eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Relationships

Notices

Relationships Discuss your feelings on relationships, intimacy and everything related...

Old February 8th, 2017, 01:19 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuitions from a junior - what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Compared to Swift, it's ancient
comparison me everything is ancient.. including you and me. I'm meeting kids at work who have never seen a mouse with tracker ball. That's how ancient we are.
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute

You will call me crazy, but I will let you know what is happening, and why.

When I was young, (between 4 and 10 years of age), my father and maternal grandfather would tell me stories at night. These were your regular stories of princes and princesses and of Ramayana and Mahabharata, etc. But sometimes these were stories of real people like Rabindranath Tagore and Ishwar Chandra Vidyaasagar. Education and learning was a big thing in my house, and some were stories of scholars on the 19th century. Invariably, these scholars were learned in the classic languages (Latin, ancient Greek, Sanskrit, Pali, Arabic, Chinese and Egyptian). Somehow or the other, an idea was formed in my mind that I had to learn these languages, or else I am not "enough".

Now these learned men were mostly either zamindars or had a regular pension and did not have to earn for a living. It was a different world where science and maths and engineering and economics and finance did not exist. Today I have to earn my living. I spent my education years in learning hard stuff to earn a living. Knowing all this, the feeling that if I do not know classics means I am not "enough" is a feeling I have been unable to shake. Every time I look into the mirror, I feel a hollow in me - something is missing - something that has to be filled. I know this is silly, but it is there.

That is why I have decided to learn the classic languages. For most of them, there is hardly anyone left who can teach me. Latin and Greek were stopped about 40 years ago. Sanskrit, thanks to Modi is facing a revival. Pali is taught in Mumbai Univ, but they have only one teacher. All the Dalit Navabudhists talk of Buddha and how he taught in Pali - but all they want is reservation - they do not know Pali.

But then there is internet with google, you tube and skype and there is amazon and kindle. A lot of resources are available. Skype tutors are also available, but they charge about 50 pounds an hour - that is 5000 Rs - I cannot afford that.

But I am trying - seriously trying. It will take years. Maybe I will never learn all of them. But I am trudging along. I started this "project" about 3 years ago, and have reached a particular (though low) level. Let us see where it goes. Unfortunately I have to earn a living, so I cannot devote 100% to it, like the ancient scholars. But it is OK I say. Maybe I will never reach their heights. Also I have a lifetime.

That is the story. I know it is silly, but it is true.
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

That is nice of your father and grand father to tell you such good stories to the point in inspiring you into something amazing
Old February 9th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shringarey View Post

When I was young, (between 4 and 10 years of age), my father and maternal grandfather would tell me stories at night. These were your regular stories of princes and princesses and of Ramayana and Mahabharata, etc. But sometimes these were stories of real people like Rabindranath Tagore and Ishwar Chandra Vidyaasagar. Education and learning was a big thing in my house, and some were stories of scholars on the 19th century. Invariably, these scholars were learned in the classic languages (Latin, ancient Greek, Sanskrit, Pali, Arabic, Chinese and Egyptian). Somehow or the other, an idea was formed in my mind that I had to learn these languages, or else I am not "enough".

Now these learned men were mostly either zamindars or had a regular pension and did not have to earn for a living. It was a different world where science and maths and engineering and economics and finance did not exist. Today I have to earn my living. I spent my education years in learning hard stuff to earn a living. Knowing all this, the feeling that if I do not know classics means I am not "enough" is a feeling I have been unable to shake. Every time I look into the mirror, I feel a hollow in me - something is missing - something that has to be filled. I know this is silly, but it is there.

That is why I have decided to learn the classic languages. For most of them, there is hardly anyone left who can teach me. Latin and Greek were stopped about 40 years ago. Sanskrit, thanks to Modi is facing a revival. Pali is taught in Mumbai Univ, but they have only one teacher. All the Dalit Navabudhists talk of Buddha and how he taught in Pali - but all they want is reservation - they do not know Pali.

But then there is internet with google, you tube and skype and there is amazon and kindle. A lot of resources are available. Skype tutors are also available, but they charge about 50 pounds an hour - that is 5000 Rs - I cannot afford that.

But I am trying - seriously trying. It will take years. Maybe I will never learn all of them. But I am trudging along. I started this "project" about 3 years ago, and have reached a particular (though low) level. Let us see where it goes. Unfortunately I have to earn a living, so I cannot devote 100% to it, like the ancient scholars. But it is OK I say. Maybe I will never reach their heights. Also I have a lifetime.

Nothing wrong and good goals. But knowledge is to be learnt from whichever source you can get. As long as there is good knowledge being transferred the age of the tutor should not matter.
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:38 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

bhaiya.. life is boring and full of routine, daily activities. Better to learn something new and follow your passion at least as a hobby.

I purchased a tumbi during my recent trip to India, and have begun strumming it with some help from youtube videos. Some day I hope to have a real tutor.

For those that don't know what tumbi is .. copy paste from wiki

Quote:
The tumbi or toombi (pronunciation: tūmbī) is a traditional North Indian musical instrument from Punjab. The high pitched, single string plucking instrument is associated with folk music of Punjab and presently very popular in Bhangra music
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

For a min I thought you bought a man.
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute

You know Narsimha Rao, our ex PM knew 19 languages? Where did he get the time to learn them? Obviously he had learnt them a long time before he became PM. However, even then - he always had a high pressure job - so how did he manage it? Some people have the ability to seek an hour each day of self study, immaterial of the outside forces. That requires self discipline. I wish I had it
Old February 11th, 2017, 07:08 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You know Narsimha Rao, our ex PM knew 19 languages? Where did he get the time to learn them? Obviously he had learnt them a long time before he became PM. However, even then - he always had a high pressure job - so how did he manage it? Some people have the ability to seek an hour each day of self study, immaterial of the outside forces. That requires self discipline. I wish I had it
You can always transfer the pressure to others.
In his initial days as PM, the talk was that he would do nothing for a problem and it would solve itself.
Like he entrusted Punjab to Beant Singh and KPS Gill and they finished 11 years of terror in 2 years.

Also, he may be staying close to CIEFL for a long time and used the facility.