eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old November 30th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LED bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Lol,I was asking about lumen of tubelight and led bulb
First of all LED bulbs are expensiver than regular bulbs, but they last just as long. In the United States of America, you can find LED bulbs are Krogers or Costco by the dozen and they are reasonably priced. You can find it in yellow light or white light.

I have led christmas lights for outdoors and they work quite well.

Old December 1st, 2015, 08:50 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Getting cheaper.

LED bulbs may get cheaper by Rs 20 with government ordering 5 crore bulbs in 10 days

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old December 4th, 2015, 07:28 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

That 100Rs. per bulb scheme is available in most of the country now (except Gujarat).

http://www.delp.in

Old December 6th, 2015, 04:33 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Here's a deal on rediff about LED bulbs - 10 x 12 watts for Rs. 700.

http://shopping.rediff.com/product/1...|trend_prd_BOT

Rediff and TOI are the oldest shopping sites that I know of in India. My experience with rediff has generally been good.

Where is that "Deal of the day" thread...??

Old April 5th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Ok,.. for LED / Fluorescent,.. the science is like this,..

I called GE at 800-435-4448 [ Bulbs are major sold at Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Ace hardware ]
I called Sylvania at 800-544-4828 [ sold mainly at Lowes, Home depot, Walmart, few categories also at other stores like K-mart ]

Type and Titles in LED and Fluorescent
Soft white = 2500K
Warm white = 3000-3500K
Bright white = 5000K
Natural day light = 6000-6500 K

More the number of Kelvin’s, more whitish the light is,..and Less the Kelvin,.. light is yellowish/Reddish. Also more whitish means more expensive. I am used to more whitish from the very beginning – the highest quality.
More yellowish means....... it ignites fast ( does not take time to warm and release the fullest light ) and takes no time, so use those in hallways, stairs,.. where you turn ON the light to pass by and then quickly turn it OFF

I am used to, with the highest Kelvin, so far in fluorescent and had bought most expensive bulbs ( also dimmable ) as, I always hated the incandescent kind of reddish / yellowish light outcome.
Now attempting to buying n' replacing with all LEDs. My house has 60-75 total nos of bulbs total in all total areas..

Sylvania makes: 40, 60 and 75 equivalent watts light bulbs in LEDs ( in standard sockets ) which uses from 8 to 13-15 watts actually.
It also makes Candle light sockets which uses 4-4.5 W and gives the light of around 20-25 watts, and the models are called B-10 and B-13.
GE also makes 40, 60, 75, 100 watts equivalent light of lightbulbs in LED.

IN LED category, both GE and Sylvania the highest Kelvin they have, is 5000K in regular sockets and 4000K in candle light socket. - and they also falsely call it as ' Natural Day light ' too.
though they says,……. in LED, 5000K is also equivalent to 6500K ( for whiteness ) in that fluorescent or incandescent bulbs category.

So, per my taste and quality expectation, I would go for the highest Kelvin.
I always like quality light,.. I buy and watch Sony n' Panasonic TVs and,.. never ever... Magnavox, RCA, gold-star or Thomas.
You can buy, other makes like Utilitytech (Lowes) or Lights of America,.... for LEDs, but it's like buying a cheaper Magnavox TV and spoiling the eyes....

Last edited by Jagmohan; April 5th, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:57 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmohan View Post
Ok,.. for LED / Fluorescent,.. the science is like this,..

I called GE at 800-435-4448 [ Bulbs are major sold at Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Ace hardware ]
I called Sylvania at 800-544-4828 [ sold mainly at Lowes, Home depot, Walmart, few categories also at other stores like K-mart ]
So, what did you talk to them about
Old April 6th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

• Which, the best quality, ( whitest ), [ Highest K ]
  • which diff base sockets, [ Candle light / regular ]
  • and which diff watts of category they make those,.... which are main "stores" carrying them,.. for LEDs

Price factor I can deal with, while looking at the Holiday sale, at the right store and at right time,...

I am fond of lights and at every living area and kitchen
I keep 4-6 diff source of light, and per the activity that I am doing, I ignite the bulb of my choice...
On my work table and Computer desk, I have 6-7 diff. source of light. While watching a movie, I love mini LED with dim lights for theater like effect,...

In my home,...I bet, 80-90 diff light sockets altogether,..

Last edited by Jagmohan; April 6th, 2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:16 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
If you go for LED bulbs for the look, feel class,etc., well and good.

But if you think they will be more economical, you will be falling for the marketing mumbo jumbo of bulb makers. It is exchanging low initial costs and relatively higher power consumption with higher initial costs and somewhat lower power consumption.

BTW the same cos used environmental reasons to ban the traditional incandescent bulb to push CFL lights. Though me thinks that was penny wise pound foolish. Lot more power goes in AC,heating etc.

And let's see, before the LED lights stop running, we will see something else.
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Banned

I see your point, and Elec company gives a listing of the power consumption in watts,
in each category. Which device uses how many watts,…

I bought few LED bulbs today, they are not that expensive,.. if you bought with right discount, sale and holiday sale - all combined together,…

But now, burning 6-7 watts instead of 60W and still getting the same amount of light, gives a lots of peace of mind, and you care not
burning 1W LED the whole night, as a night light which acts like a 15-20W bulb’s light.

My experience says, if bulb failed earlier, GE and Sylvania gives reimbursement, or you can also take back to the store.

Few months ago, I had bought 60W equi. LED bulb ( using 6.5W ) for 99 cents a piece. Not expensive. I am replacing at present, in the areas, where lights are used more,…
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:34 PM

^^
6-7 W for a 60W bulb means the incandescent equivalent. CFL light will consume 15 W or so. Typically the cost is much lower for CFL lights. 99c is good. The manufacturers seem to have made up for lobbying and marketing costs. But you might get a similar deal for CFL lights too.

And there is the 'obsolescence risk' after 3 years, they will come up with something else like laser lights or so.
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

1. whatever the bulbs of CFL you are not using now, is still with you as spare in any emergency,...

2. Busy areas like Toilet, hallway, Foyer, above sink, kitchen central, .. where lights are used most, can be replaced immediately,.. rest you may think a later,…

e.g. on my work desk for reading the papers and al paper work, I was using 15W fluorescent tube, now it’s replace with 5W 5000K LED, so can use that without any hesitance for the power consumption,..

I had heard of the new technology where the walls itself illuminates the room,…just like a normal sun-light day, and no light source any particular corner,... but it will act like sun-light.
But will take time to be on sale and in effect,..