eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 20th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Should foreign workers get the boot when Americans hurt?

An interesting article on Yahoo. Its about the current tedh scenario and foriegn workers.

Check the article here :

Click here for more

Last edited by echarcha; August 20th, 2001 at 01:16 PM.
Old August 20th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Come on folks

What do you think????
Old August 20th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
echarcha bhai,

Please post a bit of the article instead of just giving the link .. .. where have I heard that before ??

On the subject itself, I think the guy has a balanced viewpoint. Maybe if this recession continues, a congressman will take such a stance and try to do away with H1-B for professionals ..
Old August 20th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Naaa wont happen!! these guys will at most make it difficult (education/skillsets) to get H1's which is very good
Old August 20th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Saw this message in response to the article........sorry if its too long!!

I'm an Indian on H1B in the US. I'm not the partly educated, unable-to-speak-good-English type; I've managed to pick up an 'American' accent in the 4 years I've been here, have an IQ that's given me a place in American Mensa and do creative web design.

Most American citizens here seem to do nothing about the 'easy' life that a H1B holder lives in the US at the cost of true-blood Americans. Yeah right!!!!

I pay my taxes every year and that includes Social Security taxes that I am never going to get back. Why? Because the crafty US government has a rule stating that a person needs to have lived in the US for a minimum of 7 years to be able to get benefits out of the social security taxes he/she has paid. The valid period of a H1B visa is 6 years. Will I get the money I invested in my social security? What do ya think?

I live in a Christian dominated country that calls itself to be secular but declares national holidays on only days pertaining to the Christian religion. If you aren't a Christian or a Jew in the US, then you mean nothing. Ok, if you follow Islam then most prejudiced Americans think you are a terrorist and fear you - well, atleast you are feared, but a Hindu is not even acknowledged as someone belonging to a religion! In fact, most American Christians even think that I am of 'Hindi' religion and speak the 'Hindu' language!!! That comes out of reading the highly localized Cincinnati Post or the Columbus Dispatch all your life instead of a halfway decent newspaper like the New York Times. Try building a Hindu temple anywhere near a Christian church in the US and see what kind of protests one faces here - people are so blinded by religion(Christianity) over here and those who are not merely accept the fact that there are other religions in the world, not try to understand what those religions are about.

I have to endure ignorant questions such as 'Do you travel on elephants and camels to work?', 'Do you have television, cars, telephones?', 'Do you get married only through arranged marriages?', 'Are you vegetarian since you are an Indian?', 'You don't eat beef, right?', 'Do you have movies in India?', 'Do you eat monkey brains and bugs like in the Indiana Jones movie?', 'Do you eat rats - I heard that Indians do on radio', 'Do Indian women wear jeans?'...... Just in case some of you were really wondering what the answers to these questions are - 'No, unlike here, we have an excellent public transportation system with buses and trains that we use to commute', 'Yes we do have cars, televisions, telephones, computers, PDAs, Cellphones', 'We have a choice of choosing our own partners in life or trusting our parents to do it for us', 'Most Indian eat meat, and so do I', 'I love beef despite being a Hindu, merely because only religious Hindus abstain from eating beef', 'We produce twice as many movies in a year than Hollywood does', 'No, we dont really relish eating parts of primates or creepy, crawly things', 'Well maybe a couple of hundred weirdos do in a population of a billion people, but then some of your countrymen have been known to eat worms with their tequilla, eat crickets and placenta - does that mean that an all-american mean includes fried worms, placenta primavera and breaded cricket?', 'Yes Indian women wear jeans, though the extremely high temperatures often make the women want to wear loose-fitting clothes like chudidhaars and saris'.....

As a H1B holder I have to face such humiliating, ignorant questions from Americans educated in top universities and working in hi-tech jobs; I have to pay taxes part of which will not benefit me in any way, I have to celebrate religious festivals just by emailing friends from at my desk at work(since I have to go to work on that day, thanks to the 'secular' US Government), I have to face racial discrimination and now I'm blamed for the economy crashing in this country.

