eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Music Your tune...

Old May 31st, 2001, 02:08 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Indian classical music

how many of u feel indian classical music is boring !!

I like it very much and it cool to hear(though i cant sing) and it needs complete dedication. What u feel guys and gals ?
Old May 31st, 2001, 02:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
I find pure classical music boring, however I like light classical. What I like most is classical based Hindi film songs. One of my favourites is Kuhu Kuhu Bole Koyalian by Rafi and Lata.
Old May 31st, 2001, 02:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Cool hmmmm....

Pure classical seems sometimes boring , it depends on singer/performer. Have u listen Bheemsen joshi/Jasraj/Kishori amonkar or Bhismilla khan/HP Chorasiya/Ravi Shankar.

They are legends. Listen them , they are really cool.

I also like classical based songs. My favs are kuhu kuhu, Ek shahen shah ne banawake,tu hai mera prem dewata and many more .....
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Listening to Begum Akhtar
Jab se Shyaam Sidhaare - Thumri

Kishori Amonkar
Bhimsen Joshi

Unfortunately with this generation Indian Classical Music......both listeners and singers are on the wane!

Mark Twain
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
get ur hands on 'piya bawari' cassette launched by times music...its classical singing n background music has been given using western instruments...its damn good ...u will find it in any music world or planet M stores
Old August 5th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Junior eCharchan

SimpleSimon is on a distinguished road
Indian Classical Music

As the cliche goes - there are two types of music - good music and bad music.

Indian classical music is traceable to the Rig Veda, a lineage that goes back several thousand years. I am not sure how many other genres of music can boast such a heritage. I must confess to being quite indifferent to Indian Classical Music early on in my musical youth, but I was lucky to have seen many, many of the stalwarts live, like Mallikarjun Mansur, Ustad Vilayat Khan sahib, pandit Ravi Shankar, the Dagar Brothers, Pandit Ram Narayan, L. Subramaniam, Lalgudi Jayaraman, 'Veena' Balachandran, Kishori Amonkar, balamurali Krishna and many, many more, and so my ears opened to the depth and quality that can be found in our classical music tradition.

That is not to say that our music is necessarily superior, because there are countless talented musicians in all genres of music, be it hard rock, or jazz, or pop music, or various folk music or western classical music, that it really makes no sense to get into often meaningless comparisons about the relative merits of the different kinds of music.

I often feel that music teaches us to clear the cobwebs of prejudice and narrow-mindedness from our minds and listen to what is pure and true.

Music is timeless when it is made with passion for the art, and not to scoe a hit on VH-1 or emp-TV.

Peace!
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Banned

Dude is on a distinguished road
The long and short of it is that

I hate Indian classical music and find it very boring and I feel like sleeping whenever I get to hear even a line of it
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Qn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of light
My knowledge of indian classical music is almost zero. But when I do come across some classical music, I do listen to it. I don't find it boring. Its very intersting once you pay attention to the musical notes.
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Junior eCharchan

pathik is on a distinguished road
To appreciate classical music, eastern or western, you need either some background or patience. i used to hate classical when i was a kid. but slowly over the years i have learned to love it. for me the key was exposure to certain ragas which sound pleasant even to untrained people, like bageshri, malhar or bhairavi.
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
To appreciate Indian classical music, be it hindustani of carnatic, a person has to have some basic affinity to the basics of music.

Lay= Speed (also known as guNa).
Taal= The rythm
Raaga= The style

The reason you can feel bored to listen to a classical number is the timing. All ragas are meant to be sung at a certain "time" of the day. For example, raag khamaj and bhairav are sandhyaakaalen ragaa (typically sung with re and ni komal (dha komal in bhairav)) while raag basant sounds heavenly when the weather is favorable. It will sound lame if you hear raag basant on a Hot and humid day.

Appreciation of taal is important to appreciate the progress of a certain song. For instance, you will not find it impressive if a certain song that is meant to be sung in tritaal (16 beats) sung at say rupak taal.

Its important to know taala to appreciate any music, let alone classical. I love classical music and from the film world, the ones I love are.. madhuban me radhika naache re, Dekho bijli bole bin baadar ke, Tu hai mera prem devataa, Bole re papi haraa, Kaa karun sajani (not purely classical but still), and many many more.

All songs be it filmy or anything are always based on a raga or a mixture of them. For example, Kuch to log kahenge.. logon kaa kaam hai kahnaa is based on raag khamaj.

