eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old November 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Home decor...

All it took was a few parties for my new carpet to go real bad. After trying to clean/wash the carpet, I can still see a few stains. Ohhffff.
So, we finally decided that hardwood floor is what we want in the family and the living room. Have any of you installed hardwood floor by yourself? Which one is better? Hardwood or the engineered hardwood in the long run?
Thanks all for your inputs.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Home decor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
All it took was a few parties for my new carpet to go real bad. After trying to clean/wash the carpet, I can still see a few stains. Ohhffff.
So, we finally decided that hardwood floor is what we want in the family and the living room. Have any of you installed hardwood floor by yourself? Which one is better? Hardwood or the engineered hardwood in the long run?
Thanks all for your inputs.
I have had hardwood installed by a professional but have installed laminated floor by myself. Laminated snap-on floor is easy to install if you have the right tools (for cutting, prying, etc.). Gets to be a little tough around doors and closets. Took me a day for complete installation and then the rest of the week to recover from the ache in my legs.

Hardwood, I was advised, needs to be done professionally... both for ease of work and for the final finished look. Took the advice and am happy with the results.

If you are scared of stains and spills from the numerous parties you will have, then it is better to go with laminated floor. With all the new technologies, they look as good as hardwood, are water-proof and last longer.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I have had hardwood installed by a professional but have installed laminated floor by myself. Laminated snap-on floor is easy to install if you have the right tools (for cutting, prying, etc.). Gets to be a little tough around doors and closets. Took me a day for complete installation and then the rest of the week to recover from the ache in my legs.

Hardwood, I was advised, needs to be done professionally... both for ease of work and for the final finished look. Took the advice and am happy with the results.

If you are scared of stains and spills from the numerous parties you will have, then it is better to go with laminated floor. With all the new technologies, they look as good as hardwood, are water-proof and last longer.
Thanks Sane. When you say the laminated floor, are you referring to that floating type of floor? I was advised that they are not really safe for new born kids. Also, aren't they too thin to withstand moisture?

Thanks again.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Sane. When you say the laminated floor, are you referring to that floating type of floor? I was advised that they are not really safe for new born kids. Also, aren't they too thin to withstand moisture?

Thanks again.
Don't know what you mean by floating type of floor? Did you mean glue-less... where the laminated tiles just sit on the floor? I never heard of laminated floors not being safe for new born kids. Can you post a link or something giving more info?

As for thin-ness, the ones I installed were thin but strong enough to put 2 twin-size hardwood beds and a bunch of kids jumping on them.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Don't know what you mean by floating type of floor? Did you mean glue-less... where the laminated tiles just sit on the floor? I never heard of laminated floors not being safe for new born kids. Can you post a link or something giving more info?

As for thin-ness, the ones I installed were thin but strong enough to put 2 twin-size hardwood beds and a bunch of kids jumping on them.
The Home depot guy told us that the hardwood/engineered are better than the laminated ones (including the baby stuff). but most of our friends are happy with laminated floors. Looks like they give as much value to the home as a hardwood floor for less price.

So after using both hardwood and laminated, what would you recommend?
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
The Home depot guy told us that the hardwood/engineered are better than the laminated ones (including the baby stuff). but most of our friends are happy with laminated floors. Looks like they give as much value to the home as a hardwood floor for less price.

So after using both hardwood and laminated, what would you recommend?
Hardwood floors have that warmth... a kind of softness. Laminate floors are kind of dry and utilitarian. I personally will recommend hardwood... but installed by a professional (unless you are very good at carpentry).

The baby stuff amazes me. Maybe the glue used to put laminate floors together (but then, some hardwood floors can be glued too).

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
yeah...I compared the prices...$4 for a laminated one and $8 for hardwood....
but the ambiance must be totally different. emmm...need to think again.
Even in hardwood, go for the richer ones. They will be worth every extra penny that you spend. Go for Brazilian Cherry or Tigerwood. Splurge. So what if you are not rich... you only die once.

I am still thinking whether I should buy that blu-ray player or just make do with what I have. Sorry for mixing up threads again

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks again.

Yes,

Laminate floors are also called "floating floor".

Go for hardwood if money is not a big deal. Hardwood will be double the cost of laminate since laminates are dirt cheap these days.

Also Hardwood floors are pain and lil bit more costly to maintain. Hardwood floors need sanding and polishing every few years to make it look good. Laminate floors you don't need to worry about that at all.

Also check on net. A friend of mine bought truck load of canadian flooring from canada, cost him lot less than here in us. Him and 3 of his friends together, bought a truckload and split the cost. Now all those 4 have SAME floor in their whole house.

Installing....if you are doing yourself, both are easy (if you are technically inclined and have right tools), but finishing is headache. Either way your knees and hips will be in pain for a week.

More was discussed here...

Last edited by AmthaLal; November 17th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

seems like the nagging about smoking had some beneficial effect new flooring !!
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
Yes,

Laminate floors are also called "floating floor".

Go for hardwood if money is not a big deal. Hardwood will be double the cost of laminate since laminates are dirt cheap these days.

Also Hardwood floors are pain and lil bit more costly to maintain. Hardwood floors need sanding and polishing every few years to make it look good. Laminate floors you don't need to worry about that at all.

Also check on net. A friend of mine bought truck load of canadian flooring from canada, cost him lot less than here in us. Him and 3 of his friends together, bought a truckload and split the cost. Now all those 4 have SAME floor in their whole house.

Installing....if you are doing yourself, both are easy (if you are technically inclined and have right tools), but finishing is headache. Either way your knees and hips will be in pain for a week.
More was discussed here...
Thanks Amthaji....my husband seems very confident that he can do it without professional help....well, I will take a picture of the finished floor and will show it here. And yes, we might go for the engineered hard wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
seems like the nagging about smoking had some beneficial effect new flooring !!
nagging isnt working....I wanted a Persian rug and he refused
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
nagging isnt working....I wanted a Persian rug and he refused
Maybe you can find about some cheap china made copies

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Maybe you can find about some cheap china made copies
no no no no no!!!! I want a pure rug....I told him just imagine, hardwood floor, Persian rug in front of the fire pace, etc etc. Still he is saying no
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
no no no no no!!!! I want a pure rug....I told him just imagine, hardwood floor, Persian rug in front of the fire pace, etc etc. Still he is saying no
Maybe he doesn't want to see a run with smoke burns..get your hardwood floor this time.. the rest will follow.

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
Or you can get an original Persian (though it may be hard to find one... in these hard times. If you do not find one, then maybe a Indian Parsee bawa might do). Now you have 2 options. One is to make your husband jealous... by giving this Persian more time than your husband. Or, if you do not turn that way, then you can get this Persian to weave you a rug. There, you got a pure persian rug

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Or you can get an original Persian (though it may be hard to find one... in these hard times. If you do not find one, then maybe a Indian Parsee bawa might do). Now you have 2 options. One is to make your husband jealous... by giving this Persian more time than your husband. Or, if you do not turn that way, then you can get this Persian to weave you a rug. There, you got a pure persian rug
You and your imagination