrs extra time everyday and enough opportunity to nurture your hobby of, say cooking or gardening or beautifying your house or reading, would you like to convert it to cash, if there was an opportunity?
Yes, if I had time and an opportunity to make my hobby work for me, I would sure LOVE that.

My good friend lives in Bangalore. After getting married, she moved in with her hubby into a condo which had a big balcony. The community she lives in had lots of small Chinese takeouts and fastfood carts.
What she did was (dont laugh, because it worked) approach these places and asked them what is the common veggie they need. unanimously it was either mushrooms or carrots. Mushrooms was the best deal because its very easy to grow and they grow real FAST and have good turn around time. She started growing them in her balcony and started selling these at a low price. She had a contract though that she would provide continuous flow of mushrooms every day.

On good days she used to even get Rs200 a day but usually its betwenn Rs100 and rs150.

I know its not a lot of money; but with a fairly big balcony and little bit of work, its possible to earn rs100 a day like this.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Yeah.. mushroom farming and prawn farming on whatever scale get a lot of government subsidies / facilities too. Tell your friend to show the income from mushroom farming in her balance sheet (income from agriculture), whether she pays taxes or not. In 3 years time she can claim herself as a 'farmer'.. great benefits for the future, ask a CA.

Back to topic. Which hobby would you like to take up as a profession? or rather, which of your hobbies is most likely to get more attention or professional interest. Won't it slowly impinge on your time and become a headache?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

most definately....why not! if u enjoy ur hobby, then first u get ur times worth being involved in it and doing it and if it gets u money as well, thats like a bonus!
absolutely!

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
most definately....why not! if u enjoy ur hobby, then first u get ur times worth being involved in it and doing it and if it gets u money as well, thats like a bonus!
absolutely!
You like drawing / painting. How would you like if some sethji asked you to paint, say, his ceiling or something.. for a decent fee, of course..

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

I guess, well... I hope, we all enjoy sex, but how many of you would like to earn a living or a little money through it. Not a single one of you. It is relative... sometimes it is hard to see your passion being marketed or put a price tag to it.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
I guess, well... I hope, we all enjoy sex, but how many of you would like to earn a living or a little money through it. Not a single one of you. It is relative... sometimes it is hard to see your passion being marketed or put a price tag to it.
We all enjoy food, but not everyone can or wants to become a chef.. c'mon chitra, you know what I am talking about... things like reading, writing, sports of some sort, painting, music, adventure sports etc..

Quote:
You like drawing / painting. How would you like if some sethji asked you to paint, say, his ceiling or something.. for a decent fee, of course..
Or, Dollyg, another example, if you are asked by a buyer to paint his/her portrait, would you take up such works on a regular basis? Or would you find it distasteful?

Michaelangelo was a professional painter, of course, he had no compunction about painting ceilings, whether in Vatican or elsewhere, but the amateurs would find such works too demanding, won't they?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
since when has having sex become a hobby ? Its a need, isnt it?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Not for Chits, I think

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its a basic need - but can also be a hobby.

Just like food or clothes. The basic need is to fill your belly or cover your body. But eating (or cooking), clothes shopping (or designing) is also a hobby.

Right?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Its a basic need - but can also be a hobby.

Just like food or clothes. The basic need is to fill your belly or cover your body. But eating (or cooking), clothes shopping (or designing) is also a hobby.

Right?
As in...if you have sex with your partner its a need but if you have sex with Tom Cruise its a hobby?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
As in...if you have sex with your partner its a need but if you have sex with Tom Cruise its a hobby?

No, that's adultery

But with food and clothes one may think of business (like Rakhi's friend), but my point is that if you try to convert your hobby into profession (whether part or full time), the fun goes out of it, then it is just a job and not much of a hobby, because in most of the businesses/ jobs one has to perform as per the payer's demands.