eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
So whats the reason for you to not accept my friendship request on FB
Do not quote, foo

Sent from my iPhone.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I had two. One strictly personal ... sort of account my friend got into trouble with.

Other initial account I believe had something to do with Landyabhai or Spriteji's. I cannot recall why I would have done that. I treat other people's privacy with same zeal as I treat and protect my own. I had two requests in this account but had no way of knowing who they were. My apologies if you were one of two. Too late to do anything about it anyway ...
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com

Last edited by tantric_yogi; July 9th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Saala, quote nahi karna to post kahe kare ho? Hum to quotunga. Tum jitna mana karo, utna zyada quotunga
Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Please do not quote. FOUR ... world has gone voyeur and some of us didn't know ... world is Jim Carrey film, we are in a bubble, bosses at FB and Google watch and control our lives ... a great majority of FB members do not know how system works ... or people no longer care of privacy.

Spriteji ... this happened to a friend of mine ... he falls into 3rd category. He absolutely had no idea how FB worked and still doesn't know how were they able to connect hundreds of dots. All he did was open an account. All he did was provide full name of 5 words. All he did was give his date of birth and Patna here in Bihar as his place of residence. Is all he did. He received three or four dozen requests for friendship from people he had forgotten and no intention ever of reviving contacts or friendship with ... all this happened in less than 48 hours. He wondered at how of it ... all these people couldn't possibly be searching daily and waiting for him to join FB? So how did FB software connect him to these people? He wishes he had waited to find out. All he did was let couple of friends of his wife befriend him ... is all he did and forgot all about it. Within one week he decided and deactivated his account. Later he decided to play it safe by deleting the account ... deactivate in FB lingo meant nothing. Final shock was when he went in to request deletion. It was a nightmare ... its not funny when your wife's friends become friends with your old long-forgotten friends with whom you dare not wish your wife to be friends with!

Through the course of life ... we interact with hundreds of people ... hundreds of people who have nothing in common with each other and nor do they know each other is the beauty and best part of a person's life ... FB helps those hundred people get in touch with each other and more and more ... and final result is you ... lying naked inside a transparent glass jar on the shelf of a busy grocery store.

Please do not quote.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old May 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

sprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post

. My apologies if you were one of two. Too late to do anything about it anyway ...
Wtf....so that means any person who i communicate through emails get friendship request without me knowing? Time to delete email accounts from FB

Apologies badriji if you got one from my side, I don't even know your first and last name or geographic location. So the question about searching you on internet doesn't arise (when was the last time I even searched for a person I knew? beats me..). Mofos have got 'free' access to my email contacts is the only explanation

apologies again
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite View Post
Wtf....so that means any person who i communicate through emails get friendship request without me knowing? Time to delete email accounts from FB

Apologies badriji if you got one from my side, I don't even know your first and last name or geographic location. So the question about searching you on internet doesn't arise (when was the last time I even searched for a person I knew? beats me..). Mofos have got 'free' access to my email contacts is the only explanation

apologies again
Spriteji ... relax ... take a deep breath ... relax. You had absolutely nothing to do with my debacle. What i meant ... simply put ... I joined FB because of you or Landyabhai ... I cant recall why. You two may have mentioned it in passing, I don't really remember. Two requests could have been from my friends or from Swamiji as he mentioned. This 2nd account I had was for fun anyway. I have no regrets for this 2nd account.

FB is fun ... if you got no girl friends still in love with your handicap. I just cant understand no more ... shouldn't married women forget ex-bfds and surrender totally all to husbands with tan man dhan? Morality (whatever it may be) is going down the drain faster than horse on a racetrack.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account

Delete your face book account

Old July 8th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

Germany is going to take legal action against Facebook!

Quote:
Germany officials launch legal action against Facebook

By Maggie Shiels
Technology reporter, BBC News
German officials have launched legal proceedings against Facebook for accessing and saving the personal data of people who do not use the site.

Facebook could face fines of tens of thousands of euros under privacy laws.

The social networking firm confirmed it had received a letter about the action.

"We consider the saving of data from third parties, in this context, to be against data privacy laws," said Johannes Caspar, head of Hamburg's Data Protection Authority.

Mr Caspar said he had received a number of complaints from people who had not signed up to Facebook, but whose details had been added to the site by friends. He accused Facebook of saving private data of non-members without their permission, to be used for marketing purposes.

