eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Junior eCharchan

desiguitar is on a distinguished road
Filing PERM and GC based on L1B

Hi all,

There is not much activity here. But as i saw one thread posted on this section. So thought of asking my doubts in here. At least there will be some one who can point me to to right forum or something.

I have recently moved to US on L1B. As of today my employer is ready to file for PERM. The only confusion for me is to be on L1B and file for it or change my status to H1B and then go ahead.

The current scenario which i have selected is to be here on L1B for another two years and start the PERM process. In between around 2014 i will initiate change of status from L1B to H1B. Which in turns will give me freedom to extend my stay here.

Is this a good option. ? The only reason i have selected this to be on L1B is that my spouse gets EAD and one can work here at least for sometime being on EAD. Then it is sure that you will not be once you get your status converted to H1B.

Do this way of handling it can have some problem later on. What best way to be in the race.?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
DesiGuitar.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Filing PERM and GC based on L1B

File thru L1. Dont you bypass the labor process in that case? That saves you several years.

I could be wrong, so please dont construe the preceding statement as legal advise. Me (Smellyfinger), echarcha.com and any of its esteemed posters explicitly specify that any comments or suggestions made on this forum are for entertainment value only and should not be taken as legal advice.

Cheers
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Junior eCharchan

Smile Re: Filing PERM and GC based on L1B

Well i am well aware of the fact that this is discussion forum. I appricate your help and responses.

On the matter of fact, Avoiding Labor process is only true for L1A, another category. I am on L1B, that means i ride in the same boat.

- Regards,
Desiguitar
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:19 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I was not aware of L1B but if you can skip labour cerrtification then there is nothing like it.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Junior eCharchan

I spoke to my HR and it seems there isn't a way to skip the labor. It is same as H1B. The only difference as i mentioned is that spouse get a chance to apply for EAD.

L1B has its limitation with the renewal. H1B does not have that limitation. So there are trade-offs involve.

I was just wondering changing status from L1B to H1B later down the road shall not disturb PERM/GC processing? I have asked my HR and to lawyer. It seems it is safe bet.

But wanted second opinion as to see if somebody is riding in similar trail )

Thanks,
Desiguitar
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguitar View Post
I spoke to my HR and it seems there isn't a way to skip the labor. It is same as H1B. The only difference as i mentioned is that spouse get a chance to apply for EAD.

L1B has its limitation with the renewal. H1B does not have that limitation. So there are trade-offs involve.

I was just wondering changing status from L1B to H1B later down the road shall not disturb PERM/GC processing? I have asked my HR and to lawyer. It seems it is safe bet.

But wanted second opinion as to see if somebody is riding in similar trail )

Thanks,
Desiguitar
Tell your HR that you want to speak directly with the immigration attorney that your company works with. Discuss details with the attorney. If HR refuses, then stop being a cheapskate and spend $200 to talk to an immigration attorney for 30 minutes. This could impact your whole life/career and may save or cost your years of waiting. Dont cheap out and ask these questions on public message boards.

Your objectives and your company's objective may not be aligned from a standpoint of the speed of processing the GC.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Junior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Tell your HR that you want to speak directly with the immigration attorney that your company works with. Discuss details with the attorney. If HR refuses, then stop being a cheapskate and spend $200 to talk to an immigration attorney for 30 minutes. This could impact your whole life/career and may save or cost your years of waiting. Dont cheap out and ask these questions on public message boards.

Your objectives and your company's objective may not be aligned from a standpoint of the speed of processing the GC.
I agree, i think i should do that. On another point, any idea about good public message board. I posted on few which are admin based.. but dont see up these messages being listed out for months. So i thought of asking up here.
Thanks.