eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > TV and Radio

Notices

TV and Radio Whats up with your favorite show?

Old June 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BR Chopra's Mahabharat - A question

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
100 sons I believe.

You know how they were born ?

By the way !! Drithrastra had 101 sons... One of them left Kaurava army and joined Pandavas before the battle began when Yudhistra invited anybody from opponents to join his army.
totally 100 sons . 99 fought on side of kaurava army , one against.
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
totally 100 sons . 99 fought on side of kaurava army , one against.
100 sons and one daughter I believe... the one who fought for pandavs was Yuyutsu and the girl's name was Duhshala(dushala) if I remember correctly.

Both Duryodhan and Duhshahshan were supposed to be called Suyodhan and Sushashan. Looks like they wanted to form D company and changed their name.... their deeds changed their name....

Old June 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
I have read the entire Mahabharat a couple of times and the Bhagavad Gita several times and have a strong opinion about this topic. I like the question posed by the poster, because it cuts to the heart of the Bhagavad Gita.

First of all, is the Mahabharata a fairy tale or a depiction of actual events? I think it was based on an actual event, but was then re-written to suit the victors. The authors of the tale did a fantastic job capturing the facts, but did a lousy job of rewriting it (maybe on purpose). This should be evident by the names given to the "villians" - Duryodhana / Dushasana. Do you really think Dhritarashtra, would loved his son dearly, would give such a rabid name?

Anyhow, back to topic. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna clearly defines the term 'Dharma'. Dharma means performing duties defined by your birth. A brahmin by birth remains a brahmin, a trader's children remain traders, so on and so forth. There was clear categorization and separation of duties. The job of Kshatriyas was to protect the Dharma - make sure that every individual performed duties (Karma) assigned by birthright (varna)! Most of the Bhagavad Gita is about the importance of this social architecture and what role each caste plays in society. If that makes them casteist, then so be it.

However, I think the Brahmins were responsible for inventing two extremely vital historical concepts. 1. Caste-based order - which provides for separation of duties and 2. A monetary order - as metaphorically described in the "kshirsagar" episode. Because of these two concepts, mankind was able to make a gigantic leap forward in creativity and prosperity, since it allows for specialization of skills! India might have become an extremely prosperous country and so the idea may have been to enforce the caste-based order to preserve their prosperity. I may have glossed over my thoughts, but I know it's profound and worthy of an award!!

At any rate. If you accept my argument about Dharma - then it becomes very obvious why Yudhishtir would have judged based solely on caste. He was, after all, the "Dharmaraj"!
I maintain values change with time.... because our perception of truth, justice and righteousness change with time. So regardless the factuality and fictionality of mahabharat , one cannot justify it in our time.

Remember Pandavs first asked for half of the empire, being refused they wanted five villages when even that was not granted they won it on might.
There should not be any complaints or grievances on Duryodhan's part. He lost it despite having a bigger army.

Duryodhan would have never fought the battle had he thought he would lose the battle....he lost it fair and square, why complain. The morality of the tale is of its times. We can't gain much from it today. That's why it seems unjust, unfair and unethical.

Old June 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
100 sons and one daughter I believe... the one who fought for pandavs was Yuyutsu and the girl's name was Duhshala(dushala) if I remember correctly.

Both Duryodhan and Duhshahshan were supposed to be called Suyodhan and Sushashan. Looks like they wanted to form D company and changed their name.... their deeds changed their name....
Well give a rest to the confusion...

101 Sons = 100 Sons from Gandhari + 1 Son from a maid

maids son = Yuyutsa

their names :