Switzerland is also reported to be concerned about the use of third-party data.

Facebook has until 11 August to formally reply to the legal complaint against it.

The California-based company told the BBC in an email that it was "currently reviewing (the complaint) and will readily respond to it within the given time frame".

"Millions of Germans come to Facebook each day to find their friends, share information with them and connect to the world around them," wrote spokesman Stefano Hessel.

Facebook has nearly 500 million users worldwide but according to figures by ComScore is only the fourth biggest social network in Germany.

'Human right'

This is not the first time the social networking site has landed in hot water with data protection officials.

At the beginning of the year, Canada's privacy commissioner launched an investigation into the site following complaints about privacy policies.

And back in May, Facebook faced a storm of criticism for the way it handled members' data after unveiling new privacy settings.

A number of US senators made public calls at the time for the company to rethink its privacy safeguards.

Consumer Watchdog said it was not surprised that Europe was driving this latest legal action against Facebook.

"There are much stronger privacy laws in Europe than here, where privacy is viewed as a consumer protection issue as opposed to a fundamental human right," the group's John Simpson told BBC News.

"We see that a number of Silicon Valley companies don't really understand how seriously privacy issues are taken in Europe and they will continue to run afoul of data protection laws there. I also think there is a growing reaction in the US that we should beef up our privacy laws along the lines of those in Europe."

Street View

Germany has some of the world's most stringent data-protection laws, while the Hamburg Data Protection Authority has a reputation for taking possible privacy breaches by internet companies seriously.

It was the first to launch an investigation into search giant Google for intercepting personal data from unsecured wireless networks while gathering photos and data for its popular Street View project.

That investigation is still going on, although last week Google said it was close to handing over the data it had collected to German officials.

A number of other countries have also launched investigations while more than 30 states in the US are considering pooling resources to investigate whether Google broke any laws.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...gy/8798906.stm
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Nonetheless, EC, Facebook seems to be going great guns in USA, with Americans checking their Facebook before ...

hey, a lot of desis here are americans now, right ?

Quote:
Wake up America, check Facebook
AFP, Jul 8, 2010, 09.48am IST

Tags:Internet|Facebook|America|social networking|Obsession
WASHINGTON: Americans are increasingly obsessed with Facebook and many young women check their page even before using the bathroom in the morning, according to a poll.

Thirty-four per cent of the women aged 18 to 34 surveyed by Lightspeed Research for Oxygen Media said checking Facebook was the first thing they did in the morning, even before washing their face or brushing their teeth.

Twenty-per cent admitted they sneak a peek at Facebook during the night while 26 per cent said they get up in the middle of the night to read text messages.

Thirty-nine per cent of the 1,605 social media users aged 18 to 54 surveyed for Oxygen Media, a service of entertainment giant NBC Universal, in May and June described themselves as "Facebook addicts."

Fifty-seven per cent of the women aged 18 to 34 said they talk to people online more than face-to-face and 31 per cent said they feel more confident about their online persona than their real life one.

Sixty-three per cent of the young women said they use Facebook as a career networking tool, but 42 per cent said they did not think there was anything wrong with posting photos of themselves visibly intoxicated.

Forty-eight per cent of the young women said they find out about news through Facebook while 41 per cent said they use Twitter to keep up to date.

Fifty per cent of single women aged 18 to 34 said it's okay to meet and date other singles they meet through Facebook compared with 65 per cent of single men.

Six per cent of the young single women use it as a way to "hook up" as opposed to 20 per cent of men.

Men aged 18 to 34 are also more likely than female counterparts to break up using Facebook 24 per cent for men compared with nine percent for women, the survey found.

InsideFacebook.com, a site dedicated to the social network, said meanwhile that Facebook's growth slowed in the United States in June as it picked up only 320,800 new monthly active users last month compared with 7.8 million in May.

Inside Facebook said the slowdown in growth could "simply be a blip."

"But in the years we've been tracking the demographic data, we've rarely seen a dip like this, so we would tend to favour the idea of a root cause," it said.
Link le lo
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old July 8th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Q: Why is a survey, proving Facebook users have lower grades than non-users pointless?
A: Because Facebook users tell everyone how stupid they are with their status updates on a daily basis!

