eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old August 16th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Toilet Ek Prem - katha !

Nahin Bhai,....,.. abhi toh dekha nahih hai yeh picture,...

lekin,. aakhir koi kyun kuchh nahin baat kar raha?

toh socha ki,... ek-dau, sune huye reviews daal hi dun,..

Just to give it a start !

COPIED :

Toilet: Ek Prem Katha

Quote:
Quote:
I was born and raised in India. Personal hygiene was very important in my upbringing. Safe toilets and clean sanitation were a must and a given. Not just in the city where I was born and raised, even when I visited family friends and relatives in small towns and villages like Udipi, Puttur, Bellary, Shirali, Nagarmutt, Sojitra, Anand, Karamsad - there was always access to a toilet. If not in the house, there was always an enclosed toilet with running plumbing a short walk away, usually on the property, but sometimes a shared outhouse between multiple properties. We even had access to toilets in a remote Adivasi village in the hills we visited during a school trip.

I grew up believing that open defecation was a combination of poor infrastructure and the shamelessness of men. Typically the people defecating on the tracks are men from the slums. It is only recently I learned that it is not just poor infrastructure, but that some people are explicitly unwilling to install sanitation. Although, the shamelessness of men stands true. The last time I visited India, I joked that I had seen more dongs and bare asses after fifteen minutes on the train than all the gay po*n combined. Men in India are truly shameless as they will complain to no end about women showing skin or get outraged over extra cleavage but feel that their daily dong and ass show is no big deal.

Toiler: Ek Prem Katha is an important film that deals with sanitation issues in India. I am compelled to qualify "sanitation issues in Northern India" due to spending half a lifetime in India without facing the challenge of toilets. It boldly takes on a subject that is very controversial and sensitive to some people and tackles it head on. It deftly challenges people who use scripture as a means to oppose sanitation.

Akshay Kumar once again proves he is the most bankable actor in the industry. He shies away from big budget larger than life films. Most of his films are focused on interesting issues or simple but well-defined stories/characters. He brings Keshav to life with charming believability. However, I think Bhumi Pednekar is the one who gives a nuanced portrayal. It is not easy to portray the woman who is divorcing her husband, especially when the husband goes so far to meet her needs. Fortunately, aided with a well-written character and her acting chops, she plays this demanding wife in a completely endearing manner that you root for her.

Now while Toilet: Ek Prem Katha is a good and path-breaking film not just for tackling a difficult subject with finesse, but also being the first positively received film in Bollywood for a while; I personally cannot help but feel we are glossing over its flaws.

The first thing that sticks out is the age old portrayal of stalking as "romance". Granted it is inspired by real people and perhaps this is how things unfolded in real life. I do wish though that the romance was built through interaction and conversation, not creepy stalking, and then resolved with deus ex machina.

Secondly, for a social satire, it does rely on some juvenile humor. I admit the subject of the film does not render itself to anything but "toilet" humor. But I am a person with a stick up my ass who struggles with that kind of humor. I will also admit this criticism is hypocritical because I have no problem with adult and risque humor. To many people, toilet humor is more palatable than adult humor. So I have to allow this too to have some leeway due to the subject matter and subjective preference.

Next, there is an overdose of propaganda. For a film that is supposed to be entertainment with a message, it borders too close to the old propaganda films of CCCP and such. There is a bit too much focus on glorifying the current administration. The film could have easily been made without such overt references.

The pacing of the film is lackluster. I found myself yawning and checking the time on several occasions. Perhaps it was my inability to find some of the proceedings funny. As long as I laugh or enjoy, I don't mind the film not being tight and wrapping things up quickly. This time the lack of taut pacing was noticeable.

My final issue is that the focus was too much on modesty and safety and completely glossed over the hygiene aspect of it. To me, defecation is a natural and normal process. There is not much shame in it. However, there is definite hypocrisy in a society that requires women to cover up and show modesty - but has no qualms telling her to expose herself in a field. Sexual harassment and rape is another issue. Clearly, women who have to go to faraway fields face a lot of risks.

