eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute
Social Security?

If you have a Green Card; and at some point decide to relinquish the GC and return to India, do you get your social security contribution back?
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social Security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi
If you have a Green Card; and at some point decide to relinquish the GC and return to India, do you get your social security contribution back?

Yeah .....Right!

Lemme ask you, What do you think?
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

can't stop laughing man...

really, what do YOU think?

Quote:
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can only get your social security contrib. in one way... that is by being in need of it in your old age/unemployment/other eventuality.

Social security contribution is NOT an investment, it is a kind of collective insurance policy for old age/unemployment or other contingencies. You contribute for others and your (unlikely) contigency. I contribute it even if I am on a H1B or L1, as I am now being part of the setup. It is wrong for me to think that since I am not asking for security dole out (or even may not be getting one even in such situation), I should get my money back.

You will only get back your 401K or other investment as it is as I said an investment where as social security is a contribution.. there is a difference..

Other expert echarchans can correct me if I am wrong...
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gud
You can only get your social security contrib. in one way... that is by being in need of it in your old age/unemployment/other eventuality.

Social security contribution is NOT an investment, it is a kind of collective insurance policy for old age/unemployment or other contingencies. You contribute for others and your (unlikely) contigency. I contribute it even if I am on a H1B or L1, as I am now being part of the setup. It is wrong for me to think that since I am not asking for security dole out (or even may not be getting one even in such situation), I should get my money back.

You will only get back your 401K or other investment as it is as I said an investment where as social security is a contribution.. there is a difference..

Other expert echarchans can correct me if I am wrong...

SS (Social Security) has an actual name SSI to be precise. Social Security Insurance.

No, you do not get it for being "Unemployed". Its like retirement security. Yo get paid every other week after you become older than 65. Your under 18 children can get it from your contribution also in case you are dead, and had contributed for certain minimum # of quarters. You receive it even though you are working after the age of 65.
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal
SS (Social Security) has an actual name SSI to be precise. Social Security Insurance.

No, you do not get it for being "Unemployed". Its like retirement security. Yo get paid every other week after you become older than 65. Your under 18 children can get it from your contribution also in case you are dead, and had contributed for certain minimum # of quarters. You receive it even though you are working after the age of 65.
Amtha bhai, thanks for the enlightenment.. seems like I understood the crux of it albeit not to the level of detail you espoused

Basically it is not an investment that you get back, you recieve it only when you become old as per the rule or your underage family member gets it when you die after contributing some minimum number of quarters..

fair enough!

but what is that people get paid when they say they are out of work due to longterm illness or other such causes and they say they are living on security dole out.. is it not from SSI?
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

Quote:
Amtha bhai, thanks for the enlightenment.. seems like I understood the crux of it albeit not to the level of detail you espoused

Basically it is not an investment that you get back, you recieve it only when you become old as per the rule or your underage family member gets it when you die after contributing some minimum number of quarters..

fair enough!

but what is that people get paid when they say they are out of work due to longterm illness or other such causes and they say they are living on security dole out.. is it not from SSI?

That too is part of it. But from a paycheck now they collectively take out as "FICA". forgot the full name.
There are lot of categorized deductions from a paycheck (technically, but are put in one).
More than 15 years ago there was UI/DI. Atleast thats what I had seen in my paychecks in 1989. It was called as Unemplyment insurance/Disability Insurance.

But Now atleast, You do get money from government (ofcourse after certain # quarters contributed) if you become permenantly disable to work.

There are tonnes of desi chutiyaas around who are doing this. In big cities, like Chicago, LA, systems are literally corrupt like in India. You can bribe the govt officers and they will approve your "home made" documents and you will not only get SS, but food stamps and housing allownces etc.. I personally know quite a few of these Diggers.

Don't ask me what is "Digger". There are Wiggers, Miggers, Piggers just as *iggers.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

Social Security is a black hole for money. Dont even expect it when you retire. The baby boomers are gonna screw us on that and run the entire fund bankrupt by the time we retire. Bhaiya, apna apna $$$$ khud ki karo. if you think social security and a mere 401K is going to tide you over when you retire then you are dead wrong. It might sound harsh but if anyone is banking on just these two, then sit with a katora on the traffic light right now to supplement that income.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
We change, values don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu
Social Security is a black hole for money. Dont even expect it when you retire. The baby boomers are gonna screw us on that and run the entire fund bankrupt by the time we retire. Bhaiya, apna apna $$$$ khud ki karo. if you think social security and a mere 401K is going to tide you over when you retire then you are dead wrong. It might sound harsh but if anyone is banking on just these two, then sit with a katora on the traffic light right now to supplement that income.
Yep, an apt and well thought out warning for all desis who see themselves settling america...

many baby boomers have already become old in large numbers, the bankruptcy that you profess may come sooner than later...

for me it is a no problem.. I already saved at the rate of 4-5 lac per annum.. and invested it in land, which should give me a comfortable life back in India when I do retire...
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

Quote:
Yep, an apt and well thought out warning for all desis who see themselves settling america...

Well.....You did not asked me for warnings..
Otherwise I would have said same as Padhu.

Dubya's Dad G Bush raised the age limit to 65 for SS benefits so Dubya did not touched it. God freakin knows, which next Prez is gonna raise it again..! But in next two terms it will be raised for sure.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:
Of course...

Just call the White House and talk to George W. Bush. He will mail you a personal check of all your SS payments along with a 10% pa interest.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

many baby boomers have already become old in large numbers, the bankruptcy that you profess may come sooner than later...

for me it is a no problem.. I already saved at the rate of 4-5 lac per annum.. and invested it in land, which should give me a comfortable life back in India when I do retire...
There are no guarantees in life...just remember that