01. Duryodhanan 02. Dussaasanan 03. Dussahan 04. Dussalan 05. Jalagandhan 06. Saman 07. Sahan 08. Vindhan 09. Anuvindhan 10. Durdharshan 11. Subaahu 12. Dushpradharshan 13. Durmarshanan 14. Durmukhan 15. Dushkarnan 16. Karnan 17. Vikarnan 18. Salan 19. Sathwan 20. Sulochanan 21. Chithran 22. Upachithran 23. Chithraakshan 24. Chaaruchithran 25. Saraasanan 26. Durmadan 27. Durvigaahan 28. Vivilsu 29. Vikatinandan 30. Oornanaabhan 31. Sunaabhan 32. Nandan 33. Upanandan 34. Chithrabaanan 35. Chithravarman 36. Suvarman 37. Durvimochan 38. Ayobaahu 39. Mahabaahu 40. Chithraamgan 41. Chithrakundalan 42. Bheemavegan 43. Bheemabelan 44. Vaalaky 45. Belavardhanan 46. Ugraayudhan 47. Sushenan 48. Kundhaadharan 49. Mahodaran 50. Chithraayudhan 51. Nishamgy 52. Paasy 53. Vrindaarakan 54. Dridhavarman 55. Dridhakshathran 56. Somakeerthy 57. Anthudaran 58. Dridhasandhan 59. Jaraasandhan 60. Sathyasandhan 61. Sadaasuvaak 62. Ugrasravas 63. Ugrasenan 64. Senaany 65. Dushparaajan 66. Aparaajithan 67. Kundhasaai 68. Visaalaakshan 69. Duraadharan 70. Dridhahasthan 71. Suhasthan 72. Vaathavegan 73. Suvarchan 74. Aadithyakethu 75. Bahwaasy 76. Naagadathan 77. Ugrasaai 78. Kavachy 79. Kradhanan 80. Kundhy 81. Bheemavikran 82. Dhanurdharan 83. Veerabaahu 84. Alolupan 85. Abhayan 86. Dhridhakarmaavu 87. Dhridharathaasrayan 88. Anaadhrushyan 89. Kundhabhedy 90. Viraavy 91. Chithrakundalan 92. Pradhaman 93. Amapramaadhy 94. Deerkharoman 95. Suveeryavaan 96. Dheerkhabaahu 97. Sujaathan 98. Kaanchanadhwajan 99. Kundhaasy 100. Virajass 101. Yuyulssu 102. Dussala (girl)

source
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

shruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: BR Chopra's Mahabharat - A question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
I find it hard if not difficult to believe that someone actually shat through 857 half-hourly episodes of a boring series ... excruciatingly boring.

My compliments!
He must be watching such genre for first time. That's why . . . Recall what effect Raj Kapoor's Awaara had on Russians. Because it was the first of that genre that they saw.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Sutradarji ... thanks. Apologies again. I will behave.

Copy/paste

Hereunder is provided a short table dates of important Mahabharat events in years. (Dates and Tithis in years in Rama Samvat assuming Shri Rama Samvat 1st January. 1 equivalent to 1st Jan 7323 B.C. Rama's birth date has been conclusively proved to be 4th Dec. 7323 B.C.( "Vastav Ramayan").

EVENT DATE

Going to forest 4th Sept. 5574 BC

Kitmeet Killed 7th Sept. 5574 BC

Going underground 19th May 5562 BC

Keechak killed 1st April 5561 BC

Anukeechak-Massacre 2nd April 5561 BC

End of secret life 9th April 5561 BC

Cows stolen 15th April 5561 BC

Arjuna exposed 16th April 5561 BC

All pandavas exposed 19th April 5561 BC

Marriage of Uttara 4th May.
& Abhimanyu.

Krishna set out for a treaty. 27th Sept.

Stay at Upaplavya 27th Sept.

Stay at Vrukshthala 28th Sept.

Dinner to Brahmins 29th Sept.

Entry into Hastinapur 30th Sept.

Krishna meets Kunti etc. 1st Oct.

Invited for meeting 2nd Oct.

First meeting 3rd Oct.

Second meeting and an attempt 4th Oct.
to arrest Krishna.

Third meeting Vishvaroopa 7th Oct.

Stay at Kunti 8th Oct.

Krishna meets Karna. War 9th Oct.
fixed.

Krishna returns 9th Oct.

Pandavas preparation 11th Oct.
Balaram's visit.

Mahabharat war started 16th Oct.

Abhimanyu killed 28th Oct. 5561 BC.

End of War 2nd November 5561 B.C.

Yudhishthira crowned 16th Nov. 5551 BC.

Bhishma expired 22nd Dec. 5561 BC

Pandava campaign 15th Jan. 5560 BC
for wealth

Parikshita born 28th Jan. 5560 BC

Pandavas return 25th Feb. 5560 BC

Ashvamedh Deeksha. 1st March 5560 BC

Return of Arjuna Horse 15th Jan. 5560 BC

Ashvamedh yajna 22nd Feb. 5559 BC

Dhrutarashtra went to forest 18th Aug. 5545 BC

Pandavas visited Kunti 18th Aug. 5543 BC
Vidura expired

Death of Kunti, Dhrutarashtra, Sept./Oct. 5541 BC
and Gandhari

Yadava Massacre 5525 B.C.

Parikshit Dead 5499 B.C.

Link ...
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting tantric!!I would have raped you if it were of any use.