While the hygiene aspect was briefly mentioned, it was not covered. To me, the most important reason to have clean toilets and sanitation is hygiene. The crux of the story should have been hygiene. Human feces itself contains a lot of bacteria and germs. Most salmonella, food poisoning, or food related disease outbreaks are actually due to leafy vegetables being exposed to feces than raw meat or eggs. Feces washed into the natural water systems and the soil systems spread the harmful bacteria in the system for a very long time. In addition, it attracts insects like flies that further spread disease. It also attracts animals like rat who spread disease or sometimes large animals like bears. Many times when wild animals wander into human habitat, it is due to food and bodily waste not being disposed of safely. Urine contains nitrates and ammonia that can be toxic to some plant systems. That is why dog pee leads to dead patches in the grass. Again this material enters the environment and can inhibit crops. India suffers so many outbreaks due to poor hygiene. Our natural systems are under attack not just by toxic factories, but our very own lack of hygiene. It is not just feces. The Ganges is contaminated with corpses and other material too in the name of religion. I really wished the hygiene aspect and how much hygiene impacts the world around us was better emphasized. We lay claim to the Indus valley civilization that was one of the first in history to build sanitary sewer systems - how did our great civilization fall to this level of dirtiness. In an ideal society, modesty and safety would never be an issue. Unfortunately, our society is so unsafe for women making women's modesty and safety so important - that these are the only issues relatable to people and not hygiene.

Quote:
Toilet - Ek Prem Katha

Although there are many problems faced by women due to open defecation, this movie mainly focuses on the inconvenience part while other issues find a mention. The story is inspired by a real life incident that happened in UP. The story starts with how an unmarried person falls in love with a fiercely independent girl. The guy remains unmarried because of his father's superstitions until he meets the girl. And then it is about how they connive to get married based on a lie that fulfills his father's superstitious wish. The story arrives at the issue of Toilets fairly soon without wasting much time. After a few failed attempts of the lead pair at solving the issue through jugaad, the movie takes a turn with Bhumi going back to her maayka. The story gets serious.

It touches upon the issue and the right reasons behind it - misinterpreted Sanskriti, women's reluctance to stand up, male suppressive behavior, govt's apathy - all of them in right doses without being overdramatic. Current govt's initiatives finds some praise in the movie but meets with the right criticism that they should not just build toilets but also make people learn how to use them and ultimately make open defecation illegal. The movies touches all the right notes in right doses. The only problem is the songs which could have been avoided.

I felt umcomfortable watching some of the open defecation scenes (not explicity depicted) and there lies the success of the movie. It emphatically sends the mesaage how inconvenient it is for women by making its viewers uncomfortable.

Bhumi fits the role perfectly. AK has done a good job. The settings of rural UP are pretty authentic. There could be some shortcomings on technical front of movie making etc. but the story delivers the powerful message very directly without being coy about it. Must watch to see the message.
Old August 16th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future
Re: Toilet Ek Prem - katha !

Apan avoid Kiya tha isko. Collection toh jabardast hai iska. Collected almost 85crs in 5 days. Most people have positive reviews. Movie will do well bcoz of positive word of mouth. Jaake dekhna padenga.
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:19 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Old August 16th, 2017, 05:27 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidubhai View Post
Apan avoid Kiya tha isko. Collection toh jabardast hai iska. Collected almost 85crs in 5 days. Most people have positive reviews. Movie will do well bcoz of positive word of mouth. Jaake dekhna padenga.
Toilet ko koi kitna din avoid karenga?
Old August 17th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Toilet ko koi kitna din avoid karenga?
Sahi pakadein hain....
Old August 17th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

^ Reminds me that joke, where every body's part of the human body starts emphasizing of their importance,.... whiel going for a strike,..... and ass-hole, so silent so far,... speaks at da end,..saying,.... " Ok,... I am so useless,... so, here, I go on da strike and let see,... !

btw,... If Toilet is a Prem-Katha,........ What is Sulabh Shauchalay, then ? - A Prem-Granth ?

Last edited by log1iszero; August 17th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 17th, 2017, 05:14 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Sutradharji will love this movie.
Old August 21st, 2017, 12:09 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am going to watch this.. I immensely enjoyed PIKU

Now waiting for Toilet!! Will see it soon

BTW, where is swami? He has been missing since May end.... Where are you swami??
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
BTW, where is swami? He has been missing since May end.... Where are you swami??
Nobody knows, we all have been wondering. Not online on whatsapp either.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 12:43 PM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

Guptaji goomsoom baithe the ..
Humne pooncha Kya hua? Toh kehne lage ....
Dus din ho Gaye Toilet lagi hai, magar jaa hi nahin paa rahein hai
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

"टॉयलेट :- एक प्रेम कथा "
की जबरदस्त कामयाबी के बाद
जल्दी ही अगली फिल्म रिलिज
होगी जिसका नाम होगा......
"""" पाद :- the hydrogen bomb """"

Coming soon to a theater near you,...