eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

View Poll Results: Will India be added to INS registration
Yes 4 36.36%
No 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 16th, 2003, 10:03 AM
xXx

desin01 is on a distinguished road
Now INS registration for Bangladesh also...soon it might be our turn

Echarchans, now that the registration program is expanding, I wonder when we, Indians will also be added to the list. It is just a matter of time... i think
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
I just got this in email from my advisor...

In a notice that will be published tomorrow in the Federal Register,nationals or citizens of
Bangalesh,
Egypt,
Indonesia,
Jordan and
Kuwait
are required to appear for NSEERS registration between 2/24/03 and 3/28/03.
As with previous announcements, the registration requirement is limited to males aged 16 and over, who entered the US on or before 9/30/02 in a nonimmigrant status and who will remain in the US after 3/28/03.

AND THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!

Male students from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia need to physically report to INS on or before February 21, 2003.

It applies to certain nonimmigrant aliens from one of the countries designated who were last admitted to the United States on or before September 30, 2002, and who will remain in the United States after February 21, 2003.

This special registration requirement is called NSEERS - (National Security Entry-Exit Registration System)

NSEERS REGISTRATION PROGRAM EXPANDED
On November 15, the INS began to expand the NSEERS to include not only persons arriving in the US who are nationals or citizens of certain countries, but alsothose already here who entered as nonimmigrants. So-called "call in registration" applies ONLY TO those who:
* are nonimmigrants, other than A (diplomats and their
dependents) or G (representatives of international organizations and their dependents),

* are admitted by a certain date,

* are males sixteen years of age or older,

* are citizens or nationals of specific countries,

* have not applied for or been granted asylum by a certain date,

* and who plan to remain in the U.S. on or after a given date.

Call-in registrants must appear at an INS District office with their immigration documents before the deadline date, be fingerprinted,photographed, and give certain information to an INS officer under oath.
Thereafter, they must report to the INS each change of address, as well as report in person on an annual basis. Upon leaving the U.S. they must leave through designated ports of entry. Currently the call-in
registration system applies to the following three groups:

* Nationals or citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, and Syria who arrived in the US on or before November 6th and who planned to remain in the U.S. at least until December 16th, 2002 should have registered on or before that date unless they applied for asylum on or before November 6th.

* Nationals or citizens of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain,Eritrea, Lebanon, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Tunisia,UAE, and Yemen who were admitted on or before September 30th, 2002, did
not apply for asylum by November 22nd, and plan to remain in the U.S. until January 10th, 2003, must register no later than that date.

* Nationals or citizens of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan who entered the US on or before September 30, 2002, did not apply for asylum by December 18th, and who will remain in the US until at least February 2nd, 2003 must report for registration no later than the February 21.

Please note that NSEERS registration does not apply to persons admitted to the US in advance parole status, permanent residents, or US citizens,including those who hold dual nationality with one of the previously
mentioned countries. NSEERS also applies to persons admitted as nonimmigrants who have since fallen out of status. Given the severe penalties for willful failure to report under NSEERS, that is, possible
potential criminal penalties as well as deportation and/or future refusal of admission to the United States, persons who are out of status in the United States face a great dilemma in deciding whether to report. Such persons should consult a qualified immigration attorney before attending an NSEERS interview.

Last edited by YedaAnna; January 16th, 2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Perhaps not all Indians but they might just apply it to Indian muslims. It's not too unlikely.

Today there was another item about having the Visa Expiration Date printed on the driver's licences of the immigrants. The bill hasn't been passed yet.
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G

Today there was another item about having the Visa Expiration Date printed on the driver's licences of the immigrants. The bill hasn't been passed yet.
This I support.

Biggie.. indian muslims ko nahi include karenge.. they have only one argument to counter "anti muslim" charge namely.

We are not asking Muslims from "everywhere" to register.. only from "certain" countries which are known to sympathise with terrorist groups.

