eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Junior eCharchan

Bagheera is infamous around these partsBagheera is infamous around these parts
Question Contemplating PIL: Are my complaints valid or frivolous?

Many a times diagnoses by neurologists/neuropsychiatrists are questionable. Whenever the symptoms are difficult to understand, doctors mention some universal condition to get rid of the hassle of diagnosis. Whenever the disease is too high a concept for neuropsychiatrists to comprehend, they utter the name of such diseases which exist in everyone to some degree. They tell these ‘catch-all’ words and lo and behold the labours of trying to diagnose is over. The professionals utilize such generic terms when they fail to follow the matter.

Nobody can deny that the doctor is correct since it is a universal condition. The problem is patient’s misery is not caused by something the doctor referred to but by something else. For many years patients take the word of the professionals at face value. But then they notice that despite eliminating the ailments mentioned by the doctors, the troubles are continuing.

In extreme cases, the misdiagnosis can cause so much pain and agony that you have to experience it to believe it. By extreme cases, I mean a combination of factors like nagging parents and unusual circumstances. I will illustrate later how it happened.

I feel the usage of generic terms to deal with even such cases where it cannot be applied should be criminalized and made a punishable offence. This is the only deterrence. Without such strong measures doctors won’t stop this unethical practice.

So what are those universal words? What terms am I talking about?

Let me use hyperbole. Imagine this.

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Diabetes is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Diabetes is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Diabetes wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Asthma is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Asthma is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Asthma wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Color-blindness is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Color-blindness is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Color-blindness wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Cancer is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Cancer is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Cancer wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “HIV/AIDS is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). HIV/AIDS is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). HIV/AIDS wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Polio is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Polio is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Polio wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Filariasis is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Filariasis is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Filariasis wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Leprosy is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Leprosy is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Leprosy wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Chicken-pox is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Chicken-pox is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Chicken-pox wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Doctors make a fallacious statement. As fallacious as saying, “Conjunctivitis is caused exclusively by Depression or OCD or Anxiety or Stress (DOAS). Conjunctivitis is the symptom of only DOAS (convenient universal terms for incompetent doctors). Conjunctivitis wouldn't have happened to you if you didn't have DOAS. Case solved. Ask about next illness.” Isn't that statement absurd?

Last edited by Bagheera; March 23rd, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Junior eCharchan

Re: Contemplating PIL: Are my complaints valid or frivolous?

Let there be clarity of thoughts. I have TWO psychiatric problems and the medical fraternity has several demerits. The above described demerit applies to my FIRST problem. For the SECOND problem, the 'ingenious' doctors came up with another faulty response. Keep in mind which reaction corresponds to which complaint.

So here I describe only the second one.

The memory tests used by medical professionals are extremely flawed and cannot be applied to many cases.

Let me use analogy to drive home the point. Imagine a promising swimmer and a promising cyclist who were respective champions at junior and college levels till age 20. These sportspersons are overrated in this story but that’s not the topic. Suddenly at the age of 22, the swimmer and the cyclist claim that they are unable to swim and ride bicycle at all. When they try, they lose the balance. As if they had never learnt it in lifetime. The doctor folks whom they consult listen patiently and speak in a reassuring tone. The patients caution that their damage is of unusual kind and wonder whether the existing tests can detect the problem. The doctors reply that there is a varied range of tests which covers every kind of damage. Patients trust the doctor.

The tests begin. The sportspersons are told to walk. And then they are told to run. Then they are told to write with legible handwriting by copying from a newspaper. Of course they carry out all the tasks perfectly.

The doctors declare that the tests have been done and the subjects are normal. The sportsperson ask, "What about the lost ability to swim and ride bicycle? If walking, running, handwriting and reading haven't been affected, it doesn't necessarily mean that swimming and riding skills are intact."

The doctors have endless number of excuses to brush aside the complaint. The reasons they give are amazingly exasperating!

Sample 1:
Doctors say, "Everyone’s caliber isn't the same." Where does the question of caliber come in this? Just two years earlier they were champion swimmer and cyclist respectively.

Sample 2:
Doctors say, "You cannot be your earlier self." What??!!! Why should time or age be a factor here? How great is the difference between 20 and 22?

