eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Got screwed by the Landlord, what next?

We were looking for a 2BR apartment in and around our original place for that is closer to the University where wifey studies ...

After a lot of haggling or is it bargaining, they came to our price range of within 1400$/month ... The lady showed a one BR apartment in the same complex where the 2BR is ... She said that it is exactly the same as this one, except this one faces the road and the 2BR apartment is on the other side ... The Kitchen is upgraded with cabinets and microwave ...It is of the same color i.e. brown (with varnish) as is here ...Now this was finalized end of July and our current lease was expiring end of July. But she was willing to extend it to Aug 20th for the other apartment was not available until 20th of this month ...

Now when we goto sign the lease, wifey is just mentioning whether everything has been all set with the new apartment ... She said, I hope the microwave is all in there (although technically we dont care, as we already have it) ... She said I may have to check my notes to verify whether the apartment is upgraded or not ... And we are looking at each other and I am saying how much time does it take to verify and why are we discussing this now (4-5 days before the move) ... She said she will get back to me this Monday (we talked on this Saturday) ... On Monday, she does not call, I call her, whether do you have the information ... She said about what? Mind you I am talking to the same lady throughout (the one with whom we bargained, the one that showed us the apartment, the one that invited us over to sign the lease) ... And then she said ok let me verify, I will call you back ...

She calls back in like an hour and says well it is NOT ... wifey gets kind of angry and says well "Isnt it cheating that you promise something else and have no clue until the very end" and she is saying " for this price that is what we give, she is not acknowledging that she ever said this to me and my wife" ... I can understand we both cant have hearing problems on the same day when she is showing the apartment ...

So I talk to her and I give her this example: I come to your shop, you show me a sofa, we bargain over the price and now when I am at home waiting for the sofa to come, I get some another sofa, I then call you back and you say, well for this price this Sofa does not come ...except now it is not the sofa, it is an apartment, and I have friggin 3 days to find a new apartment and I am sure you have already give this existing apartment to a new tenant ... well, she said I have talked to my boss ... they are willing to forgo our security deposit, you can come and see the new apartment and if you dont like it you can look for another?

Any idea what should I do?
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got screwed by the Landlord, what next?

Call the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and lodge a complaint. Or, at least threaten to lodge a complaint. This is the classic "bait and switch" they pulled on you.

Unfortunately, you didnt get anything in writing (I presume). If you did, you got them by the balls. If you didnt, you can still be a nuisance factor which they may want to avoid.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

How important is upgraded apartment? Perhaps if you told her ... screw microwave and new drawers ... you will take it as it is but with new paint job.

This is unfortunate part of dealing with people of certain professions ... like insurance and real estate agents. They will try and take you for a ride ... if they can. They deal with people like us everyday ... we don't. They know all the tricks ... we call it experience. What good is experience when next guy comes up with brand new gimmick. Worthless experiences.

I avoid as much as possible ... middle aged or older people of mid-east origin. Young ones are okay. Unfortunately women in some professions are least reliable as you found out for yourself ... you cant place a dollar bait on their word or promise ... with all due respects to Rekhaji.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
What are your options? If you dont have any other options, If I were you I would have taken up their offer. It's better than being in a limbo, especially with a baby around.

I mean it's not like EC where if you dont like someone you just go ahead and ban him.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
How important is upgraded apartment? Perhaps if you told her ... screw microwave and new drawers ... you will take it as it is but with new paint job.
None whatsoever ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
Unfortunately women in some professions are least reliable as you found out for yourself ... you cant place a dollar bait on their word or promise ... with all due respects to Rekhaji.
They put woman in these professions, so that you cannot argue much ...

BTW, mellyPai BBB does not handle landlord related issues .. I will still call the local office and confirm ...
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
None whatsoever ...

They put woman in these professions, so that you cannot argue much ...

BTW, mellyPai BBB does not handle landlord related issues .. I will still call the local office and confirm ...
Called them and found that these kinds of complaints are handled by some housing authority ...
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When you are giving the security deposit, did you sign anything? like a lease etc? In that they should have mentioned clearly which apartment you have taken, for how much and for how long etc. Or is everything happening before you signed that lease?

If you do not have a choice, If i were you, I would take the apartment and see a lawyer. Now I am not sure how much a lawyer costs in your area...
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:31 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
If you do not have a choice, If i were you, I would take the apartment and see a lawyer. Now I am not sure how much a lawyer costs in your area...
Who has the time for a lawyer? I would call the office mgr and give him a piece of my mind. I would find an apt somewhere else. I don't wanna pay cheats.

Landyabhai I suggest you do month-to-month for a month or two in your present apt and find a real nice deal for yourself for later. Move before November so you are not moving in winter.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Proud LLKC member

OK called the housing authority and they say that it is partly your fault as well for you should have insisted the apartment that you are going to rent ... I told him that I personally dont care about the cabinets but I do care about the way they conducted the business ...

So he has given me 3 options:

(1) Contact the Attorney General's office -- Consumer Division
(2) Contact the Housing Inspection (although they will just conduct inspection to verify if it meets the state's statutory requirements)
(3) Contact the Licentiate Board ...

I am going with the first ... John Grisham, please bless thee with all your legal tactics that I have read in your novels
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK called the housing authority and they say that it is partly your fault as well for you should have insisted the apartment that you are going to rent ... I told him that I personally dont care about the cabinets but I do care about the way they conducted the business ...

(2) Contact the Housing Inspection (although they will just conduct inspection to verify if it meets the state's statutory requirements)

I am going with the first ... John Grisham, please bless thee with all your legal tactics that I have read in your novels
BTW, when you are ready to move out of your current apartment, PM me and I will give you some nice technique to get your own back. I did this when I had a panga with my apartment landlord and believe I dont care any more that I got screwed. I screwed them much much worse
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

We also had a similar problem where we were promised a balcony apt but ended with a patio . We took it since it was the only differenec and i desperately wanted to move out of the old one which was infested completely with bed bugs and coclroaches
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dude, now that you have some impressive names that you can call.. why don't you call the Manager and have a heart to heart.. tell him/her that you are going to pursue the above legal routes to have your complaints redressed, if they don't take care of it..

you can also give them the following exit option.. after looking at the apartment they show you.. you can throw a tantrum and say - there is no way i'm paying $1400 for this piece of shite. I can possibly do - say $1000, no security deposit, and month to month lease

Then threaten them with legal action citing misrepresentation (classic bait'n switch etc) and then lay out your impressive list of authority names (attorney general, BBB, Housing Inspection Authority etc) for additional effect.

even if they accept only a partial list of demands that you have set forth, if you think it's a good deal - just take it..

Worst case just accept the paint job or hand job that jogiji reccomended and move on.. whatever you do - do not take up melly's idea to pee in the carpet or Shit in the master bedroom as a way aaf getting back

Last edited by razzrhino; August 18th, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
BTW, when you are ready to move out of your current apartment, PM me and I will give you some nice technique to get your own back. I did this when I had a panga with my apartment landlord and believe I dont care any more that I got screwed. I screwed them much much worse
MellyPai, badla lene mein itna mazaa ataa hai, pehle kabhi socha nahi itna ... Sure dude, when the push comes to shove, I will shove it up their asses ...
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
do not take up melly's idea to pee in the carpet or Shit in the master bedroom as a way aaf getting back
Dude, get out of the minors and step up to the big leagues. What is all this childish shit and pee?
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Dude, get out of the minors and step up to the big leagues. What is all this childish shit and pee?
aite maharaaz - knowin you -surely something magnificently diabolique