I think muslims from anywhere other than India should be required to register. Sab saale tede dimag ke hain.. be in indonesia, middle east, bongs or pukis.. sab ke gaand me ravan keedaa ka nivaas hai.
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:34 AM
eCharchan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
I agree with Pelu.. Mujhe nahin lagta Indian muslims ke liye alag se koi aisa notice aayega... Aur aana bhee nahin chahiye..
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:49 AM
eCharchan

desinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these parts
I doubt that India wil be put on the list of countries that need to register but if they do they will not specifically ask only for one religon. Many Indonesians in America are really of Chinese origin and not Muslims same with Egyptians as many are Coptic Christians who have gotten no exemption. Registration is a good thing for America to keep track who is running around here.
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Vettaikaran

Parashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
This I support.

I think muslims from anywhere other than India should be required to register. Sab saale tede dimag ke hain.. be in indonesia, middle east, bongs or pukis.. sab ke gaand me ravan keedaa ka nivaas hai.
Hmmmm ..........Bangaldeshis and Pakis are now gonna make a beeline for Indian Passports .....Those with money that is ....
Once my processor is rented cycles in Korea, my RAM is in orbit, and my storage media is distributed in 10K chunks all over the former Soviet Union, and there is no noticable performance hit. Then I'll have enough bandwidth.

http://www.vinod.us

http://www.storagedimensions.us
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by desinetcharge
I doubt that India wil be put on the list of countries that need to register but if they do they will not specifically ask only for one religon. Many Indonesians in America are really of Chinese origin and not Muslims same with Egyptians as many are Coptic Christians who have gotten no exemption. Registration is a good thing for America to keep track who is running around here.
The way that the countries are being lined up i Think India will be on that list too. I think INS wants to get hold of all non-immigrants to make up a database. I mean there are so many that are not doucmented. This will bother everybody initially but once a list or Database of Good immigrants is with INS and it is centralized , it will be easier to trap the bad ones. I guess..
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rana
The way that the countries are being lined up i Think India will be on that list too. I think INS wants to get hold of all non-immigrants to make up a database. I mean there are so many that are not doucmented. This will bother everybody initially but once a list or Database of Good immigrants is with INS and it is centralized , it will be easier to trap the bad ones. I guess..

Sort of like putting every law abiding citizen in jail and that way its easier to catch criminals cos they are the only ones left out?
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Till date

we have not had any major incident where an Indian Muslim was involved. This is because Muslims in India are not like the a-holes from Pukistan or other places who chant Osama Osama every day.

Yes, we have fringe elements but these do not constitue a terrorist threat to the USA. All the Indian Muslims I have come across in USA are total desis All have come here to have a good life, make more money, save at Costco, look for bargains at K-Mart, look for deals at Circuit City , peddle Amway to unsuspecting newcomer desis , go to Niagara Falls ... the usual desi things. I would not consider Indian Muslims as a separate group but would consider them "desis"

I would be really surprised if they said Indian Muslims must register. I have not seen a single Muslim from India sympathise with any terrorists or terrorism by some states, except offcourse the one and only... ahem.. you know who.. out here .. loves Arafat...
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

India will be added to the list, but only for Muslims
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
I think all the countries must be added to the list. I will not mind giving my finger print and photos. We do it anyway when we apply for green card.
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by BlrBoy
I think all the countries must be added to the list. I will not mind giving my finger print and photos. We do it anyway when we apply for green card.
I agree. But wouldn't it mean a huge expenditure for the US govt. Also the other countries would like to reciprocate in kind and I don't think US will be too happy if their own citizens are asked to register in other countries. Because when you say other countries, it includes EU countries, Canada, Australia, Mexico and South America. Bully Boy is not going to like it at all.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:25 PM
eCharchan

desinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these parts
look like we are getting close

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...artid=35280991

Just because were Indians does'nt make us safe from the growing paranoia in the US.