I have had the unique oppurtunity of seeing many many great stalwarts of classical music including (but not limited to), N. Ramani (carnatic flute), U. Srinivas (Carnatic mandolin), Kunnagudi Vidayanathan, Lalgudi G jayaraman (both carnatic violin), T. N sheshagopalan (carnatic vocal), Pundit Bhim sen joshi (hindustani classical), Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Hindustani flute) and many many more and was always mesmerised by them.

Last edited by GpeL; August 5th, 2002 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Ravibhai yaar gotta disagree with you on this. I don't know anything about RAGAS, TAAL or LAY. To an extent my love for classical music was because I used to watch my father listen to a Bhimsen Joshi or he would take me to meet Ustad Amjad Ali Khan. But that was it. The extent of my knowledge.

But when I want to relax, it is this music that really soothes me.

A question:
Do you think Indian classical music will die out?

Mark Twain
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
To appreciate Indian classical music, be it hindustani of carnatic, a person has to have some basic affinity to the basics of music.

Lay= Speed (also known as guNa).
Taal= The rythm
Raaga= The style

The reason you can feel bored to listen to a classical number is the timing. All ragas are meant to be sung at a certain "time" of the day. For example, raag khamaj and bhairav are sandhyaakaalen ragaa (typically sung with re and ni komal) while raag basant sounds heavenly when the weather is favorable. It will sound lame if you hear raag basant on a Hot and humid day.

Appreciation of taal is important to appreciate the progress of a certain song. For instance, you will not find it impressive if a certain song that is meant to be sung in tritaal (16 beats) sung at say rupak taal.

Its important to know taala to appreciate any music, let alone classical. I love classical music and from the film world, the ones I love are.. madhuban me radhika naache re, Dekho bijli bole bin baadar ke, Tu hai mera prem devataa, Bole re papi haraa, Kaa karun sajani (not purely classical but still), and many many more.

All songs be it filmy or anything are always based on a raga or a mixture of them. For example, Kuch to log kahenge.. logon kaa kaam hai kahnaa is based on raag khamaj.

I have had the unique oppurtunity of seeing many many great stalwarts of classical music including (but not limited to), N. Ramani (carnatic flute), U. Srinivas (Carnatic mandolin), Kunnagudi Vidayanathan, Lalgudi G jayaraman (both carnatic violin), T. N sheshagopalan (carnatic vocal), Pundit Bhim sen joshi (hindustani classical), Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Hindustani flute) and many many more and was always mesmerised by them.
Should we know so much about music to apprieciate it.. I do like Indian Classical Music as much as i like to folk music or street music( the one they play for death) of India... the place Indian classic music fails is at this unwated jargons which is associated with it.
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
BlrBoy, to understand music is different from appreciating it.

I understand music and so find it a little more enjoyable but my daughter does not know the intricacies of it still enjoys it. Its a different style. When you say you enjoy street music/folk music you are essentially saying you love a certain "speed" or laya or guNa. But if the same song is played in lets say madhyam laya, you will not like it. So basically you enjoy music albiet you need its tempo to be high.. thats all..

Eventhough you might enjoy Nigahen milaane ko jee chahtaa hai based on raga yaman but not necessarily aansu bhari hain ye jeevan ki raahen which is set in the same ragaa just because its tempo is slower.

What I am trying to say is if you look at only one aspect (laya) of the music you will not enjoy it as much as if you look at all the 3 aspects of it.

Dunno how much sense it makes.
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
Originally posted by videsee
Ravibhai yaar gotta disagree with you on this. I don't know anything about RAGAS, TAAL or LAY. To an extent my love for classical music was because I used to watch my father listen to a Bhimsen Joshi or he would take me to meet Ustad Amjad Ali Khan. But that was it. The extent of my knowledge.

But when I want to relax, it is this music that really soothes me.

A question:
Do you think Indian classical music will die out?
Vidur pai.. its all about its basic knowledge. Its also known as "sense" of music. A person might not be able to name a ragaa or a taal but he can (subconsciously) count the beat (or meter it as they call it), singalong and vary the laya.. meaning you have the basics in place. That alone is the basis of your pleasure without which you cannot appreciate soothing music..

People who cannot enjoy music in the absense of a good music system are IMHO very unlucky because music's enjoyment does not come with a heavy bass/treble etc. Those effects only accentuates the pleasure and good music can be enjoyed even without those elaborate gizmos.

Indian classical music will NEVER die out. It is not a passing fad like pop/rock/jazz/blues/Rap etc.. its an immortal and will remain so in its own right.
Old August 5th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Pelu Pelu

My bad..

Raag bhairav is a early morning ragaa. I got mixed up with bhupali which is a sandhya kaaleen ragaa..