eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to delete cache and cookies from Internet Explorer?

I know how to do this manually by using the Tools-->Internet Options menu for Internet Explorer 7 and above.

However, I want a way to programmatically be able to delete the cache and cookies. Basically I would like to run a script to do this.

Does anyone know how to do it?
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to delete cache and cookies from Internet Explorer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I know how to do this manually by using the Tools-->Internet Options menu for Internet Explorer 7 and above.

However, I want a way to programmatically be able to delete the cache and cookies. Basically I would like to run a script to do this.

Does anyone know how to do it?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ith-javascript
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

you can look at this explanation here... link

too much code for me to understand.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Also, to check what all needs to be cleaned up, download ccleaner from ccleaner.com and run it once.. temp files from yahoo, mozilla and what not, the amount of crap not cleaned up by internet access programs.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
you can look at this explanation here... link

too much code for me to understand.
This was the best solution!! Thanks a lot!! you
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Also, to check what all needs to be cleaned up, download ccleaner from ccleaner.com and run it once.. temp files from yahoo, mozilla and what not, the amount of crap not cleaned up by internet access programs.
Thanks bhau, but I needed a scriptable way. Also cccleaner is a commercial product and not feasible because this clean up process is required just at the beginning of a testing session. The solution provided by shakti bhau's link is the best suited for my purposes. Thanks all who replied.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Codeproject has a few sample C++ functions to clean cache, cookies, history etc. They use Windows Cleanup API.
Link

But why do you use IE?

Last edited by Ravi; October 20th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:44 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
cccleaner is a commercial product and not feasible ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
But why do you use IE?
Exactly what I was pointing out..

EC, of course, I understand that you need a customised solution.. But many other programs leave footprints in the computer at the end of the session, and some of it may be malicious. Ccleaner can guide you about such things.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old October 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM
Banned

sprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
But why do you use IE?
he said testing session...probably they want to check stuff in IE as part of project requirements...
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Exactly what I was pointing out..

EC, of course, I understand that you need a customised solution.. But many other programs leave footprints in the computer at the end of the session, and some of it may be malicious. Ccleaner can guide you about such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite View Post
he said testing session...probably they want to check stuff in IE as part of project requirements...
Our product also has a management UI which is served up in FireFox and Internet Explorer. To ensure that it works in both browsers, our QA uses Selenium to run functional tests on the UI.So when you run these tests you can create a profile for Firefox and configure it such that all cache and cookies are deleted when browser instance closes. No such facility in IE. So with this scriptable solution, the test code checks that if the test is running in IE, then first run the script to delete and clear all cookies and cache and then proceed with the automated tests.

Thanks for all who helped. Ravi bhau, the windows system API calls is what I was going to explore next, but the scriptable solution of using RunDll32 did the trick. Best part is that you can run it from the command line or call it via Java code on the Windows command prompt.

Internet explorer has been a pain always, but then for our product we have to support IE and FireFox. Customer cannot be told that dont use IE. Infact the next headache will be supporting Google Chrome. Right now things work but for automated tests, Selenium does not have a launch configuration for Google Chrome, just for IE and FireFox as far as I have investigated. Anyway, now its upto QA to deal with it. Your suggestions and links helped me show them how to clear up cache and cookies. Now the ball is in their court.
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
The One and Only.

brahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud of

Look at the attached image, wont this work for you?

Quote:

Our product also has a management UI which is served up in FireFox and Internet Explorer. To ensure that it works in both browsers, our QA uses Selenium to run functional tests on the UI.So when you run these tests you can create a profile for Firefox and configure it such that all cache and cookies are deleted when browser instance closes. No such facility in IE. So with this scriptable solution, the test code checks that if the test is running in IE, then first run the script to delete and clear all cookies and cache and then proceed with the automated tests.

Thanks for all who helped. Ravi bhau, the windows system API calls is what I was going to explore next, but the scriptable solution of using RunDll32 did the trick. Best part is that you can run it from the command line or call it via Java code on the Windows command prompt.

Internet explorer has been a pain always, but then for our product we have to support IE and FireFox. Customer cannot be told that dont use IE. Infact the next headache will be supporting Google Chrome. Right now things work but for automated tests, Selenium does not have a launch configuration for Google Chrome, just for IE and FireFox as far as I have investigated. Anyway, now its upto QA to deal with it. Your suggestions and links helped me show them how to clear up cache and cookies. Now the ball is in their court.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ie.jpg (47.6 KB, 14 views)