eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old June 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Qn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of light
Should I tell my Boss?

Hi Friends, I need your help.

I'm interested in a position within my current organization but don't know how to go about it. The hiring manager listed for this position is the head of my organization but I'm not that frank with him cos he's based in NY and I'm in VA, so I've rarely had personal interaction with him.

I'm confused on whether I should speak to the hiring manager first OR to my current manager (who reports to the hiring manager) before applying for the position. I'm on good terms with my current boss, but I'm afraid he will hold me back cos there is a hiring freeze going in the company. However, if I speak to the hiring manager first, then my current boss may get offended and it may ruin our relationship.

I'm fairly confident that my qualification are the right fit for this position but I want to avoid being a victim of office politics. Itís been a while since I've been on the job market scene so; I'm a bit apprehensive. Help!
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

chaddipegaddi is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I tell my Boss?

quite simple
change your boss
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to the hiring manager. Ask him if you could be discrete about this discussion he will get the message. That way if the hiring manager does not think you are suitable for position than he will not be talking about it to anyone.
If he does decide to bring you over than he is your new boss. Whatever you do call him . Dont use email as means of communication. You may want to seek his time via email but talk to him and explain the situation. I am sure he will understand.

I dont think there anything that would offend your current boss
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

dirty has given you good advise. Yes, talk on the phone. At the most your boss might think oh you want to move. BUt you can explain it as I am looking for progress in my career. And this is not wrong. Your manager will understand.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

I think, you should tell the hiring manager that you are interested in the job but want to understand the role better before formally applying. And during your conversation with him/her point out to the relevant experience and how it matches with the job requirements. And then at the end ask him if you are a good fit or not.

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

nice thread and replies... i'll be in a similar situation sometime from now... shud think over this...
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Qn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of lightQn_of_sunshine is a glorious beacon of light

I followed Dirty's advice and spoke to the hiring manager. After our conversation, he asked me to apply for the position formally. Even if they don't make an offer, atleast now he knows I'm interested in something different. So, thanks everyone.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qn_of_sunshine
I followed Dirty's advice and spoke to the hiring manager. After our conversation, he asked me to apply for the position formally. Even if they don't make an offer, atleast now he knows I'm interested in something different. So, thanks everyone.
Hope everything goes well with you.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.