eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 23rd, 2000, 03:20 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Many Indians are in the USA working under the H1/B visa. Some have had good experiences with their employers and clients. While some have not.

Care to share them here?
Old August 23rd, 2000, 10:07 PM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Wink ooooooo

I have just applied for H1 ..
Dont know how my future gonna be in US ..
waaaaaaa im scared ..People tell me your experiences. I need them desperately
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Ask these questions

ASk your employer (your H1 sponsor) these :

1) Do you get bench pay? i.e. when there is no project does he stil pay you full salary? This is mandatory by US Labour Dept. laws. You have to get paid in full and the company has to pay you no matter what.

2) Do you get MEDICAL, Dental and Vision healthcare plans? It is important because in USA a visit to a doctor is very expensive and medicines too

3)Does your employer have projects ready for you? Offcourse, you have to go to USA and face client interviews. There maybe a project but you may fail at interview. That is not your employer's fault.

4)Be sure what you are mentioning in your resume is what you really know Some employers pump up the resume for improving your chances at a interview. This is normal, but make sure you know what is written.

5)Once you go to USA, say your employer is in New Jersey, and you get a project in Florida - you need to know that whether your employer has filed for proper permissions from labour dept. for you to work in Florida Even if you are in New JErsey but in a different cty than your employer, please find out. Recently some H1/B proefessionals in Texas had a problem and were arrested by INS due to employer's fault of not filing for such permissions. You need to get Labour dept. approval for working in any place that your project is. The employer will know all this. Just be clear about it once you reach USA.

The USA is a very dynamic place to work. Things change all the time. Your only job security is your constantly updated skill-set.

These are all the things I can think at the moment. Hope this helps.

[Edited by echarcha on 08-24-2000 at 12:58 PM]
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:11 PM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Thanx echarcha

That was really informative.
Infact i did skipped points 1,3,5 with my Employer.
Ill kick his ass with these questions now
Old August 25th, 2000, 02:19 PM

Thumbs up Check this site for more details

There are many good site which tell youa bout H1/B visa.. The bets is the INS website which is the official source for all information.

Check teh INS site at : http://www.ins.gov/

Another good site is a privately run site by an Indian lawyer in USA. Check it at: http://www.murthy.com/h1bstvi.html

Hope this helps
Old October 10th, 2000, 03:28 AM
Junior eCharchan

bahut_masti can only hope to improve
I dont have a H1 so wont be able to help you much about that. But I have a friend whos company did not pay him till he got his first project - which didnt take him long - but even then check up on it.
Old October 16th, 2000, 03:10 AM

Thumbs up

guys.
there is also a site called usvisanews.com which gives more comprehensive info about H1B visas.
Old October 16th, 2000, 10:38 PM
X

Xandu is on a distinguished road
indian,

there's list of blacklisted consulting companies - dont consider them. i dont have the list with me but it keeps circulating in the mails. some of them are truly bastards. i have come on a F1 and had one consulting guy (sounded like a pakistani) offer me huge 45K to drop studies and work full time... *snicker* *sknicker*. he was really ambitious considering the univ i'm in is in the top 10 in US.

either way talk to them and have them say on contract that the bench (without pay) is only till you get your SSN once you get here. also have them mention that once you get SSN you should get full pay regardless of your bieng placed or not. i have not come on H1 so i dont know the details by lots of m friends here have come thru consulting companies... this is what i gathered from a few of them.
Good luck!
Xandu
Old October 17th, 2000, 02:58 PM

Basically be aware and keep yourself updated

There are many black sheep in the so called 'consulting' business which is nothing but a body shopping setup!

Best thing is to be aware of all H1 realities not just by listening to friends but visiting regualr newsgroup and other sites like http://www.shusterman.com/

Also, you should be aware of the latest changes that have occured due to the S.2045 H1/B bill by visiting
http://www.shusterman.com/h1b-faq.html

One other thing to ALWAYS AVOID:
Never agree to come here on a visitor/business visa B1 and work
Many employers say that H1 is in pipeline and till it gets approved you come over and start work! Nothing is wrong they will say!

Remember that B1 type visas are purely for business visit/visitor status. YOU CANNOT WORK ON IT AND GET PAID! YOu need a Social Security NUmber to start work legally here. You get that number (SSN) only if you have a H1 visa. Even if employer pays you in cash, etc. DO NOT TAKE SUCH STUPID RISKS!

If you are caught you can get screwed for life careerwise by the INS. In USA, ignorance of a law is no excuse if you committ a crime!
Check all the rules for this at the INS website: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/