FBI bugged by Indian network in US
CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ THURSDAY, JANUARY 23, 2003 11:55:18 PM ]

WASHINGTON: If you are an ethnic minority in the US taking part in the American political process but at the same time consorting with your country of origin, beware - Uncle Sam is watching you and doesn't like it one bit.

That's what Indian-American political activist Sunil Aghi is learning after a six-month long wrangle with the Justice Department and the FBI, who want to know why he is lobbying so hard for Indian causes and if he is on the Indian government's payroll.

Aghi, who is a US citizen and a prominent Democratic activist in California, has written angry letters to Attorney General John Ashcroft and President Bush accusing the Republican Administration of using the war on terrorism to ethnically profile political opponents and stifle minority participation in the political process.

The whole affair began in June last year when two FBI agents visited Aghi at his office in Orange County and asked if he knew a certain consular officer at the Indian consulate in San Francisco, who they suspected of being an Indian intelligence officer.

Aghi told them that he had met the officer in course of his efforts to promote Indian-American relations and had no way of ascertaining whether he was an intelligence officer.

The feisty Democrat, who founded the Indian-American Political Forum and counts several US lawmakers among friends for whom he has raised money, then shot off a blistering letter to Attorney General John Ashcroft accusing the administration of using McCarthyism tactics to stifle opponents.

The result was an amicable but unapologetic letter from the FBI, in which the Bureau blamed the "unfortunate events of 9/11, coupled with political tensions in the world (that) has created cause for FBI to exercise thorough vigilance in investigating the contact and communications of known and suspected intelligence officers operating within the US."

The matter did not end there. Earlier this month, Aghi received another letter from the acting chief of the Justice Department's counter-espionage section saying he was "engaged in activities associated with India that may require his registration under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)."

In asking him about the "nature of his regular business and activity and services rendered to any foreign entity," the missive virtually accuses him of being an Indian agent.

The tone of the letter recalled an episode in the mid-1990s when the US government prosecuted an Indian-American activist for taking money from the Indian Embassy in Washington and funneling it into the US political system.

But an angry Aghi told Times News Network in an interview that at no time had he received any money from the Indian government and said that he suspected a political motive behind what he described as a witchhunt.

A staunch Democrat, Aghi has held fund-raisers for several Democratic law-makers, and his letter to Ashcroft was copied so more than a dozen Congressmen.

"I take pride in being a loyal Democrat, and educate Americans of Indian origin who are American citizens to vote for and support the Democrats. I do this because I believe that the Democratic party represents all Americans, and not just the rich, white and Christian, like the party you represent," Aghi wrote in his waspish letter to Ashcroft.

Incidentally, the consular official who is on the FBI radar, Abhijit Haldar, returned to India last year. Regardless of whether he was an intelligence officer or not, it is quite normal for friendly countries like the US and India to have spooks at embassies and consulates under various covers. Typically, the governments also exchange the identity of the spooks.

The CIA for instance will typically have a complement of analysts and operatives in the US embassy in Delhi under different innocuous sounding positions. Why Haldar came on the FBI radar was not something US or Indian officials were willing to address.

Aghi said that he was not the only one who had come under scrutiny. Geeta Sikand, a California dietician who is also an Indian-American activist, has been questioned by the FBI on the same suspicion.

Community activists in Chicago and New York are also said to be under scrutiny, although none of them have chosen to go public with their story.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm..

COntrast this Aghi fellow with the Indians who recently unseated an incumbent Democrat in .. I think Georgia or Virginia.. I forget in recent 2002 elections.

The incumbent was making false remarks against India and blaming India for Kashmir situation.

A lot of Indians go together and decided to work for the opposing candiate... and that helped the opposing candidate to win!

From the looks of it this Aghi fellow is typical of those who stand in front of gates of factories in India on a soap box and yell all kinds of things.

Arey bhai.. if you wish to be in US politics.. go for it.. but why make such a big hue and cry about it.