eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old July 26th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Aaapka Dost

Rahul will become famous soon enoughRahul will become famous soon enough
Cool Guys whose working in US and paying a big sum for Soc.Sec, Please Act now.........

Hi,

This is regarding the Social Security Benefits. Every
month we r paying SS tax and we are not getting the
Benefit if we go back to India. US gov. has made
agreement with many countries but India is not in that
list. Please send your concern about this to US Govt.

Please inform all your friends in US and Deadline is
July 31. Provision of getting retirement benefits in India even
in min service of 1 year in the US. You might want to act on this. Please inform as many friends as possible. Please go to below link to read more about it and raise your voice by sending an email / Phone / Fax or mail. Here are the links and contact details.

http://www.ssa.gov/international
http://www.ssa.gov/international/comments.html

Email ur voice at : certificate@ssa.gov
( Look for sample text for the email below, if u
need, I would suggest to use ur own words )

OR

FAX your response to (410) 966-7025 or

PHONE in the information to (410) 965-3856 or (410) 965-0377 or

MAIL your comments to:
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 17741
Baltimore, MD 21235-7741

SAMPLE EMAIL TEXT
------------------------------------------------
Subject: International Agreements for Social Security
- Include India
To: certificate@ssa.gov

Dear Sir/Madam,

In past 10 years many young workers came from INDIA
and there are lot many to come in near future. Not all

of them settle in US due to various reasons. During
this time they share their earnings paying SS TAX.
They might retire in INDIA and they should have some
way to be eligible to get their SS benifits. INDIA
also has PERSONNAL PROVIDENT FUND program similar to
Social Secutiry in USA. We urge US govt to make
agreement with INDIA regarding Social Security
Benefits.

I think that an Indian Citizen who has worked in US
and has paid his/her share of SS tax should receive
SS benefits even if he/she is residing outside US.
I have noticed that this kind of benefits are
available for so many other countries in the world
but not for India!! I would like to see India in
this list. Thank you.

Regards,
<XXXX>
Old July 26th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Social Security Dilemma

Dear friends,

As you all know that now INDIAN population in US is increasing and we should be eligible for all the benefits that we are suppose to get in case we live here. But due to some conditions we might have to go back to our home land, still we should get our basic benefits like retirement benefits from Social Security Administration for which we pay a big share of our earnings from every pay check.

Time is short, I just noticed it today that SSA site has asked our
suggestion regarding this before 31st July 2001. Currently 18 country workers who worked in both countries are getting benefits bcos of agreements between their countries for SSA benefits. Our country is not in list, we need to speed up to raise our voice. So please go to below link to read more about it and raise your voice by sending an email /Phone / Fax or mail. Here are the links and contact details.

http://www.ssa.gov/international

Email ur voice at :
certificate@ssa.gov

( Look for sample text for the email below, if u need, I would suggest to use ur own words ) OR FAX your response to (410) 966-7025 or PHONE in the information to (410) 965-3856 or (410) 965-0377 or MAIL your comments to:
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 17741
Baltimore, MD 21235-7741

Note : Email to all ur friends and relatives whom you think may benefit directly or indirectly.

SAMPLE EMAIL TEXT
"In past 10 years many young workers came from INDIA and there are lot many to come in near future. Not all of them settle in US due to various reasons. During this time they share their earnings paying SS TAX. They might retire in INDIA and they should have some way to be eligible to get their SS benefits. INDIA also has PERSONAL PROVIDENT FUND program similar to Social Security in USA. We urge US govt to make agreement with INDIA regarding Social Security Benefits."
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old July 26th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Good post Rahul Bhai & Arya jee!!!!

Hope people respond.

Mark Twain

Last edited by videsee; July 26th, 2001 at 06:57 AM.
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Junior eCharchan

gujju is on a distinguished road
Good Thread Rahul

I have already sent the email. I hope everyone does this. This can be a great thing for India and lots of indian families from which someone has paid some tax here some time.

come one people. act soon!!!
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:34 AM
eCharchan

Ghasiyara is on a distinguished road
About 3 months ago, I'd mailed to SS office regarding the same. I got a response from them which I'm pasting below for the benefit of all...........
============================================================

Coverage under the Social Security program generally is mandatory. Unless specifically exempt by law, all earnings from employment in the United States--including earnings of citizens of other countries--are covered under Social Security and are subject to Social Security taxes. These taxes must be paid even though the taxpayer does not expect to derive any benefit from them.

You may be eligible to receive U.S. Social Security benefits as a
result of a bilateral agreement between the U.S. and your resident country.
These agreements help many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disability, or survivors benefits under the Social Security systems of one or both countries. These agreements also help people who would otherwise have to pay taxes to both countries on the same earnings.

