eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Gaming

Notices

Gaming All about the wonderful games on the Internet, PC, XBOX, PS, GameCube, GameBoy...

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

khaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chess Puzzles

hehe, nice one , i dint saw that move (mentioned in the solution)

but, why would the black resign? it still has 2 pawns and a rook, i think one can hold to draw in a king-queen and king-rook state ? just dont let the black king move, and keep your king's support (white) to rook ( whats 'joor pe rakhana' called in English) ?

PS : Ah.. i forgot abt the a5 pawn, so that will make another queen.... yeah .. right.. good puzzle

Last edited by khaski_khopari; October 30th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaski_khopari View Post
hehe, nice one , i dint saw that move (mentioned in the solution)

but, why would the black resign? it still has 2 pawns and a rook, i think one can hold to draw in a king-queen and king-rook state ? just dont let the black king move, and keep your king's support (white) to rook ( whats 'joor pe rakhana' called in English) ?
Check this position:

Now in this position, white rook can take the pawn at a5, it cannot have the king take the pawn at f4. So if it's Rxa5 by white, I see the following:

Here the queen can create havoc by taking a pawn and also checking the white king ... White is having only one pawn at h5 that needs the rook to be pinned if it has to survive, if not the rook, the king, which will eventually need to be moved around to survive checks from black queen ... I can see that white stands to lose a lot because of queen's mobility ...
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

But where did black win ?
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post
But where did black win ?
I suppose white gave up seeing the black queen and its pinned pawns ...
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

khaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond reputekhaski_khopari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Check this position:

Now in this position, white rook can take the pawn at a5, it cannot have the king take the pawn at f4. So if it's Rxa5 by white, I see the following:

Here the queen can create havoc by taking a pawn and also checking the white king ... White is having only one pawn at h5 that needs the rook to be pinned if it has to survive, if not the rook, the king, which will eventually need to be moved around to survive checks from black queen ... I can see that white stands to lose a lot because of queen's mobility ...
is it White's move ?

if yes, then i think he should not resign, play rf5 and capture the pawn sooner or later, i dont think with 3 pawn and a rook, white is in any kind of losing position.

if i am not wrong, in a king-rook and king-queen (left at end) position, if we stick to basics , then we can force a draw.

With three pawns, i wont write off white chances for sure.

Edit : add - If its black's move, then it would be a different story as it can still save its f4 pawn, and promote it to queen.

Last edited by khaski_khopari; October 30th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaski_khopari View Post
is it White's move ?

if yes, then i think he should not resign, play rf5 and capture the pawn sooner or later, i dont think with 3 pawn and a rook, white is in any kind of losing position.

if i am not wrong, in a king-rook and king-queen (left at end) position, if we stick to basics , then we can held a draw.

With three pawns, i wont write off white chances for sure.
Khaski, this is what white has decide eventually:

Rf5, Qf1+

White needs to move its king out of check, it can only move to e4 or g4. Tell me, which one can avoid long term danger to check
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Proud LLKC member

I think white will move its king to e4 because that way the pawn at d3 protects the king and the king protects (or is pinned to protect) pawn at d3 and the rook at f5 ...

Old October 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Proud LLKC member

Chess Puzzle #2

With the success of chess puzzle replies in the first post of Chess Puzzles, I am posting another puzzle for the weekend ... For posting chess puzzles, please follow the instructions mentioned in the first chess puzzle thread

White To Play (and win)

source: chess.com

Last edited by landyaBhai; October 30th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chess Puzzle #2

White can take the bishop at e4.Black cannot take the bishop due to threat of Bc4 which will force black to lose queen.
1.Rxe4 dxe4 2.Bc4 Qxc4 3.Qxc4.
So rook is immune after 1.Rxe4 .That will equalize the material for white.

The most likely moves are 1. Rxe4 Kh8 2. Rae1 Qf8 (not 2...dxe4 3.Qxf7 losing the queen).

Last edited by Napolean; October 31st, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
White can take the bishop at e4.Black cannot take the bishop due to threat of Bc4 which will force black to lose queen.
1.Rxe4 dxe4 2.Bc4 Qxc4 3.Qxc4.
So rook is immune after 1.Rxe4 .That will equalize the material for white.

The most likely moves are 1. Rxe4 Kh8 2. Rae1 Qf8 (not 2...dxe4 3.Qxf7 losing the queen).
Naps that just evens the material ... how can white win with a series of forced moves like the ones you have mentioned here ...
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Proud LLKC member

Chess Puzzle #3

With the success of chess puzzle replies in the first post of Chess Puzzles, I am posting another puzzle.. For posting chess puzzles, please follow the instructions mentioned in the first chess puzzle thread

White To Play (and win)

source: chessgames.com

Level of difficulty (Very Easy)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chess Puzzle #3

knight to G6; pawn takes knight
Rook to h4 - checkmate
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

So puzzle ends in a checkmate?You can treat that as a clue given.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chess Puzzle #3

very nice.. are there more than one solution to these problems ?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Proud LLKC member

Chess Puzzle #5

Based on the tactic of discovery, wherein a piece upon moved results in a discovery of check by another piece on the board upon the opponent ...

This is puzzle from the book "Winning Chess Tactics for Juniors"

Black To Play (and win)

Level of difficulty: Moderate

Last edited by landyaBhai; November 3rd, 2009 at 09:49 AM.