eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Strengthening immunity

I have noticed that my immunity has weakened a lot over last few years. One of obvious indicators is the fact that whenever I go to India , I fall sick. I get horrific dust allergy if I go in summer and get horrible cold when I go in winter.

Even here in USA , if I expose myself to a bit of cold , I start sneezing. I don't think it happens to everybody in USA. I think main reason of this happening to me is that I have my room heater and AC set on auto.

When temperature goes down heater starts and when it goes up , AC starts.

So my body has adjusted itself to very narrow range of temperature. Lately I have put off both heater and AC and am trying to expose my body to wider changes in temperature.

I don't protect myself completely from heat/cold while stepping out in an effort to strengthen immunity.

Is that the right way to go about it? I don't want to overdo it though since it can adversely impact my health.

Any suggestions/experiences?
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strengthening immunity

My understanding is that immunity does fall to an extent as we age. However, its not because of weather related elements. You catch cold when you get in contact with cold virus. if you have been living in a relatively dust free environment for a while, your body forgets how to combat dust, Just like going on tras fat food for extended periods of time makes the body forget how to process fat after a while.

Dress according to the weather when going out. Thats pretty much it.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:20 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Falling sick in India means you have really become a true blue NRI

Stay in India for a long time, fall ill for a while and your immunity will return.

Or you could get a bottle of tap water from Apna Desh next time you go, and keep having a half of it every day and refill it (hopefully all the micro organisms will replenish by the next day. )

I had an interesting story 3 years back when i fell ill as soon as i landed in US after spending a month in India and having pani puris etc. there from the street.

For your sneezing, try checking with an allergy expert.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:38 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

My funda is.. the longer the time between India visits the more likely you will fall sick when you visit. This India visit in October I had a torrid time for a couple days with high fever and a case of Delhi belly in Gurgaon.

I have a few friends in Toronto Canada who walk 3-4 miles everyday, avoid the car as much as they can, keep the windows open in summers and use fans but hardly any AC. Taking a cue I have been doing the same last few years.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

I had an interesting story 3 years back when i fell ill as soon as i landed in US after spending a month in India and having pani puris etc. there from the street.
please share your theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post

I have a few friends in Toronto Canada who walk 3-4 miles everyday, avoid the car as much as they can, keep the windows open in summers and use fans but hardly any AC. Taking a cue I have been doing the same last few years.
I dont get it, are try trying to stay fit by walking?
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I have noticed that my immunity has weakened a lot over last few years. One of obvious indicators is the fact that whenever I go to India , I fall sick. I get horrific dust allergy if I go in summer and get horrible cold when I go in winter.

Even here in USA , if I expose myself to a bit of cold , I start sneezing. I don't think it happens to everybody in USA. I think main reason of this happening to me is that I have my room heater and AC set on auto.

When temperature goes down heater starts and when it goes up , AC starts.

So my body has adjusted itself to very narrow range of temperature. Lately I have put off both heater and AC and am trying to expose my body to wider changes in temperature.

I don't protect myself completely from heat/cold while stepping out in an effort to strengthen immunity.

Is that the right way to go about it? I don't want to overdo it though since it can adversely impact my health.

Any suggestions/experiences?
Get your ducts cleaned. It's quite likely that you have mold in the air ducts, which is triggering the allergies. They say you should get it cleaned every other year. When was the last time you had it cleaned?

Old March 25th, 2015, 07:53 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I dont get it, are try trying to stay fit by walking?
expose yourself to the real world, walking helps stay fit as well, enjoy nature/city roads , in the summer you will sweat in the house rather than putting on a light sweater .. not be a pansy in the north american AC/heater world .. weather is something you can't control so no point crying over it.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
expose yourself to the real world, walking helps stay fit as well, enjoy nature/city roads , in the summer you will sweat in the house rather than putting on a light sweater .. not be a pansy in the north american AC/heater world .. weather is something you can't control so no point crying over it.
did that improve their immune system? I didnt get the context, though I agree with everything you said.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
did that improve their immune system? I didnt get the context, though I agree with everything you said.
I think immunity and general well being (health) are all linked. Eat fruits, veggies, juices (not bottled ones), reduce intake of coffee, tea, NO pop at all. And all that I said .. in fact I wish I could live an amish life in the country.. not the sedentary stare at a screen all day job.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Get your ducts cleaned. It's quite likely that you have mold in the air ducts, which is triggering the allergies. They say you should get it cleaned every other year. When was the last time you had it cleaned?
I do not get allergy by staying in house. I get it when I get out on road in India.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
My funda is.. the longer the time between India visits the more likely you will fall sick when you visit. This India visit in October I had a torrid time for a couple days with high fever and a case of Delhi belly in Gurgaon.
That is what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika
Dress according to the weather when going out. Thats pretty much it.
That will take care of heat and cold. How about dust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqars
For your sneezing, try checking with an allergy expert.
I am pretty sure , my sneezing is not because of allergy. It is because of exposure to cold. Or do you mean sneezing is always because of allergies?

Last edited by Napolean; March 25th, 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Well, we use Reactine for dust allergies. That works for us.
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Allergies are a tough one... but for general immunity for cold and/or flu, I can suggest a couple of things. These worked for me... maybe they will work for you. About 6 or 7 years back, I stopped drinking orange juice. Instead, I switched to an orange a day... sometimes more. Also about the same time I fine-tuned my bathroom visits. Just 2 visits a day for the heavy-duty stuff. Before was whenever nature called. And a lot of water everyday.

See if this works for you. I haven't had a cold/flu (bad one) in the last 3 - 4 years. Just an occasional runny nose that I do not worry much about. Allergies were pretty bad a few years back but now pretty much under control... a tablet here and there when I know I will be out the whole day or cutting grass (only in Apr/May).

I am really thinking of doing a research on orange juice. Used to have 1 glass every day for almost 8 - 10 years... and inevitably had a bad flu at least once a year. Wonder if they are related

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I am really thinking of doing a research on orange juice. Used to have 1 glass every day for almost 8 - 10 years... and inevitably had a bad flu at least once a year. Wonder if they are related
Does the juice break down in a different way compared to the actual fruit when consumed? I wonder why the difference.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:34 AM

I had lots of itchi-nose and sneezing when I lived in the desert .. the good old desi neti pot (jalaneti) helped a lot. Difficult to find in India but famously available in any medical store in the US.

If you haven't heard of it.. here's how it works. More power to the old desi ayurvedic techniques.. wondering if its on the radar of muslim clerics to issue a ban upon.