eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Junior eCharchan

Dynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to watch internet streaming video on TV?

I have attached 500GB SATA to my NMT and can stream media from NMT to my iphone, laptop or from laptop or networked hard drive to NMT. Both ways.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowner View Post
Yes, I liked the ION330 too, but I am also comparing it to the PS3.

I can get the PS3 (thanks saneless!) 120GB HDD with Blue Ray and Wi-Fi capability for $299. I am not much of a gamer, so I am not even taking that into account. So what do you think is missing?
When God was creating the human race, he lined up all the males on one side and all the females opposite. Then he asked: Which of your species would like to urinate standing up? Well, the males went crazy, shouting that they wanted to pee standing up. 'Fine', says God, 'Women get multiple orgasms'.
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

XBMC is the way to go. It's also super cheap. Check out this article from Life Hacker.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

chacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
Yoy can also use my favourite device by eGreat USA named EA-M34A. I love this device. It can play anything from anywhere.

Google for the word E34A.
I just googled this model number and the first result that shows is this thread!!!
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

chacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond repute

A very detailed review of the ASRock ION 330.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/279..._hd/index.html

ASRock just announced (yesterday) that they are coming out with a newer model (330HT) which would have 7.1 DTS and an MCE remote (Link)
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
En route Lal Mirchi...

I checked out the Acer AspireRevo at Bestbuy last night and I'm not sure whether I was impressed or not. The formfactor is excellent - it can hideaway behind the TV or sit next to one of your components. I don't know if I'm a big fan of that weird stand that they have going there but all acer products come with that stand these days (monitors et al.).

This particular model comes with the Atom 230 which, mind you, is a single core processor and also 1GB of RAM as opposed to the ASRock which has a dual-core atom CPU with 2GBs of RAM. I have heard bad things about HD playback with single-core CPUs. The Acer also lacks an optical out, so you will have to buy an HDMI splitter or an USB sound card. If you have a fancy receiver, you would not care much about this. I have a Turtle Beach USB sound card that has an optical out that I'm planning to use if I buy the Acer. The Acer does not have a DVD drive either but comes equipped with a multicard reader. On the other hand, the ASRock does not come with any USB ports in the front - bad design! Edit: I just found out that the Acer does not have one either. It does have a SATA slot in the front though!!!

Having said all this, I'm not sure if ASRock is a clear winner either. First off, I have no idea about their customer service. I don't know if they even have a corp here in the US. Acer comes with 1yr labor/parts warranty. The workmanship clearly looks better in case of Acer.

I did stumble upon another Acer on Newegg, that I think is scheduled to come out soon. Check it out here. This uses a dual-core and comes with 2GBs of RAM, not to mention it is preloaded with Win 7 (love 7 so far). ASRock is barebones with no OS. The price point is pretty much the same as the ASRock though. Do you think a few days of waiting would be worth it? Thanksgiving maybe?

Neither of them have WIFI by the way; which ain't a bummer afterall. You can buy a USB Wireless Adapter for 20 bucks.

Last edited by chacha; November 1st, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
En route Lal Mirchi...

Quote:
Yes, I liked the ION330 too, but I am also comparing it to the PS3.

I can get the PS3 (thanks saneless!) 120GB HDD with Blue Ray and Wi-Fi capability for $299. I am not much of a gamer, so I am not even taking that into account. So what do you think is missing?
The internet surfing experience on a PS3 is very basic to say the least. I have both a PS3 and a 360, both of them have very bad streaming capabilities. I have tried several ways to stream stuff using the PS3 but to no avail. And you will need another dedicated PC running to stream stuff off of. There is only one utility right now which is kinda stable, called PlayOn, which can do Hulu, youtube, Netflix for you. It is basically a media server like TVersity. I have had very bad luck with it so far. Imagine, you want to watch a movie via Netflix on a Friday night with your wife. You add your favorite movie to your queue at work so that you can watch it later that night over a glass of wine. When you try to play it, it says 'this content cannot be played right now!' WTF! Bummer!

I have been trying to get a decent setup going for the past 2 years. And so far, my best bet has been the XBMC. It is one helluva package for dirt cheap. My classic XBOX with XBMC running on it was a dream come true! Then came 1080p and the poor chap cannot handle it anymore. The new XBMC can handle 1080p flawlessly, provided you have the requisite device to support it from the hardware side. As far as I can tell, the PC is the only thing that can come close to doing that.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
The internet surfing experience on a PS3 is very basic to say the least. I have both a PS3 and a 360, both of them have very bad streaming capabilities. I have tried several ways to stream stuff using the PS3 but to no avail. And you will need another dedicated PC running to stream stuff off of. There is only one utility right now which is kinda stable, called PlayOn, which can do Hulu, youtube, Netflix for you. It is basically a media server like TVersity. I have had very bad luck with it so far. Imagine, you want to watch a movie via Netflix on a Friday night with your wife. You add your favorite movie to your queue at work so that you can watch it later that night over a glass of wine. When you try to play it, it says 'this content cannot be played right now!' WTF! Bummer!

I have been trying to get a decent setup going for the past 2 years. And so far, my best bet has been the XBMC. It is one helluva package for dirt cheap. My classic XBOX with XBMC running on it was a dream come true! Then came 1080p and the poor chap cannot handle it anymore. The new XBMC can handle 1080p flawlessly, provided you have the requisite device to support it from the hardware side. As far as I can tell, the PC is the only thing that can come close to doing that.
Thats what I needed to know! I was getting confused why one would prefer ION330 over PS3 even though its more expensive, and has fewer functions. But now it makes sense.

Now coming to XBOX, the newer ones should be able to handle 1080p, so does that mean it wins over the ION330? Or do you see forward compatibility or any other issues with that?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats what I needed to know! I was getting confused why one would prefer ION330 over PS3 even though its more expensive, and has fewer functions. But now it makes sense.

Now coming to XBOX, the newer ones should be able to handle 1080p, so does that mean it wins over the ION330? Or do you see forward compatibility or any other issues with that?
XBox 1 has no HD capabilities. period. 360 on the other hand does but suffers from the fact that it plays back limited file formats natively. Same applies for PS3. However, both PS3 and 360 do some amazing HD rendering including upconversion of standard dvd and divx files. So, if you choose either 360 or PS3, you will have to have a PC to stream stuff to these devices. There are quite a few good media servers like PS3MediaServer, TVersity and Playon ($30) that stream online content as well ripped media files to these devices. Playon does a good job of streaming Hulu, netflix and some other online stuff. However, this certainly requires a dedicated PC.

Netflix has annonouced that it will stream directly to PS3 soon - http://www.betanews.com/article/PS3-...yet/1256581201

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, I bought PlayOn for $30 bucks and till date, I have managed to see 2 movies altogether. They send out hotfixes every night and the damn thing keeps complaining about one or the other thing all the time. The Netflix development on the PS3 is a positive sign but they have been talking about it for over 3 years now

Since all the devices mentioned on this thread have a bay for an extra HDD, can we open the cabinet and not void the warranty?