eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old July 30th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Jats and the Indian Media

Hi Folks:

One thing that has always bothered me is how the Indian media always seems to single out Jats. For instance, we never hear of "Brahmin leader" Vajpayee, chamaar / Bhangi / ChooRa leader Paaswan , Chamaari Mayawati , Punju So and so , Musalmaan leader so and so et al but you'd constantly read things like "Jat leader Devi Lal / Charan Singh / Ajit Singh / Chautala ....

Not long before , a Haryana Jat won Mr. India (??), and wherever I read the news it was made very obvious that this person was a Jat. Had the winner been from any other community you'd never hear that he was a Brahmin/Bania/ chamaar/ musalmaan or whatever.

Just look at Sehwag for another recent example. Everytime I read articles that use phrases like "The Jat lad", "The Jat batsman" and so on.

These are a few of the obvious examples that I can recall. But Indian media seems littered with such examples. Since these can be found across a whole variety of publications, one can't even say that "so and so journalist" is a bigot. Such references are pervasive across publications.

My immediate reaction is very negative, that Jats are always singled out. In most cases the news reflects Jats in a negative light, though I guess that is not always the case (as is the case with Sehwag and Mr India). When it is used in a politcal context, it is invariable negative.

I was wondering what others think about this.

Do you think that this is blatant castiesm and reflects biases against us ?

Or

Do you actually think that this is good ?

Obviously the word Jat is well recognized amongst all Indians. Here in India , even people from the south are well aware of who Jats are (though very often the image is not positive , ask uncle Parshu ). So in some ways the media is helping market us.

How do you folks see this ?
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I had heard this expression from the mouth of a Jat on a trip to New Delhi many years ago - "Jat buddhi bhains barabaar!"
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:32 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
yaar zyzzva,
baat to sochne layak hai teri.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old July 30th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute
For some strange reason, I was expecting a more rational and thought out response from echarcha . But I guess he must have had a hangover from some other thread related to whatever . So a bit dissapointed.

* Zyzzva rolls his eyes and looks bored with echarcha. *

Old July 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by raniraja
yaar zyzzva,
baat to sochne layak hai teri.
Toh kyaa kehti hai teri soch fir ?
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
What abt the Jat Regiment ?

Following your line of thought, I think you are right ...

But then its similar to saying that we have a "sikh prime-minister", a SIKH regiment

OR

a "muslim president", I dont remember the name of the muslim regiment (just hope ppl like dhurru and mohd are not there)

Last edited by landyaBhai; July 30th, 2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Qn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think that the Media singles out Jats. Almost all news will identify ppl either by religion or caste in indian newspapers.
For example, if a man died in care accident in India the news will printed as " A 26 year old Sikh man was killed in a car accident" instead of " A 26 year old MAN was k..."

When Kalaam became president, every headline highlighted the fact that he is Muslim. The same thing with the new PM.
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by zyzzva
For some strange reason, I was expecting a more rational and thought out response from echarcha . But I guess he must have had a hangover from some other thread related to whatever . So a bit dissapointed.

* Zyzzva rolls his eyes and looks bored with echarcha. *

In India, whether we like it or not, we all are used to highlight one's religion or caste.

Its a Christian or Catholic High School, never just school.
Its a Parsi charity hospital and never just a hospital.
Its always a Maratha strongman Sharad Pawar and not just Sharad Pawar.

So I dont think there is any singling out of Jats. In the hope that zzzya is mature enough to come to this conclusion, I decided to just put in a Friday mood reply.