Last edited by Bagheera; March 19th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Junior eCharchan

Not only does misdiagnosis exacerbate the crisis, it also creates newer problems. As I said before, there are two illnesses. Doctors dismissed the first one as a case of DOAS (Depression, OCD, Anxiety, Stress) and for second they used flawed techniques. What they are basically saying is, "Absolutely nothing has happened to patient."

Due to abnormal mental health, my graduation was getting delayed. Had the diagnosis been accurate, parents response would have been, "We understand. There are these two handicaps. Take your time. We will not scold you."

But since doctors failed in their duty, parents nagged so badly that it disrupted my studies and worsened the delay. It’s not about what they speak. It’s because of the shrill sound my parents emit. Only if you were at the receiving end of that piercing voice, you will understand. See what happened:

1. Several times, I had the urge to take the extreme step.

2. After I had completed 8th semester but had few arrears (backlog) subjects, I wondered how to break the news of arrears subjects. So I went missing from home for 3 days and switched off the mobile. I thought then there would be no scolding. That incident, of course caused trauma to parents.

3. When I returned, I thought that it is resolved and now I would be free to study in peace for the backlogs. But then parents dropped a bombshell. They declared that they would accompany me to the other town for exam. My college was in another town. It was a bombshell because I had lied that there were only two backlogs when there were actually five left. I couldn't even attend all five because my mother accompanied me.

4. Since I had attended only two of the five backlogs, I had not finished the degree. But when parents called me on phone, I lied due to fear that I had passed. Now started the new problem. I couldn't study openly because since I had lied, I was scared that parents would ask why you are studying despite passing. What could have been over in two months got stretched to two years.

5. Parents would repeatedly ask for degree documents like certificate and marks card. I would postpone it on some pretext. When it took too long, I showed them forged certificates.

6. In order to be away from the watch of parents I decided to take a job outside the town and stay in a rented room. To get that job I paid some amount to my friend. But I was duped. I lost Rs. 60,000 but didn't get the job.

7. Let me repeat if not for the above mentioned bombshell, I would have cleared the remaining arrears in those two months itself. All that nagging by parents, my lying, consequent delay, loss of money etc happened because of the misinformation by professionals. Because of the misdiagnosis.

Last edited by Bagheera; March 21st, 2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

In case you have a specific complaint, you do not need a PIL. you can approach a consumer court and then follow all the way to Supreme court.

In case you feel existing laws are not enough, then you can launch a PIL.

For general interest, the Emission norms in India for Automobiles started with a PIL by environmental Lawyer MC Mehta.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:37 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

reserving space for commenting on other info.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:43 PM
dr.ibbler

drsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, reserving this space for future reply.
ड्राइवर सांता बाजुवाल्ला के साथ बहस करना मुश्किल ही नहीं नामुमकिन है
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:45 PM
dr.ibbler

drsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond repute

Reserving this as well... just in case earlier reserved space is not sufficient.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:47 PM
dr.ibbler

Reserving this space for exclusive reply to Shriman Sgar Jee.
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

The Aatmas of VP Singh, Arjun Singh and BP Mandal will be very Prasann on seeing so much of reservation.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:02 PM
The Destroyer of Maya

Origmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
The Aatmas of VP Singh, Arjun Singh and BP Mandal will be very Prasann on seeing so much of reservation.

Any congressi here? He/she will demand a minority quota too.
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:51 PM
Junior eCharchan

There should be provisions for patients to consult clinical researchers or genius type doctors who have the caliber to notice subtle things and skills to understand difficult concepts.
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
There should be provisions for patients to consult clinical researchers or genius type doctors who have the caliber to notice subtle things and skills to understand difficult concepts.
You hate geniuses. Why do you want patients to contact geniuses
Old March 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Crown will also be reserved until more info .
Old March 21st, 2015, 07:07 PM

If you file a PIL, you will actually get a solid scolding from the judge and that might land you in even more depression. Watch Jolly LLB.
Or if you go by 'Mohan Joshi Hazir Ho', you would have made the career of a Lawyer.

And Deepika Padukone also has depression (Or is it her logging in as Bagheera??)
Old March 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
If you file a PIL, you will actually get a solid scolding from the judge and that might land you in even more depression. Watch Jolly LLB.
Or if you go by 'Mohan Joshi Hazir Ho', you would have made the career of a Lawyer.

And Deepika Padukone also has depression (Or is it her logging in as Bagheera??)
I fail to understand why Deepika had depression - she had everything going for her.

So depression can come even if everything is fine and awesome in your life?