eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Oh I dont need a GC. I will return to India. OOoh.. now I need one!

When I came to the USA on a H1/B visa in January 1998, I had only heard about the Green Card. I did not know the details.

Within six months I realised that working in USA on a H1 visa was just like working in the Gulf on a work permit - you did not really have freedom to work at any company you wanted. H1 was a bug hurdle everytime you wanted to change a job.

I remember conversations with colleagues and some friends who had varying views on this topic. Some would say that getting a Green Card ties you down to your employer for 3 to 4 years and they exploit you. So its no use applying for one till you get a job on H1 in a company of your choice.

Then there were some who would say - No Green Card please. I want to return to India.The reasons would be varied like kids wont grow up in a proper culture to I want to go back and settle down.

Those good 'old' days of the Internet boom were really good as many would jump jobs despite long H1 processing times.

Then came the crash and many had to return and many managed to stay back.

Much before the Internet economy crashed, I had made a conscious decision to apply for a Green Card. My reasoning was that whether I wanted to settle in USA or go back to India, I should have the freedom to work at any company just like a US citizen has. H1 will tie me down to my contractor for 3 or more years but then after that I would be free to do as I wish.

Among the group of colleagues and friends, only 4 of us really applied early on in 1999 and today we all are happy at our decision. Happy because we dont have to worry about H1 visa hassles, projects coming to an end, etc. Those who did not apply are now worrying about things like projects ending and the prospects of returning to India when they are not yet ready.

Some of these folks were the ones who were like - GC? Baah.. I want to return home. These same folks now have kids but want to stay here! Well, I cannot comment on their change of heart, but I do sometimes feel like saying - "I told you so!" Suddenly many folks who cannot get GC applications in time are now bitter that they have to go back to India forcibly! And these were the folks who would say that - "IT is booming in India. I am going to buy a nice place in Pune/Bangalaore/Hyderabad/Chennai/Noida and settle down in a cushy job!"

I am not berating or making fun of these folks, but I wonder that why was a GC looked upon as such an emotional issue and not a practical issue? Why did folks think that a GC would prevent their return to India? Why would getting a GC cause their kids to suddenly become trashy kids and not have proper culture? Come on folks, the Green Card is a important license to work . Period.

I know a couple of people who have returned to India even after having a GC. Teh GC served them well for many years as they could change jobs and try different ventures here. GC should be looked upon as an enabler and nothing else.

I write this today because a close friend has had to go back against his will. I used to egg him to start his process long ago but he would just keep delaying. Now he is desperate to stay a year outside USA and again come back on a H1!! (And yes he has a kid too!)
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
Re: Oh I dont need a GC. I will return to India. OOoh.. now I need one!

if you have the option you must apply for the green card. only then can you have complete flexibility and choice. if you are eligible for a green card you've got to be mad not to apply for it. what's the harm? you can go back to india any time but it will be by your choice, not out of forced circumstances.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakil sahib
if you have the option you must apply for the green card. only then can you have complete flexibility and choice. if you are eligible for a green card you've got to be mad not to apply for it. what's the harm? you can go back to india any time but it will be by your choice, not out of forced circumstances.
Another friend who was all about - India kya maast hain. Main to chala - just a year ago, is now going through hoops to get his 7th year H1/B extension as his Green Card application is in process. He changed his decision within 6 months to apply for a GC. I think when he realised that his time was up here, he suddenly rationalised that he can go back once he has kids so that kids will have proper culture. Till then its fine to work here.

I wanted to really laugh at his face for still keeping up the pretense of I will return for sake of culture and upbringing! What are other Indian kids? Rapists and monsters?? I know this is a personal issue with everyone about raising kids, but I wanted to laugh because the same old lame excuse and pretense is being put forth to justify the reversal of an earlier decision

Anyway, I wish him luck and may he get his GC soon. Just that I thought of writing on this topic today because a friend who is now not in USA, was chatting with me and was saying things like - "Bangalore is crowded. It takes a while to reach office. The traffic is bad and folks still dont obey traffic rules. Work is fine but its all driven by the US team. This is .. That is.. Ohh.. Aaah.. Hmmm.. I wish.. Ohh no.. I think US is good to make money. Once you have kids one can come back..."

I wanted to yell back - "Why did you not apply when others were?" Anyway, I am sure he will be back within a year or so.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Very true echarcha. One can overcome few obstacles that are caused by H1 by getting a GC. With a GC, one can have a careless attitude and jump from one job to another trying to achieve whatever goals of life, one has set. With H1, one is worried, what happens if the project ends ? How am going to get another company that will sponsor my H1 ? Will I have to go back ? It can affect many things in daily life too. Am applying mine next month
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of

What is the usual processing time for GC nowadays, my company says within 6 months of working I could apply for GC and they wud sponsor....but kitne saal lagta hai ismein? is there also any regulation abt not being able to leave the country while GC is being processed?
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Arrow Re: Oh I dont need a GC. I will return to India. OOoh.. now I need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawizard
What is the usual processing time for GC nowadays, my company says within 6 months of working I could apply for GC and they wud sponsor....but kitne saal lagta hai ismein? is there also any regulation abt not being able to leave the country while GC is being processed?
Kal tereko bolta hoon.. Abhi ghar jaa raha hoon.. Tab tak www.murthy.com jaake thoda dekh le.

Last edited by echarcha; June 16th, 2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
When I came to the USA on a H1/B visa in January 1998, I had only heard about the Green Card. I did not know the details.

Within six months I realised that working in USA on a H1 visa was just like working in the Gulf on a work permit - you did not really have freedom to work at any company you wanted. H1 was a bug hurdle everytime you wanted to change a job.

I remember conversations with colleagues and some friends who had varying views on this topic. Some would say that getting a Green Card ties you down to your employer for 3 to 4 years and they exploit you. So its no use applying for one till you get a job on H1 in a company of your choice.

Then there were some who would say - No Green Card please. I want to return to India.The reasons would be varied like kids wont grow up in a proper culture to I want to go back and settle down.

Those good 'old' days of the Internet boom were really good as many would jump jobs despite long H1 processing times.

Then came the crash and many had to return and many managed to stay back.

Much before the Internet economy crashed, I had made a conscious decision to apply for a Green Card. My reasoning was that whether I wanted to settle in USA or go back to India, I should have the freedom to work at any company just like a US citizen has. H1 will tie me down to my contractor for 3 or more years but then after that I would be free to do as I wish.

Among the group of colleagues and friends, only 4 of us really applied early on in 1999 and today we all are happy at our decision. Happy because we dont have to worry about H1 visa hassles, projects coming to an end, etc. Those who did not apply are now worrying about things like projects ending and the prospects of returning to India when they are not yet ready.

Some of these folks were the ones who were like - GC? Baah.. I want to return home. These same folks now have kids but want to stay here! Well, I cannot comment on their change of heart, but I do sometimes feel like saying - "I told you so!" Suddenly many folks who cannot get GC applications in time are now bitter that they have to go back to India forcibly! And these were the folks who would say that - "IT is booming in India. I am going to buy a nice place in Pune/Bangalaore/Hyderabad/Chennai/Noida and settle down in a cushy job!"

I am not berating or making fun of these folks, but I wonder that why was a GC looked upon as such an emotional issue and not a practical issue? Why did folks think that a GC would prevent their return to India? Why would getting a GC cause their kids to suddenly become trashy kids and not have proper culture? Come on folks, the Green Card is a important license to work . Period.

I know a couple of people who have returned to India even after having a GC. Teh GC served them well for many years as they could change jobs and try different ventures here. GC should be looked upon as an enabler and nothing else.

I write this today because a close friend has had to go back against his will. I used to egg him to start his process long ago but he would just keep delaying. Now he is desperate to stay a year outside USA and again come back on a H1!! (And yes he has a kid too!)
There was a time when it was relatively easy to get a GC. Nowadays, not many employers agree to process GC. It's too time consuming and costly. Plus, employees leave right after getting their GC.

People who sat on their asses for long are now regretting.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:21 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
There was a time when it was relatively easy to get a GC. Nowadays, not many employers agree to process GC. It's too time consuming and costly. Plus, employees leave right after getting their GC.

When one comes in to North Americas (USA, Canada) one is an Indian.. so wants to go back to desh.. then living here and working to build a life one wants to enjoy the comforts/lifestyle/status achieved.. but for that then starts the almost decade long GC process and all that comes with it like not being able to visit family in India at times for years, may be having them visit you instead. Meanwhile one's attitude towards India would have changed over the years..
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post

Hope and wish you arent amongst those chootias ,pseudo deshbhaqt dhakkans.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzva View Post
Hope and wish you arent amongst those chootias ,pseudo deshbhaqt dhakkans.
Nope...I'm not an Indian anymore. Now Im a foster child of America mata.