You may access information about the agreements between the United States and other countries from the following Internet site:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/inter_intro.html

The Internal Revenue Service has jurisdiction over the issue of tax liability, including liability for Social Security taxes.
You may send any questions you have on tax liability to that Agency by:

Calling their toll-free number, 1-800-829-1040;
Calling or visiting any local IRS office;
Writing to them at: Internal Revenue Service
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20224
Accessing their Web site at: http://www.irs.gov

You may also want to access IRS' Publications 515 and 519 for details about employment taxes payable on the earnings of aliens. These publications are available on the Internet at:

http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs.html
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Aaapka Dost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghasiyara
(1) These taxes must be paid even though the taxpayer does not expect to derive any benefit from them.

(2) You may be eligible to receive U.S. Social Security benefits as a result of a bilateral agreement between the U.S. and your resident country.
Thanks to my friends circle, around 28 of my friends already sends the mails and fax and many are in process to do so, guys please please inform your friends about this, afterall we too get benefited if this applicable.

Now Ghasiara bhai, I have two question here.

Read your statement I put as 1st and 2nd, 1st dont u think its Kinda dhumky from the eNRI country like saaalo tumko to pay karna he padega, paad lo jo paadna he.

For second, what else can possible ??? when our socalled bullshit Govt. dont give a damn about those NRIs whose sending that precious foreign money to them, and they dont sign the treaty.

Last edited by Rahul; July 26th, 2001 at 08:00 AM.
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
For some reason, I am sure if some one were to sue them.. they will get back their deposit if not the benefit.. but kaun jhanjat kare ye soch ke log apni potli baandh kar ghar chale jaate hain.

As for me.. I think I am gonna settle here.. (if not for anything to get the SS CHECKS
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:34 AM

Thumbs down rahul, it applies to all taxes - everywhere in the world

All taxes are paid per the law-of-the-land and not because you are a direct or an indirect beneficiary of the taxes. For example, a part of your property taxes goes to support schools in your area. Now, if you are never going to get married or will never have kids to send to school, you may argue that you don't want to pay those taxes.

But, it doesn't work that way. Not just in USA, nowhere!!
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:42 AM

One doesn't have to live in USA to collect SS checks

... but you do have to work for 10 years (actually earn 40 points) to be elligible for payment
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Aaapka Dost

Cool Re: rahul, it applies to all taxes - everywhere in the world

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
All taxes are paid per the law-of-the-land and not because you are a direct or an indirect beneficiary of the taxes. For example, a part of your property taxes goes to support schools in your area. Now, if you are never going to get married or will never have kids to send to school, you may argue that you don't want to pay those taxes.

But, it doesn't work that way. Not just in USA, nowhere!!
Thats what I expect from a blind supporter of USA, but did u ever think, if 20 other countries people getting that benefit, why not we included in that list

The possible reason would be either nobody have raised this issue till now or Indian Govt. is too selfish to not to take care of the people, whose taking care of Big chunk of Foreign currency.

Guys, please spent a little time and send this post to all your friends. May be it'll help a little
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:05 AM

Exclamation Correct me if I am wrong

If you have worked in USA and paid SS taxes enough to earn 40 points, you get paid SS benefits no matter where you spend retirement.

If you do not have 40 points, you do not get retirement benefits

For countries that have bilateral agreements with USA have a Social security plan and employees working there pay social security. The bilateral arrangement moves this contribution (in full or part) to US and counts towards earned SS wages for determination of benefits.

Is that right??

Rahul, I was only commenting on the payment of taxes in general and not limited to just this case. Even in India one is required to pay taxes on income by law. But Indians are used to evading it and so continue to have the same attitude abroad.
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
These taxes must be paid even though the taxpayer does not expect to derive any benefit from them.

When the benefit is crystal clear as in the case of SS, this clause could make this contract INVALID.

It's like saying that you have to pay the Tunpike toll eventhough you are not going to travel on it

seriously. This can be challenged in court.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old July 26th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Aaapka Dost

Re: Correct me if I am wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
If you have worked in USA and paid SS taxes enough to earn 40 points, you get paid SS benefits no matter where you spend retirement.

If you do not have 40 points, you do not get retirement benefits

For countries that have bilateral agreements with USA have a Social security plan and employees working there pay social security. The bilateral arrangement moves this contribution (in full or part) to US and counts towards earned SS wages for determination of benefits.

Is that right??

Rahul, I was only commenting on the payment of taxes in general and not limited to just this case. Even in India one is required to pay taxes on income by law. But Indians are used to evading it and so continue to have the same attitude abroad.
Quite informative buddy, may be a silly question, but I really dont know whats those 40 points is, is it accumulate alongwith years of service or what ???
Old July 26th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Rahul pai..

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10035.html#1076333
Old July 26th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I too got that in email

Good job of psoting such important news.