eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Besan ka Halwa queries..

Besan ke laddu is my favorite mithai... Last night to compensate the urge for laddus I tried my hands on besan ka halwa....
I haven't done much cooking in past...so I get my recipes from net and then try it with little improvisations...

The halwa I cooked was good but while frying the besan...as I put besan in heated ghee...several daane(granulets) formed....I tried to break them or dissolve them in milk but to no avail .... the inside of the granulets remain uncooked....and spoil the taste of otherwise yummy halwa

I tried the other way round too...heating besan in sookhi (dry) kadahi...and then adding the ghee...but same results again...

Any suggestion from experts....

Old October 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of
Re: Besan ka Halwa queries..

I have made besan ladoo just two three times...and besan ka halwa is new to me...As far as roasting besan ...you need to do it on very low flame and use think gauge pot preferably non-stick ....Hard anodized works best....and give minimum 20 minutes to have right roasted besan. You can add ghee in the begining.
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Can somebody post the full recipe and rate the level of difficulty (for a relatively 'unseasoned' cook)?
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:23 AM
eCharchan

Chhota baccha will become famous soon enoughChhota baccha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala

The halwa I cooked was good but while frying the besan...as I put besan in heated ghee...several daane(granulets) formed....I tried to break them or dissolve them in milk but to no avail .... the inside of the granulets remain uncooked....and spoil the taste of otherwise yummy halwa

I tried the other way round too...heating besan in sookhi (dry) kadahi...and then adding the ghee...but same results again...

Any suggestion from experts....
Besan ka Halwa…. Yummy…..Winter mein mere ghar mein bahut banta hai…….

Haaa to Chitrala uncle……Besan ka halwa banana thoda difficult hota in comparison of Suji ka halwa…becose it is more powderous……Following should be the reasons for conversion of besan into granules:-

i) Aaapne thin kadahi use kiya hoga…… while making besan ka halwa always use thick and heavy bottom kadahi…..
ii) Since it is more powderous, you must have more aleartness
iii) Discontinuation of stirring…
iv) Inappropriate proportion of ghee and besan…..
v) High flame……

Take half cup of ghee when u want to make halwa of one cup of besan…… u must keep 1/4th cup of ghee (hot melted) additionally…….first heat the ghee (1/2 cup) on low flame…. Put Besan (1 cup) in the kadahi and start stirring…… and remember….. this stirring should be continue till the halwa completes….. ek baat aur….. stirring bhi aise jaise circle ya eclipse banaa rahe ho kadahi mein…….so right hand se sirf stirring….. baki ke kaaam left hand se……Yadi granules ban jata then put some more ghee and keep continue stirring…… always remember…. Ye granules sirf ghee daalne se hi break hoga……so jab tak granules hai aap thoda thoda kar ke ghee dalte rahiye aur stir karte rahiye……after 5-8 minutes I think bensan roast ho jaega (Golden brown in colour)…… then put Sugar (3/4 cup) and stir…… After 5 minutes, add hot milk (1 cup) and last mein usme crush kiya hua kuch dry fruits (cashew nuts, almond aur kishmish wagairah) daliye aur stir karte rahiye….. When u find consistency like halwa, off the flame but keep continue stirring till the temperature of kadahi become normal…… then plate mein nikaliye aur thoda thanda hone pe maje se swad le le kar khaiye……
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

soniya has a spectacular aura aboutsoniya has a spectacular aura aboutsoniya has a spectacular aura about

Wah ji wah...bare halwe shalwe hain...
good good....seekho.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Besan ke laddu is my favorite mithai... Last night to compensate the urge for laddus I tried my hands on besan ka halwa....
yo..are you by any chance located near DC? if yes u can come down to mah place..i have a box full of besan laddus replete with a badaam piece on top
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
yo..are you by any chance located near DC? if yes u can come down to mah place..i have a box full of besan laddus replete with a badaam piece on top
why do you wanna share them?
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
thanks for the offer DB pai.....but DC is quite far from here...planning to visit maryland during Xmas....will try to make it then...

Good recipe chhota.... and excellent tips...looks like you are a seasoned cook...and not that chhota either...

Old October 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
eCharchan

Chhota baccha will become famous soon enoughChhota baccha will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Good recipe chhota.... and excellent tips...looks like you are a seasoned cook...and not that chhota either...

Are nahi uncle......main to Chhota hi hu....aur Chhota hi rahunga till my end......aap batao.....kaisi bani......aapke haatho ka bana Besan ka halwa khane ka ji kar raha hai.........