Sure, you are world's richest and most powerful country and can get by despite being arrogant and unfair.... I'm a submissive 'third world ugly' (as quoted by Chris Tucker in Rush Hour 2) and am willing to go back.... but first give me back the social security taxes that I've been paying you all these days. Until then, I shall continue to stay here, enjoy the facilities the US government has to offer, date American women and 'steal' the jobs of American computer professionals!!!

Mark Twain
Old August 20th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
*The crowd waits with bated breath for the Savior of White (M)Asses, one NRI, to come in on his white steed, holding aloft the US Flag*
Old August 20th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

shahenshah will become famous soon enough
while on the subject of the White (M)Asses..anyone read the book called Impressing the Whites by Richard Crasta??
Richard is an ex-IAS officer,now in the US doing some writing-shyting..and of the Revised-Kama-Sutra as his first novel fame...

Impressing the Whites is a pretty good read...!!!!

Old August 20th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Banned

karuna is on a distinguished road
Economic issues apart, I feel Indians working / residing abroad should keep remembering where they truly 'belong'. I feel quite sick listening to 'grapes are sour' cribs by Indians or Indians crying wolf who have been given the boot in foreign countries. If countries like Fiji cannot accept Indians who lived there for 5 generations and SriLanka cannot accept Tamilians (living there for good number of CENTURIES) as their own people, how can the well fed generally arrogant anglo-saxons truly accept 'lesser' races.

People who are living abroad should have 'rollback' plans for going back to India depending on necessity. Being deluded by the foreign 'culture' and 'advancement' NRIS should not commit the mistake of forgetting/cutting of their roots back home.

It may be nice to work for 'race equality', 'work place discrimination' etc. in the US, but there are causes dying for attention back home.

Lastly, it is better to go home and work for our causes than live like unwanted guests in a foreign land.
Old August 21st, 2001, 12:25 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

well said .. karuna

where is eNRI ?

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old August 21st, 2001, 12:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Indian
well said .. karuna

where is eNRI ?
eNRI is struggling to get a plastic surgery done so that he has white skin, blue eyes and blond hair.

Yes, well said Karuna
Old August 21st, 2001, 04:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

risingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura about
that was indeed a good one karuna....

but i do have my reservations

what you said is all ok. only what i ask from the so called 'more' (i guess opposite of 'lesser' will be more though i am not entirely comfortable with the context) races is to treat me atleast like a human being. i am not inanimate. You call me with a red carpet when you want me. but as soon as what you want me for is over you literally throw me out!!! thats not very fair, is it? i am not use and throw, am i?

going by the questions that were asked to the person whose reply we have seen, what if i ask every gora/amrikan i meet back home, whether he has sex with any female he meets like animals do, will he take offence? if he does, am i not justified in being offended if someone asks me if i travel to my office on elephants and camels?
Old August 21st, 2001, 05:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
I think when Indians go abroad, they should be mentally prepared for the "sack".

As for the red carpet treatment when they take you in, isn't that done everywhere. In a Company when you engage an employee, you give him the red carpet treatment but when the business is going down, it is a bye bye.
Old August 21st, 2001, 06:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Did I say this somewhere

Jaroorat padne par Gadhe ko bhi baap banate hei yeh Log

??
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 06:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

risingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
I think when Indians go abroad, they should be mentally prepared for the "sack".

As for the red carpet treatment when they take you in, isn't that done everywhere. In a Company when you engage an employee, you give him the red carpet treatment but when the business is going down, it is a bye bye.
its not just saying bye bye that rubs off wrongly. its the way it is said. not only are they booting us out, they are blaming us for their failures!!!! thats complete bullshit. i was talking of this treatment.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 07:16 AM

Not 7, it is 10 years

Quote:
Originally posted by videsee
I pay my taxes every year and that includes Social Security taxes that I am never going to get back. Why? Because the crafty US government has a rule stating that a person needs to have lived in the US for a minimum of 7 years to be able to get benefits out of the social security taxes he/she has paid. The valid period of a H1B visa is 6 years. Will I get the money I invested in my social security? What do ya think?
Max 4 credits per year and minimum of 40 credits to get SS retirement benefits.