eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Excel help...

Guys, i am sorry, I seem to have too many questions today. If possible please help me with this.

I am not even sure if I can do it myself or i will need IT help. Here is the problem.

1. I download an excel file containing a few details from an external system (file 1).
2. I open another excel file (file 2) which contains a specific formula (sum) and paste the above down loaded data in same tab which contains the formula.

a) In file 2, I have a formula validating specific rule in a specific column
=SUMIF(D: D,"xyz",I:I)

How do I perform a calculation without manually copying the file 1 data into file 2? I know its possible...but I don't know how. Will I need VB etc or is there a simple way to include this criteria? I mean...I can save the file 1 in a specific location. Now how should I use the formula to pull the same details I used in file 2 =SUMIF(D: D,"xyz",I:I)? How...? Column D and column I details are the ones I copied and pasted manually from the file 1.

I hope I mentioned the problem correctly.

Please help me if you can. thank you so much.

Last edited by Rakhi; January 21st, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Excel help...

simply refer to the other spreadsheet after it has been saved. In the cell type the "=" sign .. then click on to the other spreadsheet and click on the cell you want to reference there. That should do it. Unless I didnt understand your request.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
simply refer to the other spreadsheet after it has been saved. In the cell type the "=" sign .. then click on to the other spreadsheet and click on the cell you want to reference there. That should do it. Unless I didnt understand your request.
But your suggestion will be a manual calculation right Smelly....Right now as soon as i paste the data manually from the other excel, this particular cell with formula automatically picks up the data which I have pasted below. If I reference it the way you said, every time I need to change the data (which is twice a day), I need to open and perform this 'referencing'. Know what i mean?

I am looking for some thing like:

1. If I key in a particular date, the formula column should automatically point the file which I have saved AND then apply the sum formula.
This means I am saving the file in another location but not manually copying and pasting it.

I hope this is slightly clear now...
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
But your suggestion will be a manual calculation right Smelly....Right now as soon as i paste the data manually from the other excel, this particular cell with formula automatically picks up the data. If I reference it the way you said, every time I need to change the data (which is twice a day), I need to open and perform this 'referencing'. Know what i mean?

I am looking for some thing like:

1. If I key in a particular date, the formula column should automatically point the file which I have saved AND then apply the sum formula.
This means I am saving the file in another location but not manually copying and pasting it.

I hope this is slightly clear now...
If the file name is the same every time, it will still work. If the file name changes every tiem you save it, then you will need more advanced logic.

So one option will be to keep the file name the same. You can download the file as excel01212010-1.xls .. but then copy it to excelforreference.xls

When you get the second file, just overwrite the excelforreferrence.xls every time. That way you keep history but you only have one working file.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
If the file name is the same every time, it will still work. If the file name changes every tiem you save it, then you will need more advanced logic.

So one option will be to keep the file name the same. You can download the file as excel01212010-1.xls .. but then copy it to excelforreference.xls

When you get the second file, just overwrite the excelforreferrence.xls every time. That way you keep history but you only have one working file.
Well, I can set the name and overwrite it every time I use. I tried your technique but its throwing an error saying the formula is incorrect Smelly.
This is the formula I am using..

='drive location\file location\file name.xls'!sumif(D,"xyz",I:I)

Not sure if this is what you mean by cell reference.

P:S: the details in column D and column I remain same. so I didnt change them.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

check the number of parantheses in your formula
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

The other option is to use a naming convention and the INDIRECT command.

1. Naming convention: Name your files based on date and serial number to make it easy. You dont have to do this step - you can type in the name of the spreadsheet directly.

2. In your calculation spreadsheet in one of the cells, either type in the name of the file you want to pull from .. or create a file name based on the naming convetion .. in say, cell A1

3. Use the formula

=SUMIF("'["&INDIRECT("A1") & "]Sheet1"& "'!B1:B5) ... dah dah

Will be easier if you just zipped up the two files and posted them here.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Well, I can set the name and overwrite it every time I use. I tried your technique but its throwing an error saying the formula is incorrect Smelly.
This is the formula I am using..

='drive location\file location\file name.xls'!sumif(D,"xyz",I:I)

Not sure if this is what you mean by cell reference.

P:S: the details in column D and column I remain same. so I didnt change them.

The sumif is outside

=SUMIF([Book2]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$17,"fff",[Book2]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$17)
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guys, i am sorry, I seem to have too many questions today. If possible please help me with this.

I am not even sure if I can do it myself or i will need IT help. Here is the problem.

1. I download an excel file containing a few details from an external system (file 1).
2. I open another excel file (file 2) which contains a specific formula (sum) and paste the above down loaded data in same tab which contains the formula.

a) In file 2, I have a formula validating specific rule in a specific column
=SUMIF(D: D,"xyz",I:I)

How do I perform a calculation without manually copying the file 1 data into file 2? I know its possible...but I don't know how. Will I need VB etc or is there a simple way to include this criteria? I mean...I can save the file 1 in a specific location. Now how should I use the formula to pull the same details I used in file 2 =SUMIF(D: D,"xyz",I:I)? How...? Column D and column I details are the ones I copied and pasted manually from the file 1.

I hope I mentioned the problem correctly.

Please help me if you can. thank you so much.
You can do the following

1) create an ODBC data source (DSN) to file1.
2) Open file2 and create a new sheet (say sheet_source)
3) Go to Data -> Import data from DSN
4) Point to the file1 DSN
5) In your calculation sheet, make all your formulas point to sheet_source. E.g. "=SUMIF(sheet_source!D, "xyz", sheet_source!I:I)"
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
check the number of parantheses in your formula
Eh?

Quote:
The other option is to use a naming convention and the INDIRECT command.

1. Naming convention: Name your files based on date and serial number to make it easy. You dont have to do this step - you can type in the name of the spreadsheet directly.

2. In your calculation spreadsheet in one of the cells, either type in the name of the file you want to pull from .. or create a file name based on the naming convetion .. in say, cell A1

3. Use the formula

=SUMIF("'["&INDIRECT("A1") & "]Sheet1"& "'!B1:B5) ... dah dah

Will be easier if you just zipped up the two files and posted them here.
OK...not sure. here is the files. I am giving only the required columns.

1. The data from 18 downwards is manually copied.
Attachment 13540

2. What should be my formula in cell I13 if I saved a file with the name "test" in c:foldername\?
Attachment 13541

P.S: I still need the sum function to work.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this.

Last edited by Rakhi; January 21st, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

The formula for I13 is below

=SUMIF('C:\Documents and Settings\guest\Desktop\[test.xls]Test'!D,"xyz",'C:\Documents and Settings\guest\Desktop\[test.xls]Test'!I:I)

Just replace the pathname as appropriate. The only caveat is that the test.xls file needs to be open before you open the for EC.xls file.

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

There is a way around the test.xls file being open as well. I can tell you if you are interested.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
There is a way around the test.xls file being open as well. I can tell you if you are interested.
OK...sure. But let me figure this out first
I am still stuck.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
The formula for I13 is below

=SUMIF('C:\Documents and Settings\guest\Desktop\[test.xls]Test'!D,"xyz",'C:\Documents and Settings\guest\Desktop\[test.xls]Test'!I:I)

Just replace the pathname as appropriate. The only caveat is that the test.xls file needs to be open before you open the for EC.xls file.

I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!
Thanks so much Smelly! You must be thinking that I am so dumb. It took me so long even after you put everything in the plate.