eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old October 11th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BPO industry faces backlash of Mira road call centre scam

But what I fail to understand that USA having the best of best intelligence agencies (CIA FBI etc) in the world were unaware of this scam and the Maharashtra Police had to inform the world ?
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
But what I fail to understand that USA having the best of best intelligence agencies (CIA FBI etc) in the world were unaware of this scam and the Maharashtra Police had to inform the world ?
There is a FBI group specifically assigned to investigate this... but no idea what their progress was... or is.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
There is a FBI group specifically assigned to investigate this... but no idea what their progress was... or is.
Before this came to light in India ?
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you suppose Scam of such proportion can be run anywhere in India without the blessings of the cops? I am sure massive amount of money has exchanged hands at really high levels for this to run successfully...

FBI does not have any jurisdictional authority in India.. I am sure they must have alerted the local agencies and these folks used to get notice and close shop to open it elsewhere..

I am sure this has come to light only after a massive political pressure and some serious sleuth work...
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
Do you suppose Scam of such proportion can be run anywhere in India without the blessings of the cops? I am sure massive amount of money has exchanged hands at really high levels for this to run successfully...

FBI does not have any jurisdictional authority in India.. I am sure they must have alerted the local agencies and these folks used to get notice and close shop to open it elsewhere..

I am sure this has come to light only after a massive political pressure and some serious sleuth work...
Agree they dont have authority in India but they could have done something to stop those spoofed 911 calls and avoid panic caused to the victims.And FBI is baap and can implement any of their orders in the world leave Russia and Israel.
I think not many people in USA reported these calls to the authorities and thats the reason things were not taken seriously.
Also calls on IP cant be monitored so maybe these calls terminating n the USA were not monitored.
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:09 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall if it was posted on echarcha, but this clip has become famous off late. It's got half a million views.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I don't recall if it was posted on echarcha, but this clip has become famous off late. It's got half a million views.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Those Playa's are wicked!
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree they dont have authority in India but they could have done something to stop those spoofed 911 calls and avoid panic caused to the victims.And FBI is baap and can implement any of their orders in the world leave Russia and Israel.
I think not many people in USA reported these calls to the authorities and thats the reason things were not taken seriously.
Also calls on IP cant be monitored so maybe these calls terminating n the USA were not monitored.

have you seen who is sunning for presidency? It can get really corrupt up top!
I doubt if any of the calls are getting reported. Especially, if a citizen has not filed taxes a while ago and now he is simply trying to cover his/her tracks. they must have felt that there is no need to report this to police. Regardless of what they are thinking, these people have really good American accents. Its hard to detect that they are fake. So citizens truly believed they are paying to IRS
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Before this came to light in India ?
About 5 - 6 years back... when I had got a similar call. IRS told me to call a specific number and report the issue. But I took the easy way out and started making fun of subsequent such calls.

Another scan that is run is from the Microsoft Technical Group... calling and saying your computer has a virus on it. The first time I got that, I started chatting. Mentioned that Bill Gates is a langotiya yaar and he personally ensures that my computer is free of viruses.

Later learnt that a colleague got scammed by this one... gave his credit card and a fee of $100 or something. Eventually had to format his computer, cancel all his cards and get his bank to fight the issue.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At this point I would want to know how are they getting whatever information about us? I think .. my hunch.. is that these buggers get info from call center employees, must have paid a decent amount and leaked data via USBs or something.
Not too hard. They just skim the white pages and target individuals with Indian names. Also any google search of full name gives some info like age and address. After that they are just winging it and whatever ticks they go with it.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:31 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Not too hard. They just skim the white pages and target individuals with Indian names. Also any google search of full name gives some info like age and address. After that they are just winging it and whatever ticks they go with it.
Well then it is open game for anybody.

I've heard of other such scams.. elderly americans (in their 70s; unaware of technology, latest scams) get calls about teenager grandchild caught buying drugs in a different town.. if you send a thousand bucks in an hour we can prevent his name going to the police records and forever screwing his future. A colleague got a call from his elderly father saying whats my grandson doing in Florida buying drugs, why can't you teach him any better. He goes what the hell are you talking about.. He's here with me, I just dropped him to high school.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; October 12th, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old October 12th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well then it is open game for anybody.

I've heard of other such scams.. elderly americans (in their 70s; unaware of technology, latest scams) get calls about teenager grandchild caught buying drugs in a different town.. if you send a thousand bucks in an hour we can prevent his name going to the police records and forever screwing his future. A colleague got a call from his elderly father saying whats my grandson doing in Florida buying drugs, why can't you teach him any better. He goes what the hell are you talking about.. He's here with me, I just dropped him to high school.
Haven't you heard about credit card scams?
How do they get all info of card holder and buy stuff.

With technology, All info is available these days.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
Super eCharchan

Illegal call centre scam: Sagar earned Rs 1,000 crore per year

AHMEDABAD: In contrast to Thane police claim that the call centre racket was worth Rs 500 crore, police sources told Mirror they now suspect it to be worth at least Rs 1,000 crore in Ahmedabad alone. The local police have also found out that Sagar Thakkar, the Ahmedabad kingpin of the racket, owned about 70 call centres in the city to place calls to Americans and threaten them in the name of Internal Revenue Service of the US to dupe them of millions of dollars.

Police further said Sagar had grown ambitious and set up call centres in other cities of Gujarat like Vadodara and Mehsana. The average monthly turnover of each call centre was about Rs 2 crore. Once Thane police got the hint of the scam and raided call centres in Mumbai, Sagar shut 55 of the 70 centres in Ahmedabad. Two teams from Thane police are currently looking into the shut call centres.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54977986.cms
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/busin...-arrested.html
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:20 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mumbai Crime branch also claimed to be second only to Scotland Yard.