eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old September 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Achari Chicken

Last year, I had had Achari chicken in an indian restaurant, which I liked a lot. I was thinking of buying Shaan's Achari gosht masala for long, but never bought it. This saturday I searched for recipe and found quite an easy recipe forr Achari chicken.

So, i attempted it and was quite pleased with the result. Obviously, I didn't follow the quantity of the ingredients in the strictest sense, and put a little chili powder to give extra bite. Dry roasted spices gave a nice aroma and onion sautéed in that spice also tasted yumm. I didn't have kalaunji so I put compensated that with other ingredients.

Don't add extra chili powder if you don't want it to be very spicy. It is a nice dish and easy to prepare. I am not very fond of lamb or chevon but I believe it is originally a lamb/chevon preparation.

Linkwa
Ingredients:
  • Mutton/Chicken-1lb
  • Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
  • Onions-1big chopped
  • Tomato-2chopped
  • Long green chillis-4-5
  • Curd-1/2cup
  • Lime juice-2tsp
  • Turmeric-1/4tsp
  • Fenugreek seeds, Cumin seeds--1/4tsp each
  • Mustard seeds, Fennel (saunf), Kalonji-1/2tsp each
  • Dry red chillis-10-15 (depends up spice level)
  • Mustard oil/any oil-4tbsp
  • Salt to taste

Method:
  • Dry roast fenugreek seeds, saunf, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, kalonji & mustard seeds & coarsely grind them.
  • Heat oil in a pan & fry onions till transcluent, then add long green chillis & half of the spice mix sauté for 1mt & keep aside.
  • Add little more oil in the same pan, heat & add ginger garlic paste, meat & turmeric & sauté for 1mt.Then add curd, tomato, salt, little water & the remaining spice mix, cover & cook till the meat is almost tender.
  • Now add the onion mixture, mix well & cook on medium flame for about 4-5mts.Stir in limejuice & garnish with cilantro leaves.

Old September 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Banned

carnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond reputecarnivore has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Achari Chicken

You eat nonveg.......we are pleased........mightily
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Chitrala, I am about to try it out. But are you sure we have to use 5 green chilies and 15 red chilies for just 1 lb chicken? Isnt that a bit too much? Sure its not for 1 kg?
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Chitrala, I am about to try it out. But are you sure we have to use 5 green chilies and 15 red chilies for just 1 lb chicken? Isnt that a bit too much? Sure its not for 1 kg?
I cooked almost a kilo of chicken and I put 4 serrano peepers and 8 red chilies and I still didnt find it hot enough, so I added a spoon of red chili powder later. Remember, there is no garam masala or any other chicken masala and other masala to make it spicier, and it is cooked in curd so you might need to spice it up. I'd say, taste after sautéing onions. It'd give you an idea.
Good luck with it. It tastes a little different than usual chicken preps.

Old September 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
I cooked almost a kilo of chicken and I put 4 serrano peepers and 8 red chilies and I still didnt find it hot enough, so I added a spoon of red chili powder later. Remember, there is no garam masala or any other chicken masala and other masala to make it spicier, and it is cooked in curd so you might need to spice it up. I'd say, taste after sautéing onions. It'd give you an idea.
Good luck with it. It tastes a little different than usual chicken preps.
OK...should I dry roast the red chilies as well then? You didnt say when to add red chilies.
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:
OK...should I dry roast the red chilies as well then? You didnt say when to add red chilies.
No, I put some red chilies with serrano before sautéing onions and some with ginger/garlic before frying chicken.

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
No, I put some red chilies with serrano before sautéing onions and some with ginger/garlic before frying chicken.
Thanks Chitrala; I just made it. Repped you (ok, tried, but it says i need to spread rep points first). It came out very nice. Perhaps I added a touch more of water but the taste is really good. Here is the picture.

Variations I made: I used 1 green chili, 7 red chilies and 1 tsp of red chili powder. Rest all, I followed the instructions.

I also made some fruit platter for dessert; well just had 2 verities at home, it will just have to do.

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Chitrala; I just made it. Repped you (ok, tried, but it says i need to spread rep points first). It came out very nice. Perhaps I added a touch more of water but the taste is really good. Here is the picture.

Variations I made: I used 1 green chili, 7 red chilies and 1 tsp of red chili powder. Rest all, I followed the instructions.

I also made some fruit platter for dessert; well just had 2 verities at home, it will just have to do.
Aaing

He posted the recipe 2hours ago and you specially went home to make the dish

Quick service

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Aaing

He posted the recipe 2hours ago and you specially went home to make the dish .

Quick service

Bank Holiday today, so am at home. The timing was perfect. I cleaned up the chicken and was about to make it Chettinad style but then seen this recipe posted. So I thought let me try this out .
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:

Wow... This looks good.... I think curd releases water... mine also became a little watery, had to evaporate some. Glad you liked it... I think fennel seeds give it a little different taste.

Did you grind the spices very fine, because I kept it really coarse and they showed up in gravy?

Last edited by chitrala; September 14th, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Wow... yours look better than mine.... I think curd releases water... mine also became a little watery, had to evaporate some. Glad you liked it... I think fennel seeds give it a little different taste.

Did you grind the spices very fine, because I kept it really coarse and they showed up in gravy?
Yes, I did grind the spices real fine. Previously when I was trying another recipe, I coarsely done the spices and i didnt like the look of it. So this time I did them fine .
I am going to serve this for dinner with roti and rice. Thanks again!
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:
Yes, I did grind the spices real fine. Previously when I was trying another recipe, I coarsely done the spices and i didnt like the look of it. So this time I did them fine .
I am going to serve this for dinner with roti and rice. Thanks again!
No problemo, Bon Appetit!

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you supposed to add curd at the last minute when its all cooked and the curd just adds thickness to the gravy?
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Aren't you supposed to add curd at the last minute when its all cooked and the curd just adds thickness to the gravy?
mi have same question.
also don't need to marinate ?

Old September 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Clown Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
mi have same question.
also don't need to marinate ?

Don't know yaar... I think it is supposed to be cooked in dahi. It gets cooked very fast. I loved even the onions fried in the masala.

Sunny, I didn't marinate it. Try it, you might like it...it has a verydifferent taste from other chicken dishes as the spices are dry roasted and there is no garam masala or chicken masala in it.