eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Why pressure cook?

For sarvi and everyone who have their concerns about pressure cooking.

What gives best taste to the food?
The taste comes from the natural flavors of the meat and vegetables. Seasoning is added but its not mandatory for any veg. In an open pan, we often overcook the veggies stripping them off the colors, its nutrients and its flavor. With a controlled pressure cooking technique, every ingredient is exactly measured and cooked with very little to no oil and very little to no water packing in its nutrients.

Traditionally, we have used a pressure cooker to dump everything in and make dals, kichadi (mushy) food. The recipes I am going to post will be structured, layered; essentially cooking food in its own juices. The layers are such that it will ensure perfect caramelization.

We will be cooking on highest possible heat at lowest possible time. We all know that steam is hotter than water. In steam, water boils at 100 C, but the temperature of the steam under these circumstances is 370 C. So you need less time to fully cook under pressure using steam.

While I have always loved cooking, these days I barely cook on open pans anymore. I just don’t see why I should spend hours on my feet when I can get equally and better product in a cooker.
We will also not be using too many spices. We will rely on the goodness of the vegetables/ meat.

And cooking starches with excess water and dumping it is not the ideal way. Its a myth that its an ideal way. With this new way, we will be using absorption technique for starches. We are going to have super yum biryanis and pulavs. We will be making kickass rajma masala and its likes as well as aloo gobi....and halwas. All in One Pot One Shot (OPOS). We will be just use one pot.

At the end of this, I will ensure you agree with me. Only request is, I need you all to try it before saying no or dismissing OPOS technique.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

EDIT: ALL I NEED FROM YOU IS TO FOLLOW THE RECIPE TO THE T.

Last edited by Aashika; April 4th, 2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:11 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why pressure cook?

Pressure cooking destroys the nutritional value of most of vegetables, specially the greens.

It's a time saver, sure. That's the only good thing going for it.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Pressure cooking destroys the nutritional value of most of vegetables, specially the greens.

Wrong. What destroys nutrients is the long exposure of vegetables to heat (open pan technique). Its a myth that pressure cooking destroys nutritional value.

Let me rephrase, the technique we will be using (highest possible heat at the lowest possible time) will ensure you expose veggies to heat for barely 5-8 mins. How will you get veggies cooked in under 5 mins (aka 2 whistles)? By cooking them in steam which is at least 3 times hotter than water itself in a controlled pressure cooker.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:17 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My thoughts exactly .. bang bang !!
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
Wrong. What destroys nutrients is the long exposure of vegetables to heat (open pan technique). Its a myth that pressure cooking destroys nutritional value.

Let me rephrase, the technique we will be using (highest possible heat at the lowest possible time) will ensure you expose veggies to heat for barely 5-8 mins. How will you get veggies cooked in under 5 mins (aka 2 whistles)? By cooking them in steam which is at least 3 times hotter than water itself in a controlled pressure cooker.
Which nutrients will survive exposure to 400 C temperature, even for a second ?? Starch, some proteins; but never vitamin C.

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
My thoughts exactly .. bang bang !!
absolutely not. You are mistaken. Loss of nutrients happens when you expose veggies to heat for a long period of time.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Which nutrients will survive exposure to 400 C temperature, even for a second ?? Starch, some proteins; but never vitamin C.
Every nutrient will survive as you are exposing it for a much lesser time to heat. Its not just the heat, its also how long you expose it to.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:34 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Pressure cooking, even the fibre loses a lot of its roughage. Exposure to low heat for just the right length of time does not count as prolonged. Anything will lose nutrients if overcooked. But for the just well done or slightly underdone, low heat gives better results every which way - nutrition, flavor, color.. everything.

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:36 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pressure cooking, even the fibre loses a lot of its roughage. Exposure to low heat for just the right length of time does not count as prolonged. Anything will lose nutrients if overcooked. But for the just well done or slightly underdone, low heat gives better results every which way - nutrition, flavor, color.. everything.
Yes, and most importantly the crispness is completely gone with pressure cooking.. imagine soggy beans.. yikes !
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

I agree. cooking in low heat for just the right time may work in terms of preserving the nutrients. However, to get the same result (without losing nutritional value and its color and texture) if you can cut down the time say like 75%, will you not want to do it?

Also RR, finicky veggies that are very high in Vitamin C and B, leak their nutrients into water. So, if you want to retain nutrients, adding too much water is not the way to go. So, you need some steam to keep the moisture in and yet not add water. You may argue, i can get that by covering the pot with lid. A valid point. But I am aiming to eliminate baby-sitting the pots.

Are you seeing my point?
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Yes, and most importantly the crispness is completely gone with pressure cooking.. imagine soggy beans.. yikes !
you havent tried it. How do you know its soggy? Its perfectly cooked beans. beans and crispy? you mean you meant to deep-fry the beans?

I do not blame you; for the longest time we have used our cookers to make dals and porridge's that it feels impossible to cook anything else in it.
Old April 4th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
you havent tried it. How do you know its soggy? Its perfectly cooked beans. beans and crispy? you mean you meant to deep-fry the beans?

I do not blame you; for the longest time we have used our cookers to make dals and porridge's that it feels impossible to cook anything else in it.
No, not fried, the beans have to be cooked just enough so they lose rawness, not any more than that. But also stir fry means frying in a pan.
Old April 4th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
No, not fried, the beans have to be cooked just enough so they lose rawness, not any more than that. But also stir fry means frying in a pan.
can you give me 10 mins of your life and try it first and then judge?
Old April 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

A great discussion going on... but nobody is giving any notice to the nutrients. What about the cruelty yo nutrients Any type of cooking, open-pan or pressure-cooking, will kill gentle and soft nutrients. This is ridiculous. What have they ever done to you that you treat them so inhumanely

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old April 5th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
A great discussion going on... but nobody is giving any notice to the nutrients. What about the cruelty yo nutrients Any type of cooking, open-pan or pressure-cooking, will kill gentle and soft nutrients. This is ridiculous. What have they ever done to you that you treat them so inhumanely
I think all we did in this thread is to fight for nutrients :P