eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old November 24th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Dell brings jobs back home

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...siness/2242314

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old November 24th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Wink Re: Dell brings jobs back home

Quote:
Originally posted by GunsNRoses
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...siness/2242314
the way your thumb is so tightly up I am sure you have a GC or atleast an EAD!
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of
What's an EAD?

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old November 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I can tell you one real life incident.

A company in Bay Area moved their call center to India. They moved it to Hyderabad. They got very low rates. Initially it was going okay.

Then it so happened that customers started complaining. The nature of the services (finance related) provided by the company was such that a customer usually made notes of whom they spoke with last and then next time when their issue was not resolved the customers used to say that such and such a person was handling their case. The new person used to look up the notes in the support software and try to help.

But herein comes the human element. You can document all you want about a case in the software, but there are some things which only a live person can remember or recall or know about what to do next.

Since there used to be a big turn-over/attrition of employees in the call center, every time a new person was handling the case and it would take a lot of time to go through the notes and then continue the help.

This irritated the customers. The company then moved to a different call center in Bangalore and paid a bit more for better services. This time it was the accent that started annoying customers. Customers used to call the hotline only when there was some financial mess in their accounts and so were not very patient. They expected quick responses and quick answers.

So the company now moved some of the jobs back into USA.

I know this because my friend works in the IT department.

One personal experience - The other day I called 411 on my Sprint PCS phone. I was connected to someone in India. I could make out the original accent despite the put-on American accent. I asked for the name of a store in place next to Sunnyvale. I had phoned 411 some months back to ask for the phone number and the phone call was routed within US. This time though the person at the other end was like clueless. Last time I had said thats it somewhere on XYZ Drive. The customer support rep. asked if it was like in a mall or or in shopping strip mall or if I was sure it was a Blvd. or a Drive in the address. This prompted my memory and I recollected and said - Oh yes. It was in a small strip mall.
Pat I got the number.

This time though, this call was routed to India and the guy there was clueless. He could not tell me anything. He just entered the name of the establishment and could not come up with anything. Then remembering my call last time I asked him to search for Drive instead of Blvd and to look for Macy's in nearby locations because this shop was close to a Macy's. Still no luck. Finally someone else came on the line. They took some time and finally located the number for me.

This was a one time incident and I dont say that all customer support in India is bad. Just that certain things are best done here and some things should be moved to India for sure.
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GunsNRoses
What's an EAD?
Employment Authorisation Document which is issued to you once you file your I-485 for Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident. (Green card)
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Spear Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
Employment Authorisation Document which is issued to you once you file your I-485 for Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident. (Green card)
Thank you much sir... that's been puzzling me for a while. Zen bhai, I've been a citizen for quite a while.

Old November 25th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Junior eCharchan

Jija is on a distinguished road
Dell denies shifting call centre from India to US
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Junior eCharchan

Jija is on a distinguished road
Dell puts tech support calls to India on hold

Dell, the world’s largest computer seller, is scaling down tech support calls to India because its corporate clients have complained about thick accents and poor service
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute
New Business Model

Now, lets look at further business Opportunities arising from this...

The call center business works presuming that Dell clients are in US. What about Indians in US who use Dell computers (must be a sizeable number), or other asians who use Dell. Why not route their calls to India. Ab dekho, ek average Indian IT engineer ko Dell ke Idaho call center wale Yankee ka accent kaise samajh ayega?

So dell should advertise like this:

24 hr helpline:

For English Dial 800-12345
For Telugu Dial 800-54321
For Punjabi Dial 800-121212

etc etc....

Maybe Dell needs a smart consultant like me....

Can someone come up with the script of how a tech support query in Hindi would go.... be inventive!!