eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: laptop restore to factory settings setup

I have now used 3 different softwares to try this out. Havent completed the process of recovery but atleast have 3 images from 3 different softwares.

* GParted
Excellent interface. Quite intuitive even for a windows user despite being Linux based.
Does really create an image though - not in the sense of a compressed image. It creates an exact copy of the disk that I am trying to back up. Which means I need to have another disk or partition which is the exact same size as the source disk. Unless the size of target disk is exact, I think I will have problems with restore itself - the restore wont work because the size of disks will mismatch.

* Partimage
Again great piece of software. Not as user friendly as Gparted. Needs some linux knowledge. I was trying to backup my disk to a USB drive and because I wasnt famaliar with the concept of mounting drives, couldnt figure out why it said destination couldnt be found. I have now figured this all out and think that I can use it easily while restoring. however, god forbid, if my wife (who is not even in IT) had to do this, I am sure she couldnt do the first thing!

* Macrium Reflect
Excellent software. very easy to use graphical interface. Windows based! Free! Creates an image that can be stored on USB Drive. Creates a boot CD that doesnt need any mounting type commands... just boot from CD and choose restore option and chose the image to restore from USB drive that gets mounted automatically.

Am going to try ToDoBackup (windows based and free) now.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Re: laptop restore to factory settings setup

KKK, search for PCDecrapifieron the internet ... Once you install to factory default, you can get rid of the softwares that were installed by the manufacturer using this decrapifier ...