eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old October 25th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Dalit

1m Dalits To Embrace Buddhism On Nov. 4

1M DALITS TO EMBRACE BUDDHISM ON NOV. 4
http://www.hclinfinet.com/2001/OCT/W...aInsideGN6.jsp

New Delhi
One million dalits will convert to Buddhism next month in what will be the largest event of its kind in the world, the organisers announced on Monday.
They were sick and tired of the mental and physical torture of upper caste Hindus, said Mr Ram Raj of the All India Confederation of Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes Organisations.

"The dalits will be breaking out of the shackles of the caste system and will be empowering themselves," he told reporters here, giving details of the November 4 programme.

His group claims a membership of four million - the bulk of them being government employees. A fourth of India's one billion people are dalits, who have been traditionally discriminated against by the upper caste Hindus. Although laws enacted over the years seek to protect dalit rights, intolerance is widespread, particularly in rural areas.

"The dalits will be liberated from mental bondage. By embracing Buddhism, we are not converting. We are only reaffirming our sense of values," Mr Raj said. The bulk of the converts would be from North India. All of them, he emphasised, would be coming to New Delhi paying their own passage, Mr Raj said. "We will be spending about Rs 1 million on the stage and other arrangements." (IANS)
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Does that mean they will not seek reservations?
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Dalit

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Does that mean they will not seek reservations?
Dalits converted to Buddhism are entitled for reservation as per constitution.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:20 PM
khopdion ka khopdi

khopdi is on a distinguished road
Re: 1m Dalits To Embrace Buddhism On Nov. 4

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalit
1M DALITS TO EMBRACE BUDDHISM ON NOV. 4

"The dalits will be breaking out of the shackles of the caste system and will be empowering themselves," "The dalits will be liberated from mental bondage.
no mor kota for dulitsh !!
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

In a related note.. Read this..

A Zambian man divorced his wife after he found a frog in a cup of tea she gave him, a Lusaka newspaper reported Tuesday. The Post reported that 28-year-old Andrew Nyoka had left 26-year-old Catherine Nyoka last year for another woman.

``One time I found a frog in a cup of tea she had served me. That is the reason I went for another woman,'' the independent newspaper quoted Nyoka, whose surname means ``snake'' in English, as telling a community court.

Judges Chidongo Shawa and Wilson Makuwerere granted him a divorce, saying it was clear the couple's marriage could not be saved.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:24 PM
khopdion ka khopdi

khopdi is on a distinguished road
Quote:

wich meensh they are shtill lo cashte !! beetsh the purpush of converting. no wunder sho many are brainlessh
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Hunter Wali

Pretty Woman is on a distinguished road
opps repeat post... see below

Last edited by Pretty Woman; October 25th, 2001 at 12:37 PM.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Hunter Wali

>> ``One time I found a frog in a cup of tea she had served me. That is the reason I went for another woman,'' the independent newspaper quoted Nyoka, whose surname means ``snake'' in English, as telling a community court. <<

LOL Gpel... related note??

Quote:
Originally posted by Pretty Woman
She kissed a hundred frogs
to find her one true prince
by putting them in tea cups
and raising the cup to lips

Once 'Snake' sipped the 'green' tea
he ran away clutchin his wee wee
Now alone she sips thoughfully
her chilled on the frogs, whiskey.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
Originally posted by Pretty Woman
>> ``One time I found a frog in a cup of tea she had served me. That is the reason I went for another woman,'' the independent newspaper quoted Nyoka, whose surname means ``snake'' in English, as telling a community court. <<

LOL Gpel... related note??

Dont get me wrong.. I just respect Dalit's views a bit too much so I had to give her a related news item in support of her post.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Pelu Pelu

besides, I have NOOOOOOOO intension of derailing the thread.. echarcha (a.k.a mangal sutra) dislikes such things..
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Hunter Wali

i know! that is why my poem was related to your post. so by the law of induction, our posts should be in-laws.. i mean related to Dalit's.

PW post ---related to--->gpel post---related to----> Dalit post

hence no deRailing.

gaadi bula rahi hai, seeti baja rahi hai
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
besides, I have NOOOOOOOO intension of derailing the thread.. echarcha (a.k.a mangal sutra) dislikes such things..
Oy yaar aise shabd 'Rail, train' wagayra use karne se anaadi daude aajayenga!!!!!

Mark Twain
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Pelu Pelu

But looks like Dalit dear did not appreciate my effort to aPplaud her... now I will have to get her a better news item..
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
Originally posted by videsee

Oy yaar aise shabd 'Rail, train' wagayra use karne se anaadi daude aajayenga!!!!!

Lagtaa hai aap dono ki mohobbat ab bhi gardish me hai..