eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > View - Counter View

Notices

View - Counter View Topics which have two differing view points

Old January 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grading versus percentage system for evaluation in schools

KKKK, the grading system and continuous evaluation sound good, so long as the student population is small. When a teacher is looking after a class of 60-70 students, you seriously don't expect him/her to provide individual attention to everyone.

In our setup, this will only result in more corruption all around. And what about the students who want to take up professional courses after 10th?
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
KKKK, the grading system and continuous evaluation sound good, so long as the student population is small. When a teacher is looking after a class of 60-70 students, you seriously don't expect him/her to provide individual attention to everyone.

In our setup, this will only result in more corruption all around. And what about the students who want to take up professional courses after 10th?
I dont understand why you assume any of that needs to change with the new grading system. Why cant a teacher look after 60 students with the same zeal and get them through the new system? We are implying that in todays world, teachers dont actually give attention to everyone in a 60 student class. If at all, this will increase pressure a bit on teachers to be more serious in giving attention to the students.

Why should it matter if students want to take professional courses after 10th? you saying the professional course institutes will not be able to decide who to take up on the basis of grades?
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I am not IMPLYING, but SAYING that the teachers can't humanly give individual attention to 60 students in a class. Somewhere you will find recommendation that each class should consist of maximum 35 students. Of course this will never happen.

And Grading is wrong at competitive level where merit is supposed to determine the winners. Don't you think there is a vast difference between a student who scores 98% and one who scores 92%?? All of them would be in A or A++ grade.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

ofcourse there is a big difference even between one who scores 96 and one who scores 98. only, I think that just one exam is not sufficient. There could be a lot of flukes, misfortunes, unlucky ones. out of the 1000 pages between 10 books I read, I could be an unlucky one to get only questions in paper from the 90 pages I did not read! It does not make me any less meritorious than someone who gets all the question in the paper that he has read about.
I think continuous exams will inculcate the culture of samajh ke seekho, rather than ratta maro.
I would always rely on someone who scores 95 consistently through out the year, rather than on one who can demonstrate 98 only at the end of the year.

so we are also saying that no matter which type of system you go for, year round exams with grading or an end of year one exam, the number of students more than 35 is a problem anyway... no point talking about it then? should be taken as a separate issue?
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

This is how grading system works in the universities in US. Throughout the semester students are given projects, homework, quizzes and exams. The overall score is based on the score of all the above. Final exams are usually just 20-30% of overall grade. Then you get grade based on overall score. Usually this is the way it goes A(90-100), B (80-89.9), C (70-79.9, altough in my first programming class it was from 75-79.9), D (60-69.9) and F (below 59.9). Now the advantage of such a system is that your performance is not based on just one exam but your overall performance throughout the semester. You screw up one exam, you almost lose a grade. There are chances but you have to work really hard to improve grade. Almost every class, you get some kind of the task that could be counted towards your grade. I think this system is much better than the board examination system we have right now. Some classes have more than 60-70 students. In such case a professor usually gives multiple choice exam or they have assistant who would do the grading.

Moreover, I don't think there is big difference between a guy who got 98 and one who got 94. It just means that the person getting 94 was just a little unlucky on the examination day. Both of them could perform the job well. Yes, a person getting lower marks can be more success sometimes in life because life does not simple rules. If a lower grade candidate ace the interview and explain clearly what he has learnt, he would get a job and I think he deserves it too because communication is the key in workplace success. Also there are people who are good at giving exam but not at implementing the materials learnt (Chatur Ramalingam from 3 idiots). Thats what our education system promotes right now. Everything is based on how you would give the board exam. Get sample papers, tricks and techniques of writing exams and don't even think about writing something out of the box.

I think this is the step in the right direction and everybody should encourage. Let me also say that this system is in no way easier. Students would be required to work hard throughout the year not just last two three months. I did my 12 in India and did my B.S and M.S from US. I have to say that compared to US system, Indian system doesn't seem like hard work at all.
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Title: deleted 12:21 PM

amritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond repute

Throughout the semester students are given projects, homework, quizzes and exams. The overall score is based on the score of all the above. Final exams are usually just 20-30% of overall grade.

I started school in the late sixties and we had similar system too (Kendriya Vidyalaya). It was not a semester based, but final exams were just 40% and the rest was classwork, homework, quizzes and unit tests.

I think the students will like the grade system. In practice what it means is that late in the semester you can look at the grades and focus on those where you could move across grades (i.e. from C+ to B-). The + and - don't count because B-, B, and B+ carry the same points. So if a student has a B in a subject, even if he puts his best performance late in the game it won't change to A- and worst performance won't take it back to C-. So he can leave that subject alone and focus on something material that is on borderline.

Percentage systems are horrible. I am glad CBSE is getting out of it. The Merit List was another nightmare and thankfully behind us (in Maharashtra at least).