eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old September 21st, 2018, 11:56 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Are latest tech buzzwords old wine in new bottle

Few things that are buzzwords nowadays are cloud, AI, machine learning, big data, predictive intelligence etc. I was talking to one knowledgeable non desi person my age o what exactly cloud stands for. He said that’s when data and processes happen elsewhere. I asked “wasn’t that ASP ( Application Service Provider) which was in vogue in 90s doing.? He shrugged and said yes.

Then attended a training on AI. The concepts used like eigenvalues, eigenvectirs and cosine similarity are 100 year old mathematical concepts.

That leads to the question “what exactly is new about these”
Old September 21st, 2018, 01:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Re: Are latest tech buzzwords old wine in new bottle

Tu kya bol raha hai??

Please now don't go down the rabbit hole that AI was invented by our Mahabharata ancestors!

AI, machine learning, phalana and lassoon are still evolving concepts. It's definitely not the same as the 90s.
Old September 21st, 2018, 02:38 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
Last start with “how is cloud different from ASP”.
Old September 21st, 2018, 07:45 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
^^
Last start with “how is cloud different from ASP”.
Infra is with somebody else.. no more data center cost and everything that goes with that elephant. Your data you manage, you host your services but servers are say, with Amazon. And you can downsize and upsize each month according to need.

I think ASP concept is similar .. but cloud is you owning your share and managing it.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:24 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Some words are definitely buzz words, while some are not.

Earlier it used to SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) and now its Microservices Orchestration!

Earlier it used to be ITOPS who took care of deployments and wrote bash scripts and other tools to automate deployements. Now it is DEVOPS who do the same thing but have a fancier name.

Anyway, will write a bit more later about the fads I have seen.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Silicon Valley is the birth place of most innovative technologies and fads and buzzwords as well.

Long ago everyone was talking XML XML XML. And the SOAP protocol. Well, SOAP is still used by many financial institutions, but now the new fad is REST protocol and using JSON instead of XML. Again, REST has its pros and cons and so does JSON, but the valley likes new buzzwords, new fads and shiny new things.

Earlier it was all about writing your app in 'modules' so that you did not end up with a 'monolith'. Now the same is called 'micro-services'.

Long ago, when you needed an indentical operating system setup on multiple machines, a tool called Ghost was used. At least on Windows machines. Now they have docker images and kubernetes.

Earlier there were mechanisms and configurations built into all transaction based systems like financial transactions, banking transactions, etc to comply with the Sarbanes-Oxley law which came into effect after the Enron meltdown. Now they have taken a part of the bitcoin technology to use 'block-chain' for tracking transactions and ensuring that there are no hidden modifications to the transactions.

Some of these things are good and create new mechanisms and opportunities. But some are pure fads and buzzwords which allow a certain section of the valley folks to host conventions and meets for which you have to shell out money to attend.
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:40 PM

^^Marketing seems to be the key. New buzzwords create more excitement.
Like in the ASP cloud thing, another party owning your service triggered privacy and data security issues. Cloud looks an improvement over ASP which addressed the issues, but a new word created more hype.
For my pix and videos though I am still better of saving them in my storage devices than pay for iCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Infra is with somebody else.. no more data center cost and everything that goes with that elephant. Your data you manage, you host your services but servers are say, with Amazon. And you can downsize and upsize each month according to need.

I think ASP concept is similar .. but cloud is you owning your share and managing it.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:23 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not in the app development world, am into data world. For us cloud is a super thing. No more server commissioning, infra takes forever to obtain.. a company I know has sold one of its billion dollar data center and rented only a floor from the 5 it used to own.. in a couple years they will not be renting even 1 full floor.. may be a couple rooms in their own premises.

Say, we are putting 5 TB of Data systems into production in next 6 months, we can start paying for 10-20 GB for next 6 months, then ramp up .. not possible in current infra world. Takes a couple years planning.

For us, cloud and big data, especially AWS is the real deal ..

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; September 25th, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
^^Marketing seems to be the key. New buzzwords create more excitement.
Like in the ASP cloud thing, another party owning your service triggered privacy and data security issues. Cloud looks an improvement over ASP which addressed the issues, but a new word created more hype.
For my pix and videos though I am still better of saving them in my storage devices than pay for iCloud.
My home pc crashed recently, I’m glad most of important docs and pics are in icloud and google drive.. soon i gotta retrieve data from hard disk.