eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old November 21st, 2016, 06:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
How to make a short film out of a DVD?

I am trying to make a 5 minute video out of a 4 hour DVD (wedding dvd). This is going to show only the highlights.

Do anyone know how to go about it? I googled but feel so lost.
Please and thank you.
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:47 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make a short film out of a DVD?

I don't know anything that will help you, but in case you give it to somebody to work on please make a copy first and keep it safe. The "professional" guy editing the video misplaced the original CD of a book event, and it still pains me after more than a decade.
Old November 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I don't know anything that will help you, but in case you give it to somebody to work on please make a copy first and keep it safe. The "professional" guy editing the video misplaced the original CD of a book event, and it still pains me after more than a decade.
do you know how much do they charge, on an average?
Thanks for the tip.
Old November 21st, 2016, 08:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I am trying to make a 5 minute video out of a 4 hour DVD (wedding dvd). This is going to show only the highlights.

Do anyone know how to go about it? I googled but feel so lost.
Please and thank you.
do you have pictures from the wedding? do a slideshow type animation. easier to do that to condense the DVD.
Old November 21st, 2016, 08:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other option is to look for an open source Video editor, load your DVD Video in it, then choose the bits you want, cut out the rest and make a movie of the remaining.

examples of editors (I have used Videopad from the list and its ok for basic editing)

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...editor-1330136
Old November 21st, 2016, 08:44 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
do you know how much do they charge, on an average?
Thanks for the tip.
Shouldn't be much in India but I don't know about US/Canada.

Only yesterday I was charged $13 + tax for 2 instant passport photos, so you can imagine video editing would be quite costly.
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
do you have pictures from the wedding? do a slideshow type animation. easier to do that to condense the DVD.
But then this will look like a PPP not a short video clip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
Other option is to look for an open source Video editor, load your DVD Video in it, then choose the bits you want, cut out the rest and make a movie of the remaining.

examples of editors (I have used Videopad from the list and its ok for basic editing)

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...editor-1330136
Thanks, I will give it a try. I dont know if I can at all. I mean, the whole wedding is split into 4 parts, mehendi, wedding, reception and one small party at inlaws. All in 4 different dvds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Shouldn't be much in India but I don't know about US/Canada.

Only yesterday I was charged $13 + tax for 2 instant passport photos, so you can imagine video editing would be quite costly.
US is cheaper than in Canada then
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

On the MAC i'm told this is a piece of cake. On the PC more cumbersome. At a high level, you need to..

RIP the DVD to get a digital version of it,
get a video editor to cut/ edit relevant portions
add any sfx/music/tracks
repackage
burn dvd if that is your choice for redistribution

make sure the machine that you use has some serious juice as video editing takes some horsepower in terms of graphics capability/storage/ram/ DVD writer etc..

disclaimer: my info is a decade old so.. may or may not be relevant
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:42 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Umm I know how to do it but it's not something that can be taught here on echarcha. Do you have specific questions?

Sent from my iPhone.
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Windows movie Maker which is free for Windows users. Try playing around with it. I was actually using it to merge small files but you could do other way too.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Umm I know how to do it but it's not something that can be taught here on echarcha. Do you have specific questions?
I think I am not capable of doing this.
A professional is charging me $350 and then $50 per hour if the work is not done in 5 hours. I feel its too much.

edit: will you do it for me? I will pay you.

Last edited by Aashika; November 22nd, 2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There is a Windows movie Maker which is free for Windows users. Try playing around with it. I was actually using it to merge small files but you could do other way too.
I will try
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
On the MAC i'm told this is a piece of cake. On the PC more cumbersome. At a high level, you need to..

RIP the DVD to get a digital version of it,
get a video editor to cut/ edit relevant portions
add any sfx/music/tracks
repackage
burn dvd if that is your choice for redistribution

make sure the machine that you use has some serious juice as video editing takes some horsepower in terms of graphics capability/storage/ram/ DVD writer etc..

disclaimer: my info is a decade old so.. may or may not be relevant
ok! I dont think I have enough expertise to do this
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajapati View Post
  • 1. You can first use packages like

NOTE : I just read the word wedding DVD in OP's post, then it must be already in either mp4 / AVI / mpeg format,....... so avoid the step 1 shown above, as it's for the English movie DVds.
Read more on " Handbrake " and see if it can do it..

this all sounds too complicated.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think I am not capable of doing this.
A professional is charging me $350 and then $50 per hour if the work is not done in 5 hours. I feel its too much.

edit: will you do it for me? I will pay you.
Unfortunately, video editing is very time consuming unless you're in it for full time or have enough reusable templates available. That's why the rates you mentioned are realistic for this job. But shop around, and find something less than professional and see if it suits your budget. Look up Meetup groups in your vicinity to either learn video editing yourself, or to find someone in that group who would be interested in working with you. I don't want to sound rude, but I cannot take it up. If I had the time, I wouldn't expect to get paid either.

When do you need it by? If you have plenty of time, perhaps you can use this thread as a tutorial to ask your questions and do it yourself.

What's your most powerful machine, Windows or Mac?

Sent from my iPhone.