eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old December 1st, 2002, 01:39 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking CD-RW problem

I have a Dell computer loaded with ADAPTEC easy CD Creator v4. Also I have the DirectCD wizard from ADAPTEC.

When I try to format (to make it a direct CD so that I can copy my word documents and MATLAB programs like I do to floppy) it takes almost half a day and I end up with a audio CD. The same happens with easy CD creator when I try to make a DATA CD (although this one takes about 15 min. max). I have wasted couple of days without success. The Dell tech support guys (in Bangalore, to my surprise) were just as clueless as myself.

I have tried the following so far (without success ):

1) disable the startup menu
2) uninstall Norton utilites
3) Removed screen saver option
4) Uninstalled and re-installed the Adaptec software
5) Changed from Joliet to ISO format in properties menu on Adaptec pop up dialog box.

Why the hell would it make a audio CD when I want and click on DATA CD/ DirectCD is beyond me.

People at ROXIO (www.roxio.com) discussion groups have no answer either.

Has anybody here experienced similar problem with CD burner software?

As a last resort, I am going to format the damn hard disk and re-install Windows ME today.
Old December 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Talking

Adaptec Easy CD creator is a screwed up piece of shit - I had lost more than 10 CDs .... finally I gave up and started using other shareware programs downloaded from cnet.com download section.

Recently upgraded to Roxio's easy cd creator pletinum version 5 and this works better.
Old December 1st, 2002, 04:38 PM
A proud Muslim FULLSTOP!

loverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these parts
i m not sure if this applies to u (cuz i have a diff cd writing software!) or not but this is how i copy data to cd rom: if u dont get no1 below then dont bother reading anymore as this obviously dont apply to you
1. when you put a cd-r does it come up with options like what to do with the cd like open it, explore it etc? if it does then click explore/open it.
2. drag and drop the data u want into cd folder, (when u drop the items the document should have a + sign on it) what u do is select the command "copy these files to cd".
this should work again only if option no 1 displays different action that can b taken by u.
if else fails: pick up your cpu and smash it against the wall:
NA rahe ka bans na bajey gi bansri!
Old December 2nd, 2002, 06:01 AM
eCharchan

desinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these partsdesinetcharge is infamous around these parts
Talking

Try Nero Burn, I had problems with Roxio software and my burner but after installing Nero Burn I had no problems. I downloaded right off of Kaaza.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 06:59 AM
eCharchan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
I wud recommend Nero too
Old December 2nd, 2002, 07:06 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
If you have Win 2K, your Adaptec is going to give you lot of problems even if it is Easy CD Creator 5 platinum edition. You need to download a patch to make it work.

My system did not start unless in safe mode when I installed Easy CD Creator 5 platinum edition. I use Nero. It is the best. And it does not give you any bad CDs either.

If yor have XP, then I think you should use their built-in CD writing software (which is also Roxio/Adaptec). It is just awesome and churns out CDs very fast.

Since it does not finalize a CD, you can keep adding files to the CD until it is full in capacity.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old December 2nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
in Bartania

smartganduinuk will become famous soon enough
I write CD's almost every other day. And Dhuru, I use roxio on Win ME. Formatting the HDD wud not help you much. As you must know how to use the program.

For me it doesnt take more than 20 mins to do the whole cd full of data.

Finalising the session and other things will depend on where you wud want to use ur cd. Like I have to use cds on normal cd readers and hence I have to finalise the cds.

I think in your case, you are formatting the cd drive and then testing to write and then writing the data. This will take a lot of time. It will also depend on the specs of your cd writer.

Choose write at once or disk at once option without testing mode and it should not take u long to write a cd.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Nope Smarty,

I tried two options separately,

1) the formatting options so I can use it like a big floppy (this took forever and resulted in an audio CD)

2) the easy CD test and create file (make it like a CD-R), this took about 15 minutes and I ended up with audio CD even when I selected DataCD option.

Have you used Adaptec Easy CD creator v4 successfully before? Then I may have to call you and talk to you like a tech support. In that case, Please pm me your cell phone/mobile number

Yesterday Dell Tech support moron from Bangalore had me format my Hard Disk and was unsuccesful at solving problem and jumped to conclusion that it was a hardware problem.

I am going to try Nero and see if that works...If that works that may mean that Adaptec is a screwed up piece of shit as suggested by Zen....if that doesn't work, it may imply a hardware problem.

Please point out any flaws in my thinking above.

Last edited by dhurandhar; December 2nd, 2002 at 11:28 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Talking

All the best.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Folks

I too have a Dell PC with Win 98 at home since 1999. I have a Toshibad DVD/CD ROM drive and a CD-RW drive.

I have Adaptec Easy CD software etc.

I have no problems creating CDs but the new problem is that if I put in a DVD or a CD in the DVD drive, it cannot read it. The CD keeps spinning and I cannot access it at all.

I tried removing and then adding Hardware. Tried re-intsalling the drivers, but to no avail. Looks like a Hardware failure.

Any suggestions??
Old December 2nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
I don't know the solution but I really appreciate the problem.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
khurch pai..

I had a similar problem. The DVD/CD-RW drives have various speeds.. when I wrote at a speed higher than 2X it gave me this problem while reading.. otherwise it behaved fine.