eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Junior eCharchan

bhola_insaan is on a distinguished road
Help with Mumbai travel

Hello Everybody,

I need some help in travelling in Mumbai for the one thing we H1b guys are eagerly waiting for --- the Immigration interview. I am quite unaware of the roads and traffic conditions in Mumbai and therefore would appreciate your inputs and timely guidance.

Next week I will be travelling to Mumbai and my reservations have been made(tentatively) at the

Taj President,
90 Cuffe Parade,
Colaba Mumbai, 400005

My question pertains to

How far is Breach Candy Hospital from this Hotel?
My medical appointment is at 7:30AM. Would the traffic be free enough to allow easy travel at that time?

My Immigration interview is at 8:30AM. Same question here also.

I would really really appreciate the input of all familiar-with-Mumbai echarchans in this thread.

Thank you.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Hi

Taj Mahal Hotel, the famous landmark opposite Gateway Of India is quite a distance from Breach Candy Hospital which is near the US Consulate.

If your appointment is at 7:30 I assume you have to be there atleast 15 minutes in advance to finish any paperwork or get in line or whatever. Since you are going to Breach Candy, I also assume that you are going for stamping your green card or what they call Consular Processing.

I will suggest that you start from yoru Colaba location atleast an hour in advance. You should be in a taxi-cab by 6:15 AM sharp. Though you will face traffic coming from North Mumbai towards South Mumbai (Colaba is southernmost tip) you will surely face a lot of traffic. So start early.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:15 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Breach Candy Hospital and

US Consulate are very near to each other so you should have no problems going from hospital to Consulate.

Since you have interview for immigration, I can assume you are picking up your medical reports and taking them over to the consulate. If you get out of the hospital by 8:00 AM, you can take a lesirely stroll and reach the consulate within minutes.

You should have not stayed at the TAJ, there are other places closer to where you wish to go. If you can cancel your booking, then try for places near Mahalaxmi temple or near AltaMount road. Try Peddar Road too.

ShivSainik and chirag2000 , our members, should be able to shed more light. I have not been to Mumbai in 2 years now.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:19 AM
Junior eCharchan

I should have made it a little more clear.

The medical appointment and immigration interview are on different days.
Also the hotel is the Taj President, not the Taj Mahal.
http://www.mumbainet.com/hotels/president/index.htm

That said, you mentioned that traffic would be oncoming. Are the lanes different (divided)? If that is the case it should not be a problem.

Do confirm.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally posted by bhola_insaan
I should have made it a little more clear.

The medical appointment and immigration interview are on different days.
Also the hotel is the Taj President, not the Taj Mahal.
http://www.mumbainet.com/hotels/president/index.htm

That said, you mentioned that traffic would be oncoming. Are the lanes different (divided)? If that is the case it should not be a problem.

Do confirm.
Hello,

Seems like you have not been to Mumbai before. Yes we do have divided lanes like one going North and one going South. So cars dont cross over the lanes to change directions, except at signals. But this is Mumbai and traffic is a chaotic situation

So, the hotel you mention is at Cuffe Parade. Yes, I mistook it for the Taj Mahal opposite Gateway Of India. Infact Cuffe Parade is still far away from the Consulate. Cuffe Parade is on t he Western tip of South Mumbai and Taj Mahal opposite Gateway is on the Eastern tip of South Mumbai. It will take you enough time.

Even with new flyovers, etc. in Mumbai - as a born Mumbaikar - I can only advise you to START EARLY. Does not matter if you have enough time left in hand once you reach your destination.

For the 7:30 appintment you might not face as much traffic to reach Breach Candy, but for the 8:30 appointment you will face a lot heavier traffic load because thats when more cars start coming in and by 9:00 SOuthern Mumbai is all crowded as offices start filling up.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

See the attached map

You will be living at the point marked 1 and will be travelling to point marked 2.

So start early.
Attached Images
File Type: gif mum-map.gif (40.8 KB, 47 views)
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
Junior eCharchan

Yes. on both occasions, I will be leaving early ~6:15-6:30 AM.

How about returning? When does the traffic become bad?
I understand after 5:00pm, it would be rush hour, but for how long?

My direction would be opposite this time around.

Any way, I am not worried about returning a bit late to the hotel.

It is the early morning that I am worried about.

Thank you Echarcha.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Check more detailed map here

http://mumbainet.com/cityinfo/images/sbombay.jpg

Traffic in Mumbai is busy throughout the day. Usually it lulls down from 10:00 Am till 12:00 noon and then there is lunch crowd. Then again it lulls from 1:00 PM till 3:00 or so. Then it picks up again. Again its not a rule of thumb but you can find lulls in traffic depending where you are. Once your work is done, dont worry about traffic. Enjoy my city while you sit in a cab on your way back to the hotel

Though you are going to be in Mumbai for a short while, I am sure you will like my Mumbai Mumbai Meri Jaan
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Sunit, I notice Sanjay Gandhi National Park? Who was Sanjay Gandhi that his name is given for a national park or anything else. He wasn't a PM or President.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
Senior eCharchan

baapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
Sunit, I notice Sanjay Gandhi National Park? Who was Sanjay Gandhi that his name is given for a national park or anything else. He wasn't a PM or President.

Indira gandhi ka ladka tha na

uss time main sab indira gandhi ke chamche the, kisi ne object nahin kiya hoga
SABKO HAI PATAAAAAA............
Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
In India we have a true plethora of sycophants and mepotism runs amok in politics. Sanjay Gandho was the son of the Prime Minister in power Mrs. Indira Gandhi.. so the rest is.. you know it.

They used to name any hutment or chawl are also as Indiara Gandhi or Sanjay Gandhi Nagar in those days to somehow prevent demolition if it came to that.