eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old August 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

HarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud ofHarHarMahaDev has much to be proud of
What is your favorite Pickle?

For me, I love Avakai! It is my all-time No 1 favorite pickle...especially love having it with "tomato pappu" - an andhra dish made of lentils. You eat it with rice.

A close second is Gongura pickle. Yum! Then of course, Maagai, tomato pickle, etc

I like Gujarati Chunda too. Also, a sweet mango pickle called 'ATHANNU' - this is a Saurashtra ka pickle.

Along with north-indian food, I like Pachranga achar - especially the pieces of BHEYN! ....

Last edited by HarHarMahaDev; August 7th, 2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: sdgf
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:23 PM
eCharchan

Binxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the rough
Re: What is your favorite Pickle?

Bedekar's Chilli and lime or chilli and mango or just chilli

Pancharanga, not sure what brand it was but came in a large tin, was good too.....
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Fav would have to be lime. Closely followed by mango.

Garlic, amla, ginger, tomato are equally good.
I have had only lime, mango & gongura though after coming to US.

Which also reminds me, I bought a pickle mix from desi store around a year ago. Maybe I should try making garlic pickle. I just hope its not a lengthy procedure.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of

I rarely eat pickles....only time I eat is....with Hot plain rice..with tadkawali Plain Daal topped with lots of Ghee. Any pickle is fine for me...but lime and green chilli pickle is more preferred...and I love those sweet sour pickles.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

pakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond repute

Any pickle, anytime with anything by Mother's recipe, Bedekar's and Khana Khazana brand by Sanjeev Kapoor.

Loud and Proud LLKC member since infinity and beyond

Loud but not so Proud IDLE
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakkidost
Any pickle, anytime with anything by Mother's recipe, Bedekar's and Khana Khazana brand by Sanjeev Kapoor.
i was planning on having a late lunch....now thoughts of all the pickles have my mouth watering already....

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old August 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Mango. Chilli. Amla. Then there is special mango pickle called takku (don't know whether this is maharashtrian only recipe or not)
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
Then there is special mango pickle called takku (don't know whether this is maharashtrian only recipe or not)
Did you mean thokku ?
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev
For me, I love Avakai! It is my all-time No 1 favorite pickle...especially love having it with "tomato pappu" - an andhra dish made of lentils. You eat it with rice.

A close second is Gongura pickle. Yum! Then of course, Maagai, tomato pickle, etc

I like Gujarati Chunda too. Also, a sweet mango pickle called 'ATHANNU' - this is a Saurashtra ka pickle.

Along with north-indian food, I like Pachranga achar - especially the pieces of BHEYN! ....
Athannu is generic term for any pickle in Gujarat

Athannu does not have sugar syrup..but usually oil as a primary preservative ingredient. Mango athannu usually have ground (but not powdered) or whole fenugreek along with pepper powder and oil
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

Now, I am pumped up to make garlic pickle. Going to buy 2-3 pounds of whole garlic today evening. I don't know the requirements yet, but hope that suffices.

I wonder how many days it will take before its actually ready to be eaten.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
Now, I am pumped up to make garlic pickle. Going to buy 2-3 pounds of whole garlic today evening. I don't know the requirements yet, but hope that suffices.

I wonder how many days it will take before its actually ready to be eaten.
Along with the 2-3 pounds of garlic, make sure you buy 6-7 cases of tic tacs or altoids as well.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger
Along with the 2-3 pounds of garlic, make sure you buy 6-7 cases of tic tacs or altoids as well.
For putting in pickle ?

Please provide the recipe for it; although I don't promise to make it. (coz.)
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the lime pickle before... nowadays I've taken a liking to mirchi pickle. Tastes damn well with "khichadi" or "sadha varan bhaat ani tup" (plain boiled dal and rice with ghee) lovely taste!
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Mango Pickle is my favourite. My grandmother used to make it really good. It did not have a orange color to it, but more of a dark yellow color.

In branded ones, I used to like Bedekar but prefer the Ke.Pra. brand a lot. Since coming to USA, I have found 777 brand and Priya pickles to be good.

I also like the 777 brand Tomato Pickle. Gongura is also fine and I do have it sometimes.
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is your favorite Pickle?

Not a frequent pickle eater. Prefer Lime followed by Mango. Used to enjoy Gongura when in Bangalore.