Q: In addition to the social networking site Facebook where else can you find Mafia members?
A: "Controlling all the trash hauling in Second Life"

Q: Why is Facebook a great site for loners?
A: Because it's the only place where they can talk to a wall and not be considered an loser!

Q: What happened after three Duke football players were kicked off the team for gun possession?
A: Gilbert Arenas sent them Facebook friend requests!

Q: What happened when Dick Cheney tried to reach a younger demographic?
A: He shot Facebook in the face, while hunting for Twitter.

Come to Myspace and Twitter my Yahoo
Til' I Google all over your Facebook.

Q: When FaceBook, MySpace and Twitter merge into one super social networking company what will it be called?
A: They will call it "My Twit Face."

Q: How ugly was my ex-girlfriend/boyfriend?
A: So ugly that Facebook banned her/his profile pic and sent her back to Myspace!

Q: What happened after hackers shut down Twitter for a day?
A: Twitterers were relegated to communicating the old fashioned way, through Facebook!

Q: If Facebook is a loft in the city and Myspace is a house in the suburbs, what is Twitter?
A: A trailer park!

Q: What did the twitterer say before committing suicide?
A: My Facebook can remarry!

Q: Why did Atlanta Falcons lineman Quinn Ojinnaka post bail after getting into an altercation with his wife over facebook activity?
A: Because he was afraid of going to jail and really being poked!

Q: Why shouldn't you pay for a Classmates.com membership?
A: Because Myspace and Facebook are free!

Q: How do you know if your Fortune 500 CEO is a pedophile?
A: He has a facebook account!

Q: What happened after Miss New Jersey, Amy Polumbo, lost her crown due to racy pics being leaked from her Facebook Account?
A: Amy Polumbo received a million friend requests!

Q: How did the gringo get the hispanic day laborer pregnant?
A: By sending her a friend request on Facebook!

Q: Why did John Connor lead the resistance against the machines?
A: Skynet refused to give John a Facebook friend request!
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

Quote:

Mod note ... Swamiji ... wish we had thousand active so we won't give a hoot for feelings of an individual member, we don't. So in a small
Last edited by tantric_yogi; May 20th, 2010 at 08:07 AM. community such as ours ... we must try and respect individual member's wishes and pay heed to their requests irrespective of reasons. Hope you agree. In all fairness member did make a request.
Trying to READ only.

Old July 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

There you go. All of you who love Facebook, now your information is for all to see!

Facebook is really a pathetic entity!

Quote:
Details of 100 million Facebook users published online
Users' personal information cannot now be made private, security consultant say

The personal details of 100 million Facebook users have been collected and published online in a downloadable file, meaning they will now be unable to make their publicly available information private.

However, Facebook downplayed the issue, saying that no private data had been compromised.

The information was posted by Ron Bowes, an online security consultant, on the Internet site Pirate Bay.

Bowes used code to scan the 500 million Facebook profiles for information not hidden by privacy settings. The resulting file, which allows people to perform searches of various different types, has been downloaded by several thousand people.

This means that if any of those on the list decide to change their privacy settings on Facebook, Bowes and those who have the file will still be able to access information that was public when it was compiled.

STORY CONTINUES HERE
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
RajaJani

janibhai will become famous soon enoughjanibhai will become famous soon enough

Sites such as FB make people living boring and mundane lives feel like they just joined a group of elite.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Title: deleted 12:21 PM

amritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
so y'all are on linkedIn? I have heard people look for linked in profiles for prospective job candidates and that getting a reco on linkedIn goes a long way in impressing prospective employers?
I thought so too but that did not help. There are other ways LinkedIn is helpful. They have become too much money minded lately.
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Exclamation Re: One more reason to not use Facebook

3 Colombian teens on Facebook hit list killed in past 10 days
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM

What do you do or how do you find out if your FB account has been deleted permanently?

You delete the account. You follow the procedure and email FB to delete it permanently. It will be deleted in two weeks and you will be informed, so says the receipt email. Months go and you receive no further email of deletion confirmation. What do you do now?

Normally all you have to do is try to login to find out if account has been deleted permanently, right? Not with FB or such sites. Any attempt to login to find out if account deleted by you has or not been permanently deleted REACTIVATES your account. See the trap?

What do you do now?