eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute
Marrying for Green Card.

I knew this for long time, and refrained from posting here, but this thread prompted me to post.

Marrying for Green Card.

How many of you unmarried echarchans living in US without GC (Green Card) will marry a non-desi citizen chic just for the sake of GC?

I know this person, (Gulti) came to US on H1, "fell in love" with white chic, married her, stayed with her keeping all kind of family relations with her family dumped her after his GC got renewed. Now this guy is a no true techie. He is just B.Com from some univ in India and some "computer courses" from some private institute.

No, this is not a case of genuine divorce. Why? Because right after divorce he went to India and got married with desi chic. And also moved out from that town.

This is bad, lot of Indians did contract marriages for GC. But this is too much.
How can someone do this? I mean pretend you married for LOVE, for two years, maintain all kind of social/family relations and dump the girl for your desi item?
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marrying for Green Card.

a friend of mine married a moti gori bhais for GC... The worst thing she's a high school drop out (altho very street smart) and divorced at 20... all friends used to forbid him to continue relationship when he was doing masters...

pencho took that buffalo to Patiala and married with proper Hindu ceremony... imagine his parents dream of getting their only son married in grand style...
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Is the divorce easy after getting the GC ?
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Marrying for Green Card.

In California, they do a very detailed check when you go for a green card based on marriage to a US Citizen. Our local 7/11 store type store had a desi clerk. He had 'married' this Mexican woman for sake of green card. The deal was simple. He would pay her 1000 dollars a month and they shared the same apartment. Her name was on the lease. He had to open a joint bank account with her too. Basically he created a complete picture of a married couple living together.

During interviews at the USCIS, they do ask each candidate separately about personal habits and traits. You will be surprised what they ask - 'What is your favorite color? What is your wife's favorite color?'

What food he/she likes? What food does he/she dislike? What is your favorite soda? How did you meet? How long you knew each other? When did you decide to marry?

They basically ask you things which a proper married couple would know about each other over some time.

And the biggest thing in this case is that this woman was married for convenience of green card about 2 o 3 times before. The system is in place to verify facts, but there are ways to circumvent it and make it all legal. The USCIS officers probably knew that this was a sham marriage but these guys had all the necessary evidences to prove they were married. Laywers also know how to 'advise' such cleints on these 'procedures'.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

There was this Punjabi lady from Canada who was into such stuff too... also some woman from UK...

apparently this happens quite a lot in Blacks too... lets not cast desis as being the only ones who do it...
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose I get married to a gori over there for a green card later on after I get my green card will she not blackmail me to give divorce
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Amtha bhai, I knew a gujju fellow. Let me tell. This guy was working at same company as me and we went for H1B visa stamping at the same time. We came here, worked at different companies as contractors through our consultant company.

After about 2 years I met him by chance with a desi girl. We chitchatted and started talking about Green card. He said he recently married the desi girl with him. First I thought she was his colleague or something as she had the same identity badge as his. He explained that his parents knew her family and so they got married.

Now this girl was a total american sized gujju girl. This gujju fellow was a smart looking guy and I am sure many Gujju Alpas and Jalpas would have swooned over him, but he married this moti bhais maniben just for sake of green card.

Later he met me once again and this time he was alone. I asked him point blank that had he planned for this marriage. His tone was quite different. He said bluntly - 'I could have continued on my H1 and then my Green card, etc. But his wife was the only daughter and his in-laws very rich and well settled. They owned about 15 dry cleaner shops in East Coast. Also had a mortgage finance brokerage business and a grocery store. So why take headaches for GC process. My parents also thought this was best and I too find it convenient.'

I am sure they are still happily married. After all, the whole property of his in-laws will one day be his. So this guy had planned from the beginning. It seems his parents had 'fixed the rishta' before he stepped into the USA.

Amtha baba, you will find all kinds of stories like this.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Suppose I get married to a gori over there for a green card later on after I get my green card will she not blackmail me to give divorce
If you give a divorce immediately after green card you will have problems while renewal or basically during your citizenship process. For people with green cards due to marriage, the waiting period of applying for citizenship is just 3 years and not the usual 5 years for other folks.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

People marry for all kind of reasons. Its all abo later
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Super eCharchan

Remember seeing AA ab laut chale,staring Rahul Khanna and Aishwarya,it was something to do with marrying for green card

Edit
Sorry it was not Rahul Khanna but Akshay Khanna
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Is the divorce easy after getting the GC ?
It's like any other divorce. Just keep your money outside of this country.
Also, if you marry an American, you don't get a GC. You get a passport.

Last edited by Ravi; June 15th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

In my freshman year in Texas, we had this Vietnamese guy who was in my class. He tells me one fine day that he was getting married. I said congrats and asked him when he was going back to Vietnam. He shows me a photo of a white girl and says he marrying her. I asked him how long he's been seeing her. He said his aunt fixed the marriage. Thats when I understood it was all for GC.

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

goris,kaalis are fine for whambam...but for shaadi....cant imagine yaar....btw bihari babus do free contract marriages in thailand for the citizenship..stupid thai girls marry them and divorce after they get PR for free...why???just because bihar is the birth place of buddha...no wonder biharis know what it takes to survive in any part of the world
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

yeah there was a case of arranged marraige here where the girl and boy met on shaadi via their parents and got married . LAter though they started having problems in their marraige mostly because she complained the guy was a pakka miser . She used to tell us she wants to divorce him but would never do it . Until i finally realized that she was waiting for her GC to come through . Once